Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDannyBoy
ShroomEnthusiast

Loc: South East, U.S.A.
Do I Understand Casing???
    #1389374 - 03/18/03 07:31 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Well a while back my Grandma found her tek which she was going to follow for her mushroom growing... Mycotopia and so tonight she went there again and found a very descriptive casing method and she now thinks she understands casings....she asked me to go over it with you to make sure she's got it down right....I'm typing for her, you know that damn arthritis. :smile:

Here is the GENERAL overveiw of the casing method my Grandma found:

1.  Sterilize tools and work area
2.  Mix vermiculite and distilled water until damp (NOT WET)
3.  Spread it along the bottom of a non-transparant container (i.e. bake pan) and make about 1" layer of it.
4.  Crumble your cakes gently into 1 inch chunkes and make a 1.5" to 2" layer with it...make sure to fill in gaps with smaller chunkes of substrate.
5.  Make another layer of damp (NOT WET) vermiculite over the crumbled cakes about 1/4" to 1/2" layer over it (DON'T PACK IT DOWN!!!)
6.  Cover with seran wrap and place in a WARM and DARK place.
7.  By 3-7 days mycelium should be visible...cover first sights of mycelium with vermiculite.
8.  Place casing in Fruiting Chamber
9.  Keep humidity level high (and fan out at least 3-5 times a day)
10.  Keep temp between 75*F - 88*F
11.  Pick mushrooms and enjoy!!!

Ok.....soooo......how is that?  Does that sound good enough?  Any tips to ADD to THIS method?  This seems so easy if you just be careful.  BUT I have a few questions PLEASE!!!

1.  It says humidity should be around 95%+ for pinning, but afterwords lower it to 85% - 92%.....does it matter if you keep the humidity fairly high or do you HAVE to lower it????

2.  Should my Grandma patch up EVERY patch of mycelium she sees until she is ready to place in Fruiting Chamber (approx 10 days max she will wait).

THANX IN ADVANCE GUYS....gimme good feedback as always :smile:

--------------------
"It has been said that kids say the darndest things, but so would you if you had no education"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Do I Understand Casing??? [Re: DannyBoy]
    #1389386 - 03/18/03 07:38 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

kramer says that plain verm will work,however a balanced ph will yeild better results.oh what's that? kramer says to look in the faq it explains the relevancy of ph real good

:shocked:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

OfflineDannyBoy
ShroomEnthusiast

Re: Do I Understand Casing??? [Re: george castanza]
    #1389396 - 03/18/03 07:44 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I read the Ph FAQ just now.....so how much lime should my Grandma add to the verm/ water mixture....any relative ideas???

--------------------
"It has been said that kids say the darndest things, but so would you if you had no education"

Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #1389426 - 03/18/03 08:02 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

the 50/50+ works for kramer but he said something about getting a ph test kit to get it just right :grin:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

OfflineDannyBoy
ShroomEnthusiast

#1389454 - 03/18/03 08:14 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Oh and ANOTHER important question.....in the tek I described above it never said anything about sterilizing the verm/ water mix......so I don't have to worry about the verm being un sterile???

and...what else can be used for a 50/50 mix with verm.....

--------------------

OfflineDannyBoy
ShroomEnthusiast

#1389464 - 03/18/03 08:18 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Jiffy Mix.....I just read that it's a great 50/50 mix of peat moss & vermiculite with added lime for Ph.....sounds like a perfect mixture for the top layer :smile:

--------------------

Offlinedorian909
yea, thats me

#1389576 - 03/18/03 10:00 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

yea, jiffy mix is a good premade 50/50.

i believe you should sterilize the casing mixtures as well danny, just as you did the substrate.

Offlinepleasesmokemarijuana
Blackface.

Loc: Ontario
Re: Do I Understand Casing??? [Re: dorian909]
    #1389578 - 03/18/03 10:02 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

If you were going to bother saying the "my grandma" stuff why put "DO I UNDERSTAND CASINGS" as the title of the post. :tongue:

Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Do I Understand Casing??? [Re: pleasesmokemarijuana]
    #1389580 - 03/18/03 10:04 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

yes,you understand casing now :laugh:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

Offlinepillsbury420
psychedelicscientist

#1389819 - 03/19/03 01:45 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

A friend of mine is on his first grow.  He has a few cakes and made one, one cake casing... used verm and peat moss.. not too sure how he did because he didn't put much effort in it.. he didn't sterilze or anything but he does have some pins... we'll see how it works out.. goodluck :smile: 

--------------------
The day you were born, you were born free. That is your privilege.

I forgot to remember.

OfflineDannyBoy
ShroomEnthusiast

Re: Do I Understand Casing??? [Re: pillsbury420]
    #1390017 - 03/19/03 03:23 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

yo, pleasesmokemarijuana because I'm helping my grandma with her cultivation so I'm typing for her and it's both of us trying to understand this whole process....and the title I used sounds better than "Does My Grandma Understand Casing".... :wink:

ANYWAY.....hey dorian909 My Grandma and I have questions about sterilization of casing mixtures...you or anyone knowledgable can inform us.

1.  Do I have to sterilize the bottom vermiculite layer?  If yes, how do I sterilize it.
2.  How do I sterilize the Jiffy Mix?
3.  I sterilize my casing mixtures BEFORE putting them to use with the crumbled cakes....right?

--------------------

Offlineshroominbloom
i have arrived

#1390280 - 03/19/03 04:43 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

1. I haven't sterilized my bottom layer, and I've had no problems so far. This isn't to say you should sterilize, however; I think it's up to you. If I was going to sterilize it, I would put foil down on a baking pan, put my verm on top of that, and then bake it for 30-60 mins at 250 degrees.

2. See above.

3. Most DEFINITELY!! It would really be a shame if you put your casing layer(s) on and then sterilized it, because the heat would annihilate the mycelium.

--------------------
ha

OfflineDannyBoy
ShroomEnthusiast

Re: Do I Understand Casing??? [Re: shroominbloom]
    #1390327 - 03/19/03 05:02 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

^^^
Awesome, thanx for answering those 3 questions.

I still have that humidity question bugging me if anyone wants to help me out with that.....the question was:

It says humidity should be around 95%+ for pinning, but afterwords lower it to 82% - 92%.....does it matter if you keep the humidity fairly high or do you HAVE to lower it????

--------------------

Offlineshroominbloom
i have arrived

#1390364 - 03/19/03 05:17 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Here's what SWIM wrote for me:

"I try not to worry about humidity too much once I reach this stage. I live in a relatively dry area, with average humidity being 25-30% in my room. I assume that casings can produce a significant amount of humidity on their own, so they don't need perlite. Working on this assumption, each time that I fan my fruiting chamber, I spray the inside with water (from a spray bottle). When I see pins, I just cut the spraying down a little bit. I spray roughly 2 times out of 3 instead of every time. It seems to work well; I have had some very good flushes so far, and I'm about to have another!"

So there you have it. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but you should make an effort to lower it a little bit. Also, remember that just because this works well for SWIM, it is by no stretch a definitive answer, so take from it what you will but don't think that it is the ultimate in humidification.

--------------------
ha

OfflineDannyBoy
ShroomEnthusiast

Re: Do I Understand Casing??? [Re: shroominbloom]
    #1390455 - 03/19/03 05:49 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

hmmm interesting.....would taking out some perlite work as well maybe like 1/4" or two?

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #1390499 - 03/19/03 06:01 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

you dont understand casings, but at least you understand what mycotopi understands about casings. :grin: :grin: :smirk: :smirk:

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds