Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

PF Tek = waste of time
    #1388522 - 03/18/03 02:00 PM (21 years, 16 days ago)

now i know that this is probably where many of us got started; i know it's where i did... but i really am beginning to think the PF tek is trash. it's really no easier than making up some millet grain in quart jars in a PC... and then... casing isn't hard at all. i guess maybe it's a good fool-proof way for first timers so that they don't get discouraged with failure when starting out... i dunno. the only advantage i see to the PF tek is that you don't need a pressure cooker and you don't have to mess around with casings. i do think however, that while harder to screw up, the PF tek is a hell of a lot more hassle for lesser quantities of weaker mushrooms than from grain\casing. kiddies: if you haven't done it yet, buy a pressure cooker, learn how to do grain jars, and learn how to case. i wish i'd done it earlier.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Re: PF Tek = waste of time [Re: ]
    #1388566 - 03/18/03 02:18 PM (21 years, 16 days ago)

Well.. I may have to disagree.and agree. only for the reason that PF TEK can give a newbie valuable experience in ways to be sterile. like you said.. and I would have to disagree with you saying "weaker mushrooms"..I think potency can vary from flush to flush on any substrate..And I would have to say that useing PF TEK.. for a newbie would be less of a hassle....this is my friends opinion .. of course..I do have to agree with your statements about casing..which can be done with PF-TEK cakes.

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Edited by motaman (03/18/03 02:19 PM)

Offlinethrice
Stranger
    #1388569 - 03/18/03 02:18 PM (21 years, 16 days ago)

Then learn to spawn some compost. I havent' even cased yet and I'm going to spawn next. I understand the concept so I'm going for it.

--------------------
"I've got high friends in places".

Anonymous

Re: PF Tek = waste of time [Re: motaman]
    #1388824 - 03/18/03 03:38 PM (21 years, 16 days ago)

it's pretty well documented that grain and even moreso dung produce more potent mushrooms than BRF.

Invisibledobinky
infoseeker
 User Gallery
Loc: Wiki, Kentucky
    #1388889 - 03/18/03 04:10 PM (21 years, 16 days ago)

Well a kid i know uses PF tek because he dosent have a PC. He said something about saving for one, but its the only tek you can do without a PC..i think.

--------------------
Today?s Pig is Tomorrow?s Bacon

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: PF Tek = waste of time [Re: dobinky]
    #1388914 - 03/18/03 04:21 PM (21 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Well a kid i know uses PF tek because he dosent have a PC. He said something about saving for one, but its the only tek you can do without a PC..i think.

you can use your pf tek colonized jars to spawn straw/dung that you pasturize in the oven so i guess you could do it w/out a pc but grain makes better spawn at least thats what kramer says :shocked:
so pf tek=good time
not a waste of time :smile: 

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

Anonymous

Re: PF Tek = waste of time [Re: george castanza]
    #1388965 - 03/18/03 04:40 PM (21 years, 16 days ago)

Comments from a ferret:

So check it,

I tried to case my first time using the "shit Wizard" tek....
I was pissed as every time it failed. I wasted a few cakes on it.
Then I tried fruiting them bam I admired my first fully mature crop.
Took a few prints, tested the quality. Blew my fucking mind :smile:
Thus far I have proceeded with cakes. Roadkill's tek sounds worth trying though. To make my point I am just stating that fruiting cakes kinda got me through when I thought I had failed. I hope casing is really worth it :wink:

Offlinegeo2001m
Raider Nation
    #1388983 - 03/18/03 04:46 PM (21 years, 16 days ago)

i dont use a pc for anything, i just steam them and have has great sucess, my popcorn was good, and every jar I have done turned out 100% with no contams except for 1. im 23 for 24 in jars so far.

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
    #1388992 - 03/18/03 04:50 PM (21 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

it's pretty well documented that grain and even moreso dung produce more potent mushrooms than BRF

Well I would have to disagree on that...My friend has had same potency or very near on BRFV cakes using the same spores that were used to spawn.. The potency dosen't start with the spawn..It starts with the characteristics of the strain..Sure you may loose potency with several flushes.. but even that in .. very little.And even in that .. you can't say that a great flush ..potency wise..My friend says.. he has ate shrooms from BRFV cakes from the first flush that were as good if not even better potency wise comparab;e to spawned/cased pnes

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #1389013 - 03/18/03 05:01 PM (21 years, 16 days ago)

I have never done the pftek. I started out with bitdseed in quart jars. I found this to be really easy and have been doing it ever since. No reason a resonably intelligent individual can't do it.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflineHexum311
SmartNewb

Loc: NOYFB (new state)
Re: PF Tek = waste of time [Re: z@z.com]
    #1389175 - 03/18/03 06:11 PM (21 years, 16 days ago)

pftek is not ideal. However it is far from worthless! I think perhaps you mean that "cakes" in general are worthless. well, some may think so, as they are hard to get to pin at times, and produce relatively low yields. I might argue however, that in mycology it is often the challenge of something that makes things fun. My aquaintance enjoys growing mushrooms in as many different ways as possible, including cake style, it can indeed be very interesting! In his experience, cakes are not ideal for spawning dung and such, grains are much better. However, if you use something like a bag tek, where you crumble the cakes in a zip lock and add more uncolonized cakes, you can produce a substantial semi bulk substrate in a relatively short amount of time. My aquaintance has used brf and verm, rye berries, and dung colonized bye rye berries. He noticed very little if any potency diference between rye berries and brf. Dung was the best in all aspects. Presently, he has no dung, so he is using a bag tech almost exclusively. contam rate isnt the best, but its more than doable! maybe 1 in 7 bags get contammed. usually the bags contain as many as 12 half pints of brm/verm. make a nice casing! Keep an open mind... its all about experimentation!

--------------------
"The shade is a tool, a device, a saviors seceret try... and look up to the sky..... but my eyes burn"
-Chino Moreno, the Deftones
peace
-Hex

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Trusted Cultivator
    #1389189 - 03/18/03 06:15 PM (21 years, 16 days ago)

I agree on all counts. PF tek may teach a few basic things to the newbie, but it is pretty much worthless in my opinion. I did it about 6 times and was dissapointed each time, with yield and potency. After I tried rye in quarts, I never went back. Those first mushrooms on rye were 5 times as potent as any shrooms I had ever grown using PF tek.. not to mention much more fruits. After I tried straw for the first time I got the biggest mushrooms I had ever seen, and they were potent as hell. Now I'm trying dung and straw and can't wait for the results.

Not to mention that a QUART of rye colonizes in about a WEEK, whereas a HALF PINT of PF substrate takes around a MONTH.

I would advise anyone who is serious about growing to invest in a PC and start with whole grains. The risks may be bigger, but if you practice the same sterile procedure as with PF tek, and make sure to do everything properly, you will be very happy with the results. It's more intimidating than it is hard. Do your homework and all will be ok.

--------------------

OfflineMeneerCactus
Ex Operator FSRE
 User Gallery
Loc: The Low Lands
    #1389207 - 03/18/03 06:23 PM (21 years, 16 days ago)

I can only agree or disagree when I have made cakes like Roadkill or Ralphster. But as I am still learning on cakes and are still no master.

I think it is like casings: a simple flush is easy a pretty big flush needs skills.

I realy hope to master PF style as a pro.

--------------------
"Millions of years of evolution just to .... light up a joint"

OfflineDannyBoy
ShroomEnthusiast

Loc: South East, U.S.A.
Re: PF Tek = waste of time [Re: MeneerCactus]
    #1389218 - 03/18/03 06:28 PM (21 years, 16 days ago)

ok so whats the recepie for a whole grain substrate with 12 half pint jars....or at least where can I find information on using whole grain substrates?

--------------------
"It has been said that kids say the darndest things, but so would you if you had no education"

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Trusted Cultivator
Re: PF Tek = waste of time [Re: DannyBoy]
    #1389229 - 03/18/03 06:31 PM (21 years, 16 days ago)

Whole grain is usually done in quart jars. You can find information on it in the FAQ

--------------------

Edited by Shroomism (03/18/03 06:33 PM)

OfflineDannyBoy
ShroomEnthusiast

Re: PF Tek = waste of time [Re: Shroomism]
    #1389244 - 03/18/03 06:38 PM (21 years, 16 days ago)

thanx for the link....so I'm under the impression now that when my Grandma does her 12 half pint cakes (with BRF, Verm, and water) that she will be disapointed with her end result???? I don't want my grandma to be sad.....poor granny....is there hope with typical regular cakes?

--------------------
"It has been said that kids say the darndest things, but so would you if you had no education"

InvisibleClosetCase
but only inwinter

Loc: Somewhere rubbing my nugs...
Re: PF Tek = waste of time [Re: Shroomism]
    #1389298 - 03/18/03 06:56 PM (21 years, 16 days ago)

I agree. I am disappointed at the potency/yield of the shrooms from the PF cakes. Not to mention I believe it is significantly MORE work doing a few dozens jars than some casings. You have to clean and dunk everyone of the cakes after each flush, and lets not even get into how much time it takes to prepare a few dozen jars of substrate with just a pot and some water.

Nope, never again. Next time it's some grain/seed spawned on poo. For the first timers out there, if you believe you're relatively intelligent and understand the CONCEPT of what a casing layer does then at minimum case your cakes. Not hard at all! The yield should be close to twice as much, on your first attempt, if done correctly ("light" casing layer and patching are KEY!).

The PF tek is still good for doing just a few jars and it doesn't take a lot of costly or hard to get materials/gear. But if you are serious about growing, go for the gold...

--------------------
"as your attourney I advise you to rent a very fast car with no top, and you'll need the cocaine.."

"well.. why not? I mean if anything's worth doing, it's worth doing right. THIS IS THE AMERICAN DREAM IN ACTION"

OfflinePaid
Pict
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
    #1389341 - 03/18/03 07:16 PM (21 years, 16 days ago)

You dont have to have a pressure cooker to use grains imo as microwaves work fine.I agree the pf tec isnt so good for many cakes, as in if you were doing 10 cakes you may as well do a large casing.But cakes are a good way to not lose every thing to contams as its pretty hard to contam many seperate jars were as you can easyerly lose a whole casing to one contam point.
Both have +es and -es but i would still recomend cakes to a newbie just for the fact that if 1 or 2 jars contam all may not be lost.

--------------------

OfflineUnknown
Confused,dizzy,wheream I again?
Loc: MA
    #1389441 - 03/18/03 08:07 PM (21 years, 16 days ago)

The PFtek is not a waste of time.The cakes aren't anyway,just break them up or use a cheese grater and you can spawn them on poo and do bulk.

--------------------
The above is just like,my opinion man

OfflineDannyBoy
ShroomEnthusiast

Re: PF Tek = waste of time [Re: Anonymous]
    #1389447 - 03/18/03 08:11 PM (21 years, 16 days ago)

^^^

Whoa you can use a cheese grater??? Wouldn't that chop up the substrate TOO small???

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate