Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!
"I have a casing that comes from a mycobag. The mycobag was first fruited as a cake, yielding roughly 3 grams, and cased afterward. The casing fruited twice, yielding about 5 grams the first time and about 8 grams the second time. The casing is now on its third flush, but technically it is the substrate's fourth casing. The pins are in early stages of development, only a few centimeters tall.
A few days ago, I started to smell a musty order whenever I went to fan the casing, so I knew that it was contaminated. The smell was something that I've smelled in my basement many many times (I have a perpetually wet basement). I figured that I'd just let the casing be . . . if it died, so be it, I already had good results, and if it produced these shrooms, well then they'd be the last. Tonight, however, the green stuff reared its ugly head on top of the casing soil. I decided to take a knife (sterilized w/ alcohol, of course) and cut out the green mold itself as well as much of the areas surrounding it. I judged how much material I should remove by the smell; I removed all of the material until the casing no longer had any smell but that of mycelium. I then filled in this area with some vermiculite which was moistened to field capacity with water and a bit of H2O2. I believe that the mix was fairly strong, but not too strong. I am hoping that this will eradicate any remaining mold."
If this mysterious SWIM decides to give me any more information that they want me to forward, then I will update you.
No. Sorry, I should have clarified that. It's just meant as an experiment that will show whether or not this "method" works well against fighting the ugly green. Hopefully it will work, but if not at least I'll be helping someone else out by my failure.
Edit -- I was high earlier, that tiltle was waaaay g3h.
Update -- The green came back yesterday, so I decided to take the same action as before except I cut out much more of the casing. I cut out probably a full quarter of it and filled it in with moistened (and H2O2ed) verm. It seems to be better now, so I'll just have to see how it goes.