Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepete_gasparino
Identification request
    #1398439 - 03/21/03 12:12 PM (21 years, 13 days ago)

Hi,
Could I get an ID on these please? Found growing in backyard in large cluster, growing out of soil/wood mulch...it's autumn now, I live on the south coast of australia, fairly cool temperatures...stem is whote, fairly thin, maybe half a centimeter wide, hollow. Cap is creamy white with gold in the middle, concave? (points upwards fairly steeply) shape....im taking a spore print now ( how long would this usually take, maybe a few hours?) but it looks to be coming a darkish color, maybe black or dark blue...
Sorry if it's a bad picture but the batteries on my cam ran out

cheers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Identification request [Re: pete_gasparino]
    #1398587 - 03/21/03 01:10 PM (21 years, 13 days ago)

Hard to say, can you describe the gills, spores? What colour does the felsh go when cut or broken? any more pics??

--------------------

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Identification request [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #1398775 - 03/21/03 02:41 PM (21 years, 13 days ago)

yea dude more info and you'll get a good id probly. peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Offlinepete_gasparino
    #1398785 - 03/21/03 02:46 PM (21 years, 13 days ago)

Hi there,

gills were brown in colour, fairly close together. The spore print seemed black but it wasnt too successful. I don't think the flesh bruised any colour but again I'm not sure. There's a big patch in the yard so I'll check for you in a little bit. I've got a few more pictures but they are a little unclear.

Oh and one more thing I forgot to mention, they had little holes in the caps which were staining kind of black, but I couldn't really be sure if they were staining or were just dirty? It hasn't rained here in a few days but it's been cool weather.

Thanks alot

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

#1398796 - 03/21/03 02:55 PM (21 years, 13 days ago)

if there were black spores then then that could explain the black on the "holes" of the cap i dont know what they are probly a panaleous sp. wait for someone like mj or toxic they'll know peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Offlinepete_gasparino
    #1399115 - 03/21/03 05:36 PM (21 years, 13 days ago)

One more thing I forgot to add......I have a sheep so theres some sheep dung around, but these didn't seem to be growing from the sheep dung...about a foot away there was another big cluster of similar (but still different in some ways) looking mushrooms, which also grew on the side of a tree...hasnt rained here in a while but temperatures are cool.

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1399240 - 03/21/03 06:25 PM (21 years, 13 days ago)

I would guess that they are Psathyrella hydrophila... a mushroom that should not be eaten in anyway.

Another guess would be some sort of Psathyrella species...

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1400417 - 03/22/03 10:10 AM (21 years, 12 days ago)

Oh, a second look makes me think that they could also be a species of Coprinus.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Re: Identification request [Re: angryshroom]
    #1401711 - 03/22/03 09:52 PM (21 years, 12 days ago)

Coprinus do have black spores, but tend to grow (with the exception of shaggy-manes) on decaying wood debris. They also tend to have strong striate margins.
Id say it is a non-active panaeolus.

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1401988 - 03/23/03 02:21 AM (21 years, 11 days ago)

I'll guess Panaeolus campanulatus.

Angry, I agree that there is a resemblance with some of the Coprinus. Since it is Australia, it's possible they have one of the non-deliquescing Coprinus species that we don't in the US. Bluemeanie, you're right about Coprinus in general, but we should remember that the genus is so inconsistent that the molecular biologists are in the process of splitting it into 5 genera.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan
Re: Identification request [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1402022 - 03/23/03 03:07 AM (21 years, 11 days ago)

these are definately coprinus. this speceis is common on lawns near and on treestumps
heres a picture of freeza and some. sorry its blurry.
panaeolus dont grow on wood or wood mulch.

Edited by Mitchnast (03/23/03 03:08 AM)

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Identification request [Re: Mitchnast]
    #1402030 - 03/23/03 03:15 AM (21 years, 11 days ago)

Yeah, I dont think they look like Panaeolus campanulatus as well. As I have found this mushroom many times, the shape, and colors are not the same.

Also, the way that the mushroom is decomposing or aging in the first picture is a lot different than a Panaeolus would. Panaeolus also have darker stems... the stem resembles an off white, which is really delicate like a Coprinus.

Lastly, Panaeolus do not grow that close together... They will be growing in groups, but never relaly touching eachother. The caps are a lot different shape.

I still think its a Coprinus...! :smile:

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Identification request [Re: angryshroom]
    #1402497 - 03/23/03 06:26 AM (21 years, 11 days ago)

OK, OK...

In spite of what's said above, they look in the photo like they're growing in grass, which is a common habitat of Panaeolus.

The growth habit is more typical of Coprinus, and that's a good point. If we put them in Coprinus, then they most resemble Coprinus atramentarius (Coprinopsis atramentaria). The stems are a bit thin, but the first photo on this page is reasonably close in appearance. The ones I find are more usually like the second photo there.

pete_gasparino - are they turning into ink-like sludge? Unless it's very dry, they should by now have become puddles of inky goo if they're like most Coprinus. There are Coprinus species which don't deliquesce, but if they are deliquescing it would definitely settle the issue in a definitive way.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #1402805 - 03/23/03 08:41 AM (21 years, 11 days ago)

THose are no way Coprinus, Maybe a lawn psathyrella. HE says they have a light brown spore print and Coprinus is jet black and so are Panaeolus, Anellaria and Copelandia.

This is not either of those species, and I am veery familar with Coprinus atrementarius and that is definately not a Coprinus.

mj

Offlinetastyshroom
Mr.Shroom
Male

Loc: Washington
Re: Identification request [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1402853 - 03/23/03 09:02 AM (21 years, 11 days ago)

wait are jet black spore prints poison or are they good...because i found i nice little patch but i got a black spore print..they looked similare to those..but they had little ridges on the sides..like straight indented lines down the cap..with a nipple on top..if they are psilocybe shrooms..i better go pick those..are they powerful if so?

--------------------
Perspective on life always changes

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Identification request [Re: tastyshroom]
    #1403103 - 03/23/03 10:41 AM (21 years, 11 days ago)

Sorry I p9osted that in the wrong post.

I was referring to Mitchnasts new species. I apologize for the confusion.
I was responding when my computer crashed. By the time I came back online I opened the wrong post.

Was just checking now and saw the above posted imae and those are C. atramentarius.

Again, sorry.

mj

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

#1403121 - 03/23/03 10:48 AM (21 years, 11 days ago)

That was my point as well. They appear to be growing directly from grass rather than wood debris. They do resemble Coprinus, but im now thinking that they could be Psathyrella candolleana.
This link might help:
http://www.hiddenforest.co.nz/fungi/family/coprinaceae/psathyrella.htm#candolleana
Similar holes in the cap etc. And browny sporeprint.

--------------------

Offlinepete_gasparino
Re: Identification request [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #1403144 - 03/23/03 10:58 AM (21 years, 11 days ago)

Hi,
well I went out this morning and yes, no more mushrooms....rather strange really, I checked and they were fine last night then this morning they were gone, I couldn't see anything except some black sludge on the ground. They were growing adjacent to a clump of similar mushrooms which I'll post pictures of later...the other mushrooms are also decomposing....spore print was coming up black BTW but it didn't turn out very well.
Thanks again

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1403603 - 03/23/03 01:52 PM (21 years, 11 days ago)

That kind of settles it. The black sludge is what's left of the mushrooms. And the consensus seems to point towards Coprinus atramentarius. They are edible, but you must not consume alcohol within 3 days or you will become very ill. They're not very good to eat, anyway.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

#1404491 - 03/23/03 08:32 PM (21 years, 11 days ago)

tasty if you get a jet black spore print on a gilled mushroom its not poisonous. in the panaleous or copelandia genus' some are active most are not. check and see if they bruise blue. get an id here after you pick to be sure tho. peace

blaze2

--------------------

Thomas Jefferson

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals