Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMicronMagick
old hand

Morels
    #1366583 - 03/11/03 02:34 PM (21 years, 22 days ago)

Every year I hunt for Morels and dehydrate them for storage so I have them all year round. I read not too long ago about how they can be cultivated indoors.

Now I had planned on waiting until this years season to start a culture but I've got a fair amount left and I was thinking for starting now and see if I could get some of the spore to germinate. Or can you clone a rehydrated mushroom?

Not really sure how to go about this as I've never worked from a dried specimen before. Would love some input from those who have. Anno? Workman?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: Morels [Re: MicronMagick]
    #1366823 - 03/11/03 04:24 PM (21 years, 22 days ago)

You might get successful growth by gently knocking a dried fruitbody over a petri dish, I'd imagine a mold risk. If I wanted to get a patch started fast to grow out for next spring I'd just drop the coin:

http://www2.mailordercentral.com/fungi/Prodinfo.ASP?NUMBER=K275&VARIATION=&AITEM=1&MITEM=1

I found quite a few other places, some cheaper; fp is a good business.

InvisibleMicronMagick
old hand

Re: Morels [Re: Suntzu]
    #1366974 - 03/11/03 05:27 PM (21 years, 22 days ago)

Actually I'm working on my own kit so buying one of Stamet's kits isn't an option. I'll more then like clone something this up and coming season. I'm just wanting to play.

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Cultivator
    #1367054 - 03/11/03 05:48 PM (21 years, 22 days ago)

Morels are not easily cultivated indoors and the few successful attempts seem to be flukes and not reliably repeatable. If they grow naturally in your area, then I'd recommend planting them outdoors and crossing your fingers.

You can get viable spores from dried morels. Fortunately the morel mycelium is extremely fast growing and quickly outraces contaminates. I'd suggest, using flamed forceps, gouging out a bit of the surface spore bearing tissue and placing it face down in the middle of a petri dish of malt agar. I'd try several attempts with different mushrooms, preferably mature ones that haven't been exposed to much light during storage. The trick is going to be in recognizing the thin fast growing mycelium as morel mycelium instead of some other contaminate. If you can wait, fresh morels clone easily. Good luck.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

InvisibleMicronMagick
old hand

Re: Morels [Re: Workman]
    #1369418 - 03/12/03 12:46 PM (21 years, 21 days ago)

Thanks Workman,

Like I said it's more about experiment and IF I can get something that is repeatable it would be worth the effort. And IF it fails it's not like the hobby is expensive.

Have you had any personal experince in testing out teks for indoor Morels?

As for a outdoor patch I can find more then what I use per year. I'm even thinking of harvesting everything I can get my paws on the year and dehydrate and sell them on my site.

InvisibleMicronMagick
old hand

#1369458 - 03/12/03 12:58 PM (21 years, 21 days ago)

I was thinking I could drop a whole Morel into some malt or honey water. Once the spores have germinated I could flush out contaminates with some h2o2. What you think about that idea?

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Cultivator
    #1370267 - 03/12/03 04:37 PM (21 years, 21 days ago)

That probably won't work. Supposedly H2O2 only kills spores and bacteria, so the morel mycelium and any fungi imperfecti mycelium (mold) will survive.

I suspect you would generate a fetid mess.

-----------------------
I haven't attempted any indoor fruiting. The published methods require very precise environmental controls. I may try in the near future after I buy some more equipment.

Morels don't grow naturally in my area and my outdoor attempts have so far failed.

Selling dried morels sounds like a good idea. Although you might need a special certification for food products. USDA inspection or something.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Edited by Workman (03/12/03 04:40 PM)

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
    #1389094 - 03/18/03 05:33 PM (21 years, 15 days ago)

what workman said.

you could start sveral plates with small fragments of fertile tissue and make the whole thing slightly more controlled, but you're still looking to have problems.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Morels [Re: canid]
    #1389318 - 03/18/03 07:05 PM (21 years, 15 days ago)

Or he could get a morel patch spawn from fungi.com, expand it a bit, and plant it outdoors.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Re: Morels [Re: Anno]
    #1389346 - 03/18/03 07:18 PM (21 years, 15 days ago)

yeah, or that, but i believe he was wanting to do this to see if i could br workable for him, ir not practical. correct me micron, if i am wrong.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Invisibleno-tone
Enema Bag Jones

Loc: Warm, Moist and Dark
    #1395622 - 03/20/03 01:57 PM (21 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

I'm even thinking of harvesting everything I can get my paws on the year and dehydrate and sell them on my site.

You should always leave some from each colony to maintain genetic diversity and promote sexual fusion.

--------------------
Man thinks. God laughs. - Jewish Proverb

Invisibleshroomophile
ShroomitusFidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #1489655 - 04/24/03 01:42 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I cloned these a few years ago.Every once in awhile the pots will throw up a few fruits.

--------------------
Once the mighty oak,was a nut who held his ground.

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
Re: Morels [Re: shroomophile]
    #1490344 - 04/24/03 04:48 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

why do i suspect there are needles or toothpicks on the other side of those morels holding them upright.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Invisibleshroomophile
ShroomitusFidelis
Male User Gallery

Re: Morels [Re: Psychoslut]
    #1492717 - 04/25/03 10:36 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Probally because you can't grow them.The next time they fruit i will take a short video of all sides to soothe your skeptical mind. :grin: 

--------------------

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
    #1492748 - 04/25/03 10:44 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

don't sweat it bro, that was from the same guy telling people to put h2o2 in their spore syringes  :grin:

h2o2 and toothpicks - lol.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

Offliner05c03
The Slug Scourge
Loc: Indiana, US
    #1493165 - 04/25/03 12:41 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I vote for toothpicks. Lets see the procedure...

--------------------
Listen! Do you smell something?

Invisibleshroomophile
ShroomitusFidelis
Male User Gallery

Re: Morels [Re: r05c03]
    #1496466 - 04/26/03 05:38 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I pick them in the wild every year and i clone them on beer agar.I make my own compost.I take the finished compost and add 25% by weight apple wood sawdust.5% wormcastings.I add enough lime to balance the Ph to 6.0.I make outside beds and they fruit a few times a year,mainly in the spring.I make up a few dozen pots out of my patches in feburary and bring them in my indoor growroom.A few pots a year will send up a few shrooms.It's more luck than anything but i enjoy the few i get to fruit ,because they are so hard to fruit indoors.

--------------------

OfflinePaid
Pict
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
    #1496549 - 04/26/03 06:18 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Good work, interesting :-)

Tell us a bit more about the outdoor beds if you get the time.
Any mulching or other requirements?Do you wont to share the
compost ingredients?
I have a couple of cultures im playing about with, so any recomendations would be cool.

--------------------

Offliner05c03
The Slug Scourge
Loc: Indiana, US
    #1496895 - 04/26/03 09:49 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Wow! sweet! so when you say compost you mean a standard mushroom compost? What do you spawn with?

--------------------
Listen! Do you smell something?

Invisibleshroomophile
ShroomitusFidelis
Male User Gallery

Re: Morels [Re: Paid]
    #1497585 - 04/27/03 09:47 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

This is how i prepare my outdoor beds.I rototill the area and remove about 6 inches of the dirt.Once the compost\sawdust mixture is in place i put landscape fabric over the bed.I put just enough dirt on top to hold the fabric in place.I then mulch it heavily with wheat straw.In Feb. i remove the fabric and put the mulch back over the bed.Usually by Apr.15 the morels come on.This has worked for yellow and white morels.I have never been able to get the black morel to fruit this way.
My homemade compost starts with equal amounts(by dry weight)of wheat straw and chicken poop.I add 5% gypsum.My supplements are the table scraps (minus meat and bones)my family generates.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract