Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
Re: What is needed to ensure the peaceful future of the worl [Re: zeronio]
    #1404388 - 03/23/03 07:13 PM (21 years, 10 days ago)

But what if the war turns out long and bloody?

It won't be. The Coalition forces have accomplished a lot allready. Iraq has no chance in winning.

What if Bush gets reelected?

I seriously doubt it will happen.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: What is needed to ensure the peaceful future of the world? [Re: mntlfngrs]
    #1404545 - 03/23/03 09:47 PM (21 years, 10 days ago)

Well if we want a peaceful world I think we will need to go about acheiving it through peaceful means. To me that is blatantly obvious.

Heres an extreme scenario and it is purely illustrative.

Say we  monitor Saddam closely via the UN and inspections but also allowed him to sell his oil freely to rebuild his country and lift all non-military sanctions. Do you really think he would launch an attack on us? Do you think this kind of behaviour would breed resentment and hate throughout the Muslim world? It is unlikely. Now say that one of the extremist groups that would still remain decides to launch an attack equivalent to 9/11 again at a western target. If we respond peacefully with dignity, realising that the terrorists are a minute portion of the muslim world, and do not launch attacks on the scale of those in Afghanistan do you think Muslim respect for the west would increase or diminish? I am not saying the perpetrators should escape punishment. They should be hunted down as individuals. Im sure our Muslim brothers would help us.
Now this would be a hard path to walk and Im not saying we should renounce the use of force entirely, not immediately anyway, but we should definitely not involve ourselves in any preemptive actions if long lasting world Peace is our goal.

I have thought about World Peace many times and for me it alway comes back to one single obstacle - Greed. This world is abundant with natural resources. It is also abundant with man made resources. In fact if the resources of the planet were divided equally every citizen on planet earth would be a millionaire. This is obviously idealistic but it is a goal we can move closer towards if not acheive entirely.
It is greed that keeps 90% of the resources in the hands of 10% of the world. It is greed that dehumanizes people to others suffering.  I see greed as taking more than you actually need at the expense of others. How we move past greed im not sure, I think it is something that needs to be done on a personal level and hope that this kind of thinking becomes prevalent enough to make it a primary feature of the next paradigm. I dont think greed is intrinsically evil, I think it was neccesary to provide the impetus for parts of human evolution but now it is more a hinderance to the evolution of the species.
I love Peter Russels analogy of the global brain awakening. When you see yourself as a part of a global organism, neurons perhaps?!, the relevance of personal greed diminishes, in fact it becomes abhorrent.

I agree that some form of world government is needed but one that is without greed.
Evolution is a puzzle we are now creatively steering evolution rather than being the blind recipients of its gifts. If we cannot solve the puzzle we will lose the game.
I like Tim Leary's formula for evolution - Smi2le

Space Migration + Intelligence increase and Life Externsion. I think the intellignece increase element relates to the puzzle of greed and thinking in terms of the planetary being rather than us being discrete elements running around on the surface of a dead rock.

So im a freaky utopian space cadet - I dont care! :grin:

PEACE 

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

Re: What is needed to ensure the peaceful future of the world? [Re: GazzBut]
    #1404680 - 03/24/03 12:38 AM (21 years, 10 days ago)

I see your point and have thought the same way many times. I feel like the era of WMDs have made that a lot harder and extreemly dangerous. It is conceivable that someone with the resources and the time could destroy an entire continent. And while most of the world might live contently and in peace in you scenerio, it would only take one crazy in power to destroy it all. And if noone retains the ability to fight what chance would the world have against him? I just think that there will anyays be the one.

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

Anonymous

#1404699 - 03/24/03 01:10 AM (21 years, 10 days ago)

As long as men can obtain positions of power, there will never be peace on this earth. Power corrupts, and people are led along like sheep in the name of patriotism. Countries need to be abolished and seen as the evil that they are. Stop loving your countries and start loving your fellow man, is there really any other way?

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

Re: What is needed to ensure the peaceful future of the world? [Re: ]
    #1404712 - 03/24/03 01:34 AM (21 years, 10 days ago)

Some sort of governance in needed. Even if there was no crime, how do you provide infrastructure to billions of people?

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #1404792 - 03/24/03 02:53 AM (21 years, 10 days ago)

Well I dont think we should lay down our arms completely but I cant see how preemptive attacks can move us towards peace.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: What is needed to ensure the peaceful future of the world? [Re: ]
    #1404797 - 03/24/03 02:57 AM (21 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

Stop loving your countries and start loving your fellow man

Sorry. Most of my fellow man (and Women) are too stupid to live and spend their time hanging out at anti american websites, playing in front of bulldozers, homicide bombing civilians, crashing planes into buildings, raping, murdering, not caring enough to learn the issues and voting and just generally cramming their heads as far up their own asses as possible.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlinesirreal
devoid
Loc: In the borderlands
Re: What is needed to ensure the peaceful future of the world? [Re: I_Fart_Blue]
    #1404801 - 03/24/03 02:58 AM (21 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

I guess this really boils down to the point of life eh? But I think as a whole humans want there to be a purpose for our existance. I just don't believe in one.

There is a purpose. Wether that purpose is just biological (Life trying to work itself out in someway) or spiritual, well, that is up to the individual to decide. But there is a purpose.

--------------------
I may not always tell the truth, but atleast I'm honest
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Loc: SItting on the Group W Be...
Re: What is needed to ensure the peaceful future of the world? [Re: sirreal]
    #1404813 - 03/24/03 03:04 AM (21 years, 10 days ago)

:smirk: If you say so. I don't buy it.

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

Offlinesirreal
devoid
Re: What is needed to ensure the peaceful future of the world? [Re: I_Fart_Blue]
    #1404837 - 03/24/03 03:15 AM (21 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

:smirk: If you say so. I don't buy it. 

What is there not to buy?

If there is no greater purpose there still is the purpose of procreating and perpetuating life. 

--------------------
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

#1404852 - 03/24/03 03:22 AM (21 years, 10 days ago)

There is nothing to buy. Too many people take life for something more than face value. There is no purpose, no reason for "procreating and perpetuating life", and that was kinda my original question anyway.

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

Edited by I_Fart_Blue (03/24/03 03:22 AM)

Offlinesirreal
devoid
    #1404866 - 03/24/03 03:29 AM (21 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

There is nothing to buy. Too many people take life for something more than face value. There is no purpose, no reason for "procreating and perpetuating life", and that was kinda my original question anyway.

How can you say that? It defies logic.

Even if a monotheistic God does not exist, how can you say that there is no purpose in perpetuating life. You , personally, may not have a good reason to perpetuate your genes but life is headed somewhere.

Even evolution , Leaving god out of it completely, suggests that there is a purpose to this. You may not see any meaning to this purpose, but it is a purpose nonetheless.

A purpose does not require a God. I am not trying to be confrontational, I just want you to understand what I am saying.

Yes, man may destroy himself and never realise his purpose.

--------------------
-----------

Edited by sirreal (03/24/03 03:52 AM)

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

#1404875 - 03/24/03 03:37 AM (21 years, 10 days ago)

See, that is kinda my point. People try to apply logic to life. Life in and of it self is illogical. Life is just a coincidence. Humans seem to perpetuate this lie that life is actually going somewhere in order to make ourselves feel better. It isn't. Life just is. Evolution only suggests that the organisms or traits which are best suited for existing at a set point in time prevail. I see what you are saying, as I said before, I just don't buy it.

--------------------

Offlinesirreal
devoid
    #1404882 - 03/24/03 03:43 AM (21 years, 10 days ago)

Even if life's only purpose is to survive and adapt to its environment and to try and expand it's boundries, It still has a purpose. Just not a purpose designated by a God. 

I have a purpose with or without a God. I do see what you are saying though.

And once again, I am not trying to sell you anything. :smile:

--------------------
-----------

Edited by sirreal (03/24/03 03:43 AM)

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

#1404892 - 03/24/03 03:48 AM (21 years, 10 days ago)

I agree with you that there is a biological purpose. Every species has inborn desire to further life. I guess that's supposed to mean something. Whatever it is I have no idea.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order