Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

espresso grinds
    #1392468 - 03/19/03 06:28 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

i was wondering if anyone has experimented with used espresso cakes for a casing layer. i overheard at work that people often use it for gardening. i thought about mixing it with some worm castings since both seem to have a relatively similar texture as well as grain size.  i thought that maybe since espresso grinds are great for retaining moisture, that it would go well with the castings for nutrition... comments? any feedback would be great.

Post Script: if anyone finds out that this would be a great idea, you can obtain free espresso cakes from a local starbucks (no limit) it would be best to get the grinds from the newer machines which pull its own shots.  :smile: 

they think they are high-temperature sinus effluvia on a silver platter but they are in actuality sub-zero mucus encrustation on a paper plate ~subgenius

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: espresso grinds [Re: Cheeky_Wood_Nymph_]
    #1392480 - 03/19/03 06:33 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I'm thinking it might be too acidic. Maybe if you adjusted the ph...

To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Re: espresso grinds [Re: Cheeky_Wood_Nymph_]
    #1393864 - 03/20/03 04:30 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I've read several times about people growing Oyster mushrooms on used regular coffee.. I don't think that it is an ideal substrate however. I work part time at a coffee place and I have often pondered how well the grounds would work as a substrate for cubensis. You probably would have to adjust the pH though. I have a feeling that the espresso cakes would probably break back up into a very fine powder as soon as you tried to break them into smaller pieces. That might make them a little harder to use as opposed to regular coffee grounds.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology