Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibledwpineal
Psychedelic Artist
 User Gallery

MicroCHIPS, developer of implantable drug delivery system, starts first clinical trial in humans
    #13904284 - 02/04/11 12:12 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/innoeco/2011/02/microchips_developer_of_implan.html

MicroCHIPS, developer of implantable drug delivery system, starts first clinical trial in humans

A dozen years after it was founded, the MIT spin-out MicroCHIPS has finally started testing its implantable drug delivery system in humans. MicroCHIPS CEO Ajit Gill tells me the company began the study last month in Denmark, implanting its small, subcutaneous device in eight women suffering from osteoporosis.

The MicroCHIPS device, pictured at right, will be delivering a drug called Forteo, made by Eli Lilly & Co. and used to increase bone density in patients suffering from severe osteoporosis. Currently, women who take the drug need to give themselves daily injections. Eventually, MicroCHIPS aims to market a device that could deliver the drug for about a year — no needle pokes required. (Most patients on Forteo, a synthetic version of parathyroid hormone, take it for about two years, Gill says.) The implant can be done in a doctor's office with just local anesthetic, says Gill, who joined MicroCHIPS last spring.

The MicroCHIPS device holds tiny doses of a drug inside reservoirs that can pop open on a pre-programmed schedule, or as a doctor deems necessary, triggering releases with a handheld wireless device. (A small pulse of electricity dissolves a layer of titanium and platinum that seals the top of each reservoir.) This first study in humans will look at how the osteoporosis drug circulates in patients' bodies once it is released.

MicroCHIPS sprang from MIT research done by professors Bob Langer, Michael Cima, and a PhD student of theirs, John Santini, who served as the company's CEO until last year. Early last year, Santini told me that the company had raised more than $70 million to develop its implant, much of it from Polaris Venture Partners in Waltham, Flybridge Capital Partners in Boston, and corporate investors like Medtronic and Novartis.

But Gill tells me the company has shrunk to just four employees, and is using a contractor to oversee the current clinical trial. (He says MicroCHIPS had about twenty employees when he arrived last April.)

Why did it take the company so long to get its device into humans? Gill says that keeping moisture out of the device proved a big headache: "Proteins and peptides are really sensitive to moisture, and hermetically sealing it turned out to be challenging."

MIT professor Langer says that a lot of money was spent exploring whether the device should be used to dispense drugs, or hold an array of sensors that could be exposed to the body over time to detect things like blood sugar level. "Money and time were split between those two ideas," he says. More issues the start-up faced: "Accurately loading and dosing the drug [onto the chip], and formulation and drug stability," Langer says. "It's a totally new kind of technology, and that's both good and bad."

The device that MicroCHIPS is currently testing has just 20 reservoirs that hold individual doses of a drug, but Gill says the product that the company plans to market will have 400 reservoirs. "Our next step will be developing that commercial device and putting it through tests," he says.

Gill says the company has also been exploring using its technology to deliver various multiple sclerosis drugs, and glucagon, a drug used to raise blood sugar levels in diabetics.

And Gill adds that the company will likely need to raise even more money to win FDA approval for its device. Some of that money, he suggests, could come from corporate partners.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemukhail
Creeper

Loc: Antarctica
Re: MicroCHIPS, developer of implantable drug delivery system, starts first clinical trial in humans [Re: dwpineal]
    #13904536 - 02/04/11 01:19 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Can i pack my weed in it?

InvisibleMcTwist
Stoned Stranger
Male

Re: MicroCHIPS, developer of implantable drug delivery system, starts first clinical trial in humans [Re: mukhail] * 1
    #13904648 - 02/04/11 01:44 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

It'd be cooler if there were doses of LSD in them. That way you could carry around your doses without any risk of prosecution. Then, when you wanted to get high, you could simply operate the wireless device and boom! you're tripping.

Offlinetwiztidthoughts
Stranger

Loc: Central Alabama
Re: MicroCHIPS, developer of implantable drug delivery system, starts first clinical trial in humans [Re: mukhail]
    #13904653 - 02/04/11 01:45 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

No, but it would be nice to have a microCHIP with 400 doses of lsd in it.. You'd have a little wireless device or iphone app to click on and it would make you trip lol.

Offlinetwiztidthoughts
Stranger

Loc: Central Alabama
Re: MicroCHIPS, developer of implantable drug delivery system, starts first clinical trial in humans [Re: McTwist]
    #13904656 - 02/04/11 01:46 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

McTwist said:
It'd be cooler if there were doses of LSD in them. That way you could carry around your doses without any risk of prosecution. Then, when you wanted to get high, you could simply operate the wireless device and boom! you're tripping.

I like the way you think... lol

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery

Loc: innsmouth..MA
Re: MicroCHIPS, developer of implantable drug delivery system, starts first clinical trial in humans [Re: twiztidthoughts]
    #13904694 - 02/04/11 01:53 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

for the world is hollow and i have touched the sky...

OfflineDowner45
Stranger

Re: MicroCHIPS, developer of implantable drug delivery system, starts first clinical trial in humans [Re: Annapurna1]
    #13905008 - 02/04/11 02:50 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

"And Gill adds that the company will likely need to raise even more money to win FDA approval for its device."  I like how that sounds like a bribe,lol.

I think this is really cool!  Hopefully they will have something for high blood sugar soon!

OfflineSuperide
PROcrastinator
Male

Loc: MASS
Re: MicroCHIPS, developer of implantable drug delivery system, starts first clinical trial in humans [Re: Downer45]
    #13905256 - 02/04/11 03:35 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Unless I have some sort of awful disease that requires constant attention, there's no way I'm putting any electronics or microchips in my body. Aluminum foil hat aside...it's way too easy to keep track of people already I'm not implanting anything.

OfflineanarchOi
Ellenalien is fat.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ASE Flag
Re: MicroCHIPS, developer of implantable drug delivery system, starts first clinical trial in humans [Re: Superide]
    #13905324 - 02/04/11 03:52 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Superide said:
Unless I have some sort of awful disease that requires constant attention, there's no way I'm putting any electronics or microchips in my body. Aluminum foil hat aside...it's way too easy to keep track of people already I'm not implanting anything.

How would anyone track you with this? :lol: Do you not carry a cellphone?

--------------------

OfflineSuperide
PROcrastinator
Male

Loc: MASS
Re: MicroCHIPS, developer of implantable drug delivery system, starts first clinical trial in humans [Re: anarchOi]
    #13906432 - 02/04/11 07:26 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Of course and I'm sure if someone was interested enough they could find me, but I don't like the idea of implanting any electronics in my body.

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery

Loc: innsmouth..MA
Re: MicroCHIPS, developer of implantable drug delivery system, starts first clinical trial in humans [Re: Superide]
    #13906808 - 02/04/11 08:38 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

the following video shows the inevitable results of implanting microchips in ppls bodies (5:22-6:16) ..

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

OfflineStedanko
Butter Churner
Male

Loc: Syracuse
Re: MicroCHIPS, developer of implantable drug delivery system, starts first clinical trial in humans [Re: McTwist]
    #13907542 - 02/04/11 11:33 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

McTwist said:

sooner or later the wireless provider would sell your number and H & R Block will be texting the thing when you are at work...

Offlinedemonofchaos
 User Gallery

Re: MicroCHIPS, developer of implantable drug delivery system, starts first clinical trial in humans [Re: Stedanko]
    #13908365 - 02/05/11 02:38 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

i think i saw this device on an episode of Bones

Quote:

Stedanko said:
Quote:

McTwist said:

sooner or later the wireless provider would sell your number and H & R Block will be texting the thing when you are at work...

LOL funny

InvisiblePilz
Think of the Children!
Male
Re: MicroCHIPS, developer of implantable drug delivery system, starts first clinical trial in humans [Re: Stedanko]
    #13921899 - 02/07/11 06:15 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Stedanko said:
Quote:

McTwist said:

so true...

InvisibleSykey
Oscar2dope
Male

#13922947 - 02/07/11 08:54 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Stedanko said:
Quote:

McTwist said:

Looks im a little slow on this one,  why is it that h& r block would be the one to get ur info and make it release?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service