Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleveggieM

Re: [CA] Health Officials Offer Safety Tips to Ecstasy Users [Re: veggie]
    #13968119 - 02/15/11 02:53 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

The puzzling controversy over an Ecstasy fact card
February 15, 2011 - Los Angeles Times
By Julie Holland, MD

Distributing information on MDMA to rave-goers could save lives. Where's the harm in that?

As a physician who has researched and written extensively about MDMA, I took a keen interest in the Ecstasy fact card controversy developing in Los Angeles. The Los Angeles Department of Public Health is taking quite a bit of heat right now for the card it created to be distributed at large-scale rave dance parties in the city. The fact card explains the physical effects of Ecstasy, the risks involved in its use and how to reduce these risks, including by choosing not to take the substance at all.

These cards were developed and approved by a panel of experts, including physicians, public health experts and harm reductionists. But of course no sensible idea goes unpunished when it comes to helping people stay safe and avoid drug-related injuries; local politicians are manufacturing unnecessary drug hysteria and calling for the cards to either be altered or banned entirely. Presumably those people believe that if we simply don't tell people how to be safe if they decide to use Ecstasy, young people will either just not take it or they will somehow intuit how to avoid hurting themselves if they do. The fact card certainly doesn't glamorize or encourage illegal drug use, so it's hard to understand why some oppose it so strongly.

Like any responsible physician, I am highly aware of the dangers and risks of alcohol and drug abuse and addiction. I share concerns about young people using Ecstasy at these raves. I empathize with the desire to protect as many young people as possible from all dangerous substances. But the fact is that Ecstasy is not the "killer drug" politicians would like us to believe.

Most adverse events associated with the consumption of Ecstasy can be avoided or mitigated by taking common-sense steps, many of which are detailed on the fact card. Warnings about the dangers of Ecstasy appear often, including, "Most medical emergencies or deaths are from heart problems or complications from hyperthermia (increased body temperature) and hyponatremia (electrolyte imbalance from drinking too much water too fast)."

Hyponatremia is a real concern. Encouraging people who consume Ecstasy to stay hydrated is vital, but it's equally important to emphasize the risks of drinking too much water too quickly. The Department of Public Health did the right thing by including this risk factor on the card.

It's puzzling why such an innocuous information delivery system has generated controversy. It's one thing to disapprove of young people using alcohol and other drugs; it's another thing entirely to prevent them from accessing information that could literally save their lives. The ultimate responsibility for any child's safety always rests with the parent, but we should be applauding the L.A. County Department of Public Health for taking this important first step to help keep young people safe.

Young people need more of the facts about the risks of drug use, not fewer. A consistent parental and public health response to the realities of drug use by young people is essential to their safety.

Dr. Julie Holland, is a board-certified psychiatrist and MDMA expert. She edited the book, Ecstasy: The Complete Guide: A Comprehensive Look at the Risks and Benefits of MDMA.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Re: [CA] Health Officials Offer Safety Tips to Ecstasy Users [Re: veggie]
    #13968507 - 02/15/11 03:50 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

If I lived in that county where a politician tried to block those harm reduction cards from being distributed, I would be the first one in line to SUE the living shit out of them for creating potentially unnecessary danger for those that partake in this drug.

These cards are nothing but good no matter which side of the drug war you're on.  As the article states, it isn't glorifying or promoting ecstasy use in any way.  They were distributed to help save lives and reduce harm, plain and simple.  Anyone who is against reducing the harm and danger associated with the partaking of drugs needs to be hung out to dry along with their political career.

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Kraken Kratom Shop: Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom