Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Personalities Reflected In Appearance?
    #1400296 - 03/22/03 11:01 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Who here thinks that one's physical appearance is an accurate representation of one's personality? I'm not talking facial expressions showing moods and such. Like, say you look at an old man. You can sort of tell which ones grew bitter from their outlook on life as compared to the ones that live life for what it is and love living, right? I think that you can tell that a women is going to be sweet and loving just by her general appearance. A kid that is always shy around other people is going to start to develop features that reflect that.
Maybe I'm just crazy, but my predictions based on their appearance usually seems to hold true. And I'm not judging people by the way they look here, I'm just making interpetations from the way they hold themselves and the feeling they give me.
I can't really do a good job of saying what I'm trying to say. Does anybody sort of agree with me?

Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
Re: Personalities Reflected In Appearance? [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1400347 - 03/22/03 11:30 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

The eyes ARE the window of the soul, and they can reveal a great deal. So can the microexpressions on a 'shifty' person's face. Body language as a whole is very revealing. The way that individuals carry themselves easily demonstrates what chakra energy predominates their personality - whether they are violent, or sexy, or aggressive and power-tripping ego, or whether there is gentleness present, or high intelligence. Sometimes it is difficult to read a person correctly since there are so many possible interactive variables. But, you are not crazy. It is not just a perceptual function though, there is quite a bit of intuition that goes along with these perceptions. The Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) can tell us a lot about the personalities underlying their physical manifestations. So can the Constitutional Psychology of William Herbert Sheldon.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Personalities Reflected In Appearance? [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #1400357 - 03/22/03 11:36 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

THIS was the type of post I was hoping to get back. (LOL)
I agree with everything you said, and basically it is what I meant, but every once and awhile I come to a loss of words..
The intelligence of the viewer comes into play as well, because it is the way that WE interpret their appearance. I consider myself highly intelligent and believe I for the most part weigh the variables correctly.
Anyways, thanks for sort of clearing up what I said.
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Anonymous

#1400379 - 03/22/03 11:49 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Well I believe that one's etheric body directly affects the appearance of their physical body, so one's soul essence (the personality that's developed over many lifetimes of experience) will show in their facial features to an extent. This isn't exactly what you were saying, I know, but I agree that one's personality in one life can shape their physical appearance slightly. One thing that I can tell a lot about people from is their eyes. Like, people with big wide eyes really do tend to be "wide-eyed" and more innocent and child-like in their life outlook. There seems to be consistency of personality by eye color/tone also. A person's eyes reveal so much to me that I can sometimes even tell when someone is not acting true to themselves, and putting on a social facade. The eyes never lie! Interesting topic, btw.

Offlinejono
misc.
Loc: Sydney, Australia
    #1400597 - 03/22/03 02:01 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I agree wholeheartedly with what you are saying Fireworks God, Ive often thought similar things myself. It is difficult to put into words exactly.

I also agree that the eyes are the windows to the soul. I feel that I can tell so much about what a person is thinking, feeling, etc, just by looking into their eyes. Some people I have great difficulty looking into their eyes when Im talking to them, because I feel such negativity coming from them.

Cheers,
Jono.

--------------------
Our problem results from acting like cowboys on a limitless frontier when in truth we inhabit a living spaceship with a finely balanced life-support system." David C. Korton

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Personalities Reflected In Appearance? [Re: ]
    #1400648 - 03/22/03 02:21 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

The appearance thing (NOT body language) has been shown to be false. In mock trials where the jury did not know that it was fake, they almost always convicted the scraggly, ugly, short defendant (an actor) and exonerated the tall, handsome, well-dressed defendant (another actor).

So much for the generic public's ability to "read" a person.

Not directed to Max: But Swami, I am different and more evolved than the average guy and really CAN read a person; after all, I ate some fungus...)

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Personalities Reflected In Appearance? [Re: Swami]
    #1400939 - 03/22/03 04:53 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Remember Ted Bundy? The serial killer from the early 80s? Every one of his victims thought him to be sensitive, caring, intelligent, attractive and charming. One woman even accpeted his marriage proposal AFTER his conviction.

--------------------

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
    #1400971 - 03/22/03 05:00 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I once saw this chick with an upturned nose, so that her nostrils faced a little more forward than most people's. She looked stereotypically snotty and bitchy, and when I pointed this out a friend pointed out that if everybody interpreted her features as I did and treated her accordingly, then she's probably a snotty bitch only because that's how everybody expects her to act.

OfflineFunGuyFan
Stranger

Loc: Hack Hack Cough Cough
Re: Personalities Reflected In Appearance? [Re: Dogomush]
    #1401231 - 03/22/03 07:00 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I don't see someones personality in their physical features except for the eyes. The way people look at you can tell you a lot about how they feel about themselves as well as you. I see a lot of personality in the way people carry themselves as well, their cleanliness and the way they dress, not necessarily the type of clothing they wear but how they wear it.
I get more info on a person through vibes than anything else. I have trouble explaining myself to others a lot because I go on emotion more than anything else. I just get these overwhelming waves of emotion from other people that is sometimes difficult to deal with. I have found that if I meet a person that that makes me emotional than that is usually not a good thing.
Maybe I have not aknowledged all of the signs in physical appearances yet but that seems to be an iffy way to to go about reading others. Everyone can be fooled. One thing I do know if that my gut instinct or subconscious never lets me down.

--------------------

"Don't touch me while your laughing maniacally"

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Personalities Reflected In Appearance? [Re: FunGuyFan]
    #1401569 - 03/22/03 09:30 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

One thing I do know if that my gut instinct or subconscious never lets me down.

No, not you, just everyone else. Would you care to take the Swami Gut Instinct Challenge and wager a large sum of money on a talent that NEVER lets you down? I doubt it.

--------------------

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
    #1401592 - 03/22/03 09:44 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

ENTER THE SWAMI

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
    #1402013 - 03/23/03 05:02 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

You're welcome. Your intentions were clear, I was just 'corroborating' your perceptions.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineFunGuyFan
Stranger

#1402402 - 03/23/03 07:55 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Well I guess I should not have used the word never. :blush: That was my bad. :crazy: I don't think that I have some special power. I can't really think of a time when my gut instinct was wrong but then again my memory isn't the best. I do know when I have gone against how I feel is usually when I realize I should have listened to myself in the beginning. I do misread people on just appearance I think we all do.. 

--------------------

Invisiblexganon
polydrug abuser
Loc: here
    #1402663 - 03/23/03 09:38 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

It doesn't count if actors are involved. They're trained to make people misread them. If someone is trying to make a jury dislike them as their profession, of course they're going to be more likely to be convicted. What does this have to do with the topic at hand?

--------------------
Please remove all dollar signs from my listed contact information

Offlinenubious
1up on the rest

Loc: Canada
Re: Personalities Reflected In Appearance? [Re: xganon]
    #1403219 - 03/23/03 01:25 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Would you care to take the Swami Gut Instinct Challenge and wager a large sum of money on a talent that NEVER lets you down? I doubt it.

I've come to realise that Swami doesn't actually work.. he just bets on people who troll the forums .. how much have you made so far there big guy?

--------------------
No one knows the worth of innocence till he knows it is gone forever, and that money can't buy it back. Not the saint, but the sinner that repenteth, is he to whom the full length and breadth, and height and depth, of life's meaning is revealed. Good and evil loose all objective meaning and are seen as equally necessary and contrasting elements in the masterpiece that is the universe.

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #1403235 - 03/23/03 01:33 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Interesting. I've always found myself think while talking to people, "They look exactly how they act."

--------------------

OfflineFunGuyFan
Stranger

Re: Personalities Reflected In Appearance? [Re: nubious]
    #1403257 - 03/23/03 01:39 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Are you insinuating that I am a troll?

--------------------

OfflineLoverofEarth
spirit on ajourney

Loc: the in-between
Re: Personalities Reflected In Appearance? [Re: FunGuyFan]
    #1403404 - 03/23/03 02:39 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Does the mind effect the way the body and appearance are formed? A depressed person may not eat enough, have bags under the eyes and so on. I would say the mind effects the body. The personality is part of this mind. Judging someone by their appearance is like judging a book by its cover. You might guess right, but it is such a small part of what it is.

example
I am reasonably attractive when looked at from the front (or not, its all subjective right?). I feel that the side of my face is unnattractive. Big head and whatnot. I would say that this represents that I am not wholly truthful, and if someone digged just a little they would see a completely different person. I wear a shell around me, hiding my emotions, but just below the surface I am foul. This also plays out in other areas of my body. I have a hernia above my navel (some fucking lump) which means (to me) I am rotten on the inside, very insenscere and decietful. It's all subjective.

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
    #1403486 - 03/23/03 03:10 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

There's a guy in my physics class who looks like Robert De Niro and seems to have a similar personality that a Robert De Niro would have  :grin:

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Personalities Reflected In Appearance? [Re: chodamunky]
    #1404087 - 03/23/03 07:01 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Apparently Robert De Niro himself is fairly shy and reserved. Your image of him is most likely a reflection of his characters.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology