Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleeric_the_red
 User Gallery

Loc: happy land
blocking a certain url from sending you info with win 98
    #1397526 - 03/21/03 07:57 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

this may be a stupid question, but is there a way to block particular sites from sending info to your computer? i have noticed that a lot of the pop ups i get are coming from the same sites. surely, there is a way to make my computer not accept any incoming data from those sites.

for example, if i click on an online gaming site, online gambling and netflix ads from two other sites come up too. then there are those damn autoinstalling programs that come outta nowhere and before you have a chance to stop it from loading, you have a new program somewhere on your drive that you have to find and uninstall. those really piss me off.

does anyone know how to take care of these?

--------------------

Anno cock? is that some kind of Greek liqueur? -Geo's All Knowing Sex Slave

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineYSJ
ThoughtShopper

Loc: Undisclosed at this time.
Re: blocking a certain url from sending you info with win 98 [Re: eric_the_red]
    #1397960 - 03/21/03 10:34 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

IIRC, even Win98 should have a HOSTS file (e.g., WinNT4's/2k's is under C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\ ) - in there, you can always block irritating sites/IPs by simply setting them to localhost; after the following in the HOSTS file:

127.0.0.1 localhost

Those who (for example) use KazAALite avoid the evils of Brilliant Digital by adding the following:

127.0.0.1 www.brilliantdigital.com

Any site set to 'localhost' would then send your clients searching your own machine for that site (which doesn't host it).

Please note that this is probably the LEAST effective way of doing this. Or, perhaps I should say 'efficient' (definitely for Windows...). Load a hundred entries in there like that and watch your browsing slooooow to a crawl, I'd bet.

Blocking stuff like that at the router level is better (if you can); hardware solutions to things like that are always going to be faster, but there are other software solutions; Mozilla (www.mozilla.org) features a simple right-click menu that features (along with "Save image as...") a choice to "Block images from this server".

HTH,

~YSJ

--------------------
"There are no angels unless they are Angels of Death...And I would never again doubt my place among them or lose my resolve to serve in their wild ranks."         
                                                            -T. Ligotti

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: blocking a certain url from sending you info with win 98 [Re: eric_the_red]
    #1398173 - 03/21/03 12:16 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Windows 98 is old, and I'm not famaliar with it anymore. What you could to is download pop-up blocking programs. I find "Pop-up Stopper" is a good program to block almost all pop-ups. Turn up your sercurity to block those scripts. And block 3rd party cookies. I have IE6, so it might be the same. Go to tools, options, security, advanced, and click prompt for 3rd party cookies. If it sounds like an ad website click "Apply my decision to all cookies from this Website" and block it. I have over 250 sites that are on my permanent block list.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology