Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblehamloafS
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Loc: ation is turned off.
Trusted Cultivator
Rattle Snake Venom.
    #13916002 - 02/06/11 01:46 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Is there any sort of processing of pure rattle snake venom from it's source that is needed, so that you can use the rattle snake venom in the break down of the hardened, exterior cellular wall of the spores for the intents of crossing strains of cubensis, specifically, that you know of?

--------------------

How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Rattle Snake Venom. [Re: hamloaf]
    #13916046 - 02/06/11 01:59 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

It's heat sensitive, so needs to be milked into a sterile container under sterile flow hood conditions.  This is why lab grade venom is so expensive.  It's milked under sterile conditions and then freeze dried.

Thinking of heading down to the rattlesnake hunt in SW OK in the spring?
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleCH HELL
Brain Sturgeon
Male User Gallery

Loc: mars Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rattle Snake Venom. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #13916127 - 02/06/11 02:23 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

If you have fresh spores the venom isn't always nessasary,  if you just want to "cross strains of cubensis".
CH

InvisibleN2DFlood
Fractalist
Male User Gallery

#13916171 - 02/06/11 02:31 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
It's heat sensitive, so needs to be milked into a sterile container under sterile flow hood conditions.  This is why lab grade venom is so expensive.  It's milked under sterile conditions and then freeze dried.

RR

Wow I've lived here on and off forever, never heard of a rattlesnake roundup, a little looking shows there are 5 of them between march and may...

How much per gram? hmm..
Look for my obituary this spring!

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Rattle Snake Venom. [Re: N2DFlood]
    #13918001 - 02/06/11 09:01 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I used to live in Elk City, OK.  I owned a Harley dealership in the late 70s, early 80s.  We used to ride down every spring for the rattlesnake hunts.  There's always lots of beer and farmers market type stuff, plus it's fun to party with rednecks once in a while. :lol:
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleNecco
Thread Killer
 User Gallery

Loc: west of a white house
    #13919057 - 02/07/11 12:16 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
It's milked under sterile conditions and then freeze dried.

Just throwing this out there, but I believe collected venom could be sterilized by passing through a hydrophilic micron filter.

Any time you're paying for other people to risk their lives it will cost a fortune, as will buying something as (un)popular as venom, as will buying something that is only usually purchased by people with plenty of money.

InvisiblehamloafS
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #13919736 - 02/07/11 06:40 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:

RR

Thanks for the information over the requirements of properly gathering laboratory grade rattle snake venom.  Now I'm picturing myself milking live snake venom in front of the flowhood.  How the heck do you think the snake is sterilized for entry into the laboratory?  I'm sure you don't do some shit like rub it down with an alcohol soaked paper towel or flame sterilize the son of a bitch.

Hunting rattle snakes in that part of the state and collecting laboratory grade venom is definitly on the agenda.  Got a few parteners who know and have family down in that section of the state.  Once I told them what laboratory grade rattle snake venom was worth, they suggested we go down and obtain some from private sources of known rattle snake nests.  What's in it for me is that I have a chance to add sterile, freeze dried, rattle snake venom into my arsenal of cultivation tools and additives.  With goals in sight to cross cubes using rattle snake venom to break down the hardened cellular wall of the cell.

However, not at any sort of collective gathering of general Oklahomans.  The rednecks and I have this thing about each other.  Seems like we always try to kill each other on sight.  :lol:

--------------------

InvisibleN2DFlood
Fractalist
Male User Gallery

#13922245 - 02/07/11 05:19 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Most Okies would probably think mycology was the study of "dudes named Mike".  Country okies are generally friendly, just dont look or talk funny..heh, bring 6 point beer and make instant friends.  OK will be the last 3.2 state I'm sure.

I've seen snakes milked by biting the edge of a beaker through a film, i guess it thinks it's skin and they inject.  The snakes mouth would probably not have much contact with the inside of the glass.  At least, so it seems.

I would be seriously considering it were it not for the freeze drying and subzero storage requirements.  It is soooo almost doable.

InvisiblehamloafS
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rattle Snake Venom. [Re: CH HELL]
    #13925935 - 02/08/11 06:07 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

CH HELL said:
If you have fresh spores the venom isn't always nessasary,  if you just want to "cross strains of cubensis".
CH

Thanks for joining my thread, CH.  How?

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #13926521 - 02/08/11 09:48 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Cubensis spores are generally compatible whether they came from the same cap or not.  Venom comes in handy with interspecies crosses, or if you have old spores which won't germinate, such as with Redboy.
RR

Quote:

N2DFlood said:
bring 6 point beer and make instant friends.  OK will be the last 3.2 state I'm sure.

I hadn't thought about that in fifteen years.  We'd get together on Saturday morning, roll a couple joints, and head to Gainsville for a few racks of Texas beer to stock the refrigerator with.  About the only other 'gladly forgotten' memory of OK is meeting someone and the first words out of their mouth is "have you accepted Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and savior"? :rolleyes:
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Invisiblelipa

Trusted Cultivator
    #13926635 - 02/08/11 10:31 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Cubensis spores are generally compatible whether they came from the same cap or not.  Venom comes in handy with interspecies crosses, or if you have old spores which won't germinate, such as with Redboy.
RR

Quote:

N2DFlood said:
bring 6 point beer and make instant friends.  OK will be the last 3.2 state I'm sure.

I hadn't thought about that in fifteen years.  We'd get together on Saturday morning, roll a couple joints, and head to Gainsville for a few racks of Texas beer to stock the refrigerator with.  About the only other 'gladly forgotten' memory of OK is meeting someone and the first words out of their mouth is "have you accepted Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and savior"? :rolleyes:
RR

This brings back memories for me HAHA! We did the same in NE OK except we would have to drive up through all the dry counties in Arkansas to the Missouri border where there is this huge gigantic warehouse of Alcohol and beer.:lol:

I can't stand bible thumpers! My freaking teachers would pull that crap on me in school.

InvisibleCH HELL
Brain Sturgeon
Male User Gallery

Loc: mars Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #13938774 - 02/10/11 10:51 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

hamloaf said:
Quote:

CH HELL said:
CH

Thanks for joining my thread, CH.  How?

Sorry haven't been able to get online,  but it looks like RR has already answered the question.:thumbup:
CH

Quote:

RR

Invisibletr20josh
Boomer
Male User Gallery

#13950321 - 02/12/11 09:56 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

N2DFlood said:
OK will be the last 3.2 state I'm sure.

God damn Oklahoma piss water.... It doesn't even taste good, and your stomach is full before you get a buzz.  I can't wait to get out of this state.

Offlineslartibartfast
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Rattle Snake Venom. [Re: tr20josh]
    #13961371 - 02/14/11 01:45 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Does it make any difference as to the type of venom? the only local rattlesnake is a little guy called the massasauga and i believe that the venom from this snake is more neurotoxic than heamotoxic and i wonder if it would be less useful in breaking down cell walls and other things.
Please tell me they don't still hunt these wonderful creatures anymore at least not on a large scale like rattlesnake roundups. Just don't understand why we can't leave such useful (not that i think something needs to be useful for us to leave it in peace) creatures alone is beyond me.
Slart

--------------------
Pressure cooking shit to kill shit so i can knock it up with my shit to grow shit.
Trades welcome

Invisiblelazy bones
Stranger
 User Gallery

#13967019 - 02/15/11 11:23 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

hamloaf said:
Quote:

RogerRabbit said:

RR

Thanks for the information over the requirements of properly gathering laboratory grade rattle snake venom.  Now I'm picturing myself milking live snake venom in front of the flowhood.  How the heck do you think the snake is sterilized for entry into the laboratory?  I'm sure you don't do some shit like rub it down with an alcohol soaked paper towel or flame sterilize the son of a bitch.

Hunting rattle snakes in that part of the state and collecting laboratory grade venom is definitly on the agenda.  Got a few parteners who know and have family down in that section of the state.  Once I told them what laboratory grade rattle snake venom was worth, they suggested we go down and obtain some from private sources of known rattle snake nests.  What's in it for me is that I have a chance to add sterile, freeze dried, rattle snake venom into my arsenal of cultivation tools and additives.  With goals in sight to cross cubes using rattle snake venom to break down the hardened cellular wall of the cell.

However, not at any sort of collective gathering of general Oklahomans.  The rednecks and I have this thing about each other.  Seems like we always try to kill each other on sight.  :lol:

Keep in mind many of the rattlesnakes collected for these hunts are harvested by dumping gallons of gas down a hole and waiting for something to come out. The snakes are also collected up to a year in advance and not fed/taken care of well during that time. They used to get stuffed with sawdust to bump up their weight. IE- their health is not at its best and I'd bet their mouths/fang shield area is not clean like it is supposed to be. Normally, the outside of the snake is not cleaned, just held up to a rubber coated glass and milked.

I'd recommend hooking up with a good venomous snake keeper willing to help you in this endeavor. Or if you really feel like risking it to milk a snake yourself, take a trip to a state where collecting a few snakes is legal. Collect a few, milk them, then return them to where you found them.

One last thing- if you are serious about milking them yourself, I'd really suggest trying first and getting some experience it on a species that won't kill you if you screw up. Copperheads immediately come to mind. Holding a venomous snake can be a bit more challenging that you would imagine, and their ability to move the fangs to inject something is incredible. If by chance you get struck by a rattlesnake there are some pretty serious complications that can arise, anaphylaxis due to the antivenom is one the biggest.

Sorry to rant, but I just wanted to share my experiences.

InvisiblehamloafS
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rattle Snake Venom. [Re: lazy bones]
    #14018261 - 02/24/11 04:31 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

What's up lazybones.  Don't sweat it on the rant my man.  Thanks for your words of caution and wisdom but a country boy can survive.  In no way shape or form do I plan on dumping gasoline down rattle snake holes to coax out rattle snakes snakes for the intended purpose of milking their venom.  Got a few friends who's families own land down in those sections of the state and know right where to go to find dens of these snakes.  My intentions are to cause the least amount of harm and stress to the creature as possible, given the unique circumstances as into the intended purposes of hunting the creatures. 

As precautionary measures to safety,  All rattle snake handling gear is to be purchased before hand as well as a few books about the subject are to be read.  Was also thinking of dropping the laboratorie's room temperature to 50 degrees causing a cold blooded reptile to become into a state paralysis for the sterile milking of the rattle snale venom.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #14019030 - 02/24/11 09:49 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Keep in mind many of the rattlesnakes collected for these hunts are harvested by dumping gallons of gas down a hole and waiting for something to come out. The snakes are also collected up to a year in advance and not fed/taken care of well during that time.

They sure as hell didn't do that when I was down there.  You have to sign up, get on a school bus, and they drive you to their designated location where you have to hunt in the presence of the judges.  It would be damned hard to carry a can of gas or a bag of snakes onto that bus. :shrug:
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Offlineshroomie_glen
RedHotPussyLiquor
Male User Gallery

Loc: Narf Carolina Flag
    #14038671 - 02/27/11 09:06 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I would have never thought that rattlesnake venom was that damn expensive.

I'm in the wrong goddamned business.

--------------------

No. No, man. Shit, no man.  I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' somethin' like that man.

InvisiblehamloafS
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rattle Snake Venom. [Re: shroomie_glen]
    #14041353 - 02/28/11 11:33 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I'm not sure by what volume, but labrotory grade rattle snake venom is worth more than a kelo of cocaine.  The last price I heard a kelo of cocaine going for was 15,000 dollars, conservatively.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #14043354 - 02/28/11 04:36 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Sigma had it for around $300/gram last time I bought it.  That big can had a little tiny vial in it, which held the gram.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale