Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTeknion
Interloper

Jars Ready To Birth?
    #1390162 - 03/19/03 06:10 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Here's a question some hobo wnated me to ask... I'll copy and paste what he said....

-----------

So I've got 4 jars colonizing with Mycelium... One of them has been fully covered for about 3-4 days now, while the other 3 are catching up...

Now how "thick" should the mycelium be before I birth it into the terranium? I can still sorta see through it a little bit, but I have a feeling that does not matter? I just don't want to leave it open to contamination...

And another question I had was this... Once my first four jars started colonizing, I started a second batch of four (this is my first time so I wanted my first shot to work before I wasted the entire syringe). Now for the second batch I wanted to try casing it. Now because I've noticed jars colonize at different speeds, how do you get it so your cakes are ready to be transferred onto a casing all at the same time?

Also, all the casing teks are pretty easy to understand, but here's one thing I find they never answer: How many cakes are needed for a casing? They give you all the measurements for the casing recipe, but just say "Break the cakes onto the casing"... but they don't say how many... does it matter? is it a personal choice?

--------------------
"A drug person can deal with things like seeing they're dead grandmother crawling up they're leg with a knife in her teeth but no one should be asked to handle this trip"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDannyBoy
ShroomEnthusiast

Loc: South East, U.S.A.
Re: Jars Ready To Birth? [Re: Teknion]
    #1390340 - 03/19/03 07:08 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

As to your birthing question I'm not sure, so I won't give you a "maybe" answer...

however...

The tek for casings that I read said make a layer of broken up cakes about 1.5" to 2" deep so break up as many as you want until you've filled that 1.5"-2" layer with crumbled cake.

I've read about people doing 1 cake casings, 2, 3, 4, etc....it also depends on the size of your casing container I believe. Good luck, I hope I helped.

--------------------
"It has been said that kids say the darndest things, but so would you if you had no education"

InvisibleClosetCase
but only inwinter

Loc: Somewhere rubbing my nugs...
Re: Jars Ready To Birth? [Re: Teknion]
    #1390390 - 03/19/03 07:25 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Do either two or four per casing. It depends on what size containers you can find. If you know math, fuck it i'll do it for you, one cake per every 7" of casing/container surface area should give you a substrate depth of about 2 inches. So four cakes would be good for a 7" by 4" conatiner, or a round container 6" across.

As for them not colonizing at the same time, don't worry. Unless they aren't innoculated evenly, they should all finish within 10 days of each other. As long as they aren't in a really dry place it won't hurt to let them sit for a week while the other ones catch up.

--------------------
"as your attourney I advise you to rent a very fast car with no top, and you'll need the cocaine.."

"well.. why not? I mean if anything's worth doing, it's worth doing right. THIS IS THE AMERICAN DREAM IN ACTION"

OfflineTeknion
Interloper

Re: Jars Ready To Birth? [Re: ClosetCase]
    #1390886 - 03/19/03 10:05 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the info....

As for the jars that are ready now, which will be done a la PF style, do I have to wait until primordia show up before birthing the cake, or is a cake that is completely covered do?

--------------------
"A drug person can deal with things like seeing they're dead grandmother crawling up they're leg with a knife in her teeth but no one should be asked to handle this trip"

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation