Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinestew248
Stranger

Myco bag question
    #1397794 - 03/21/03 09:19 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I got a myco bag with rye berries and I innoculated it a month and half ago. Within a week it started to grow mycelium, but the berries dried out and the mycelium stoped growing and kind of shriveled up. So i put a little bit of water in a plastic tub and set the bag in it, and put the tub on a heating pad. Water formed on the sides of the bag, and ran down and rehydrated the berries on the side. The mycelium started growing again and was really thriving. The problem is only the berries on the side of the bag got the moisture. There for the mycelium only grew on the side of the bag. It was obvious that it was not gonna spread anywhere else in the bag, so i was wondering if i can open the bag up and take out the mycelium that had grown, and plant that in the compost, then throw away all the other rye berries that were all dried up. I guess what im asking is how much mycelium do i need to plant it in the compost and have it work. A friend of mine said you only really need one berry covered in mycelium for it to case the compost. Only about 20% of the berries were colonated. I hope hes right because if not i fucked up my little project.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleChe_Night_Soil
Koinoniphobic

Loc: Commonslaughtia
Re: Myco bag question [Re: stew248]
    #1398074 - 03/21/03 11:26 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Isn't the recommended substrate:spawn ratio 10:1? If you're close to this, I'd think the uncolonized rye can be tossed w/out any worries, spawn away. This guy I know extracted his uncolonized seed under sterile conditions, and his spawn is working fine.

--------------------
if(human==autoPart){
for(i=1;i<infinity;i++){
getBorn(mind,soul);
getEdu(mind,soul);
getJob(mind,soul);
retire(mind,soul);
die(mind,soul);
}
}

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: Myco bag question [Re: stew248]
    #1398153 - 03/21/03 12:09 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

you can also inject sterilized water, and you can massage the wet berries and the mycelium around in the bag. It will grow a lot faster.

Offlinestew248
Stranger

Re: Myco bag question [Re: daussaulit]
    #1398194 - 03/21/03 12:31 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I don't have a syringe. My bag i got was from homestead. I figgure if it doesn't work they'll just send me a new one. I tried to tip the bag upside down so all the dry berries would collect the water that was on the side of the bag. It still didn't start growing. I don't know i haven't had the best luck with myco bags anyway... I found a place around here that sells brown rice flower, and i got a bag of virmiculate, and some jars.. so i think im gonna just go head and try doing it that way.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation