Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinepete_gasparino
Another request
    #1398764 - 03/21/03 04:38 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Hi,
went on a trek today and on the way back I stumbled across this very very strange looking mushroom....I thought it might have been a ripped up tennis ball at first! It looks kind of like a fly agaric, and it had already been slightly torn. The places where it had been torn it had stained a royal blue color. This was growing in the soil/leaf mulch on the ground in a bushy area on the south coast of NSW. No cow dung directly nearby but its an area where there's alot of cows. It doesn't have gills as such but rather pores, which are of an orange colour but were stained darkish in the center.

The stem is pretty thick and of a white colour, maybe half an inch wide and the cap itself is quite big...ten centimeters diameter maybe. It was a pale reddish colour with little balls (like an amanita muscaria) on the top.

When I tore the flesh I observed an intense blueness, and the points where it had already been torn it became obviously blue.

I haven't been able to take an accurate sporeprint yet. It was a little dry when I found it - would this be a hinderance to my attempts to make a print? I've put the two parts on piece of brown paper in a small drawer, cap down (there's one part that's half the cap torn, which was how I found it, and one with half the cap still attached to the stem) - will this work?

Thanks and I hope someone can help me out,

Cheers

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Another request [Re: pete_gasparino]
    #1398963 - 03/21/03 06:36 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

That's an interesting bolete. I suspect that it is a species which we don't have here in North America, so I won't have it in any of my books.

Spore print color will be significant, because it will be one of the primary things to help us get the right genus. Another thing to look at is the surface of the stem - is it smooth, reticulate (like there's a fine net on the surface), scabrous (sort of hairy, look up Leccinum to see what I mean), or something else?

With the orangish pores, I'll make a wild guess that it's in genus Boletus. In the eastern US it would resemble Boletus piedmontensis, except that species has a smooth cap. Yours almost looks like the cap of a Strobilomyces (which I'm pretty sure it isn't), except for the color (all the Strobilomyces I know are almost black). Given the orange pores and blue bruising there's a good chance it isn't edible, and it may be poisonous.

A first glance around the internet left me without a boletus key for Australia, but I'll look a bit more and see if I can't find something which might get us closer. You might want to check the local library or book store for some books on mushrooms down under. Another thing to look into would be a local mycological society - they would have people who will be familiar with your local species who would probably be quite happy to help you.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinepete_gasparino
    #1399095 - 03/21/03 07:30 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Hi,

Thanks for the help :smile: The spore print's not really coming out, I'm not sure why..what I do have of the spore print is kind of dark brown/orange, but that could just be some pore residue. The stem isn't hairy but it's sort of striated...like it's all white but its made up of vertically travelling white 'pieces'..sort of like a treetrunk. There's a tiny bit of hair near but not quite on the base.

thanks again 

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1399243 - 03/21/03 08:26 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Try printing it on a peice of foil or black paper... Boletes prints are usually light colored.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification