Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Gypsum, Ranch Dressing, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinenettwerk
Consultant
Loc: Canada
Gypsum and Drywall Compound
    #1390339 - 03/19/03 07:08 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

A guy on the street knows this has been discussed before, but the search is down...

He wants to know if drywall compound (the pasty grey stuff) can be used for gypsum if it is first dried out (there's an open tub of it nearby where he could just grab some). Further, what brand names/products are out there that would be ready-to-use gypsum in powder form? All he's seen is the compound stuff in hardware stores and he got heckled when he asked for gypsum powder at a nutrition centre.

Is there room in the glossary for putting in information on common sources for substances, such as gypsum powder, so that newbies like him have an easy quick reference when reading through various teks? He sends his thanks in advance.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BurgerTime, Space Invaders
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Gypsum and Drywall Compound [Re: nettwerk]
    #1391440 - 03/19/03 01:05 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

go to the home brew store if ya got one in your area they are sure to have it :laugh:

--------------------

Quote:

pftek said:Impossible to clean everything right now. Maybe in a week.

ROTHBURY

:pm:

OfflineHafrican
Mega-ultrachicken

Loc: SW Azerbaijan
Re: Gypsum and Drywall Compound [Re: george castanza]
    #1391716 - 03/19/03 02:40 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Joint compound already has a real high water content -- you don't want this. It also has a lot of binders and crap to aid in maintaining a constant thickness, etc. Think of acrylic paint versus pure pigment ....
I have read of people using plaster of paris is powder form in lieu of gypsum. Since plaster work and general craftsmanship has been replaced by ranch burgers and sheetrock, try a large hardware or painting store. A good art store/sculpture house should have plaster.

OfflineTrippy Hippy
The great whitehunter
Loc: SouthEast
Re: Gypsum and Drywall Compound [Re: Hafrican]
    #1391740 - 03/19/03 02:47 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

AFOAF recently did some remodeling in his house and the drywall actually says gypsum and the manufacturer on the paper of the drywall, so he just crushed it up and sprinkled some in, but its been a few days and there has been no growth so he will have to get back to you on if it works, he hopes there is nothing in drywall that would act as a fungicide. I recently read a post that it can be found in home depots in the fertilizer section relatively cheap, but i'm not exactly sure what the purpose of gypsum is so you would have to wing it and hope someone has a clue what you're looking for.

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BurgerTime, Space Invaders
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Gypsum and Drywall Compound [Re: Trippy Hippy]
    #1391870 - 03/19/03 03:23 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

use wbs and you don't need it!!!!

--------------------

Quote:

pftek said:Impossible to clean everything right now. Maybe in a week.

ROTHBURY

:pm:

Offlinenettwerk
Consultant
Loc: Canada
Re: Gypsum and Drywall Compound [Re: george castanza]
    #1398085 - 03/21/03 11:32 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

He was looking again through a hardware store and found a product labeled "Plaster of Paris". This is in a powder form that is mixed with water to form plaster and harden. It's pretty inexpensive for a small box.

He's done a half and half with WBS and Popcorn... generally worked well without any gypsum. Now he wants to try whole oats. It really didn't bother him that he needed to use a sterilized spoon to break up the solid peices in the jars from the over-wet substrate (it just took longer to colonize those parts). He might not bother with gypsum yet if those oats don't get too sticky.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Gypsum, Ranch Dressing, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation