Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefred222
Stranger
Basic newbie casing question
    #1386427 - 03/18/03 01:04 AM (21 years, 6 days ago)

First off, my apologies for the newbie-ish question.... tried to figure out the answer from the FAQs but it's eluding me a bit.

Basically my question is.... when instead of growing cakes, you do a casing layer... with the crumbled mycelium between layers of say moist vermiculite.... does the moist casing layer provide the humidity the mycelium needs (i.e. you put the casing container in a terrarium but don't need to do the whole wet-perlite-on-floor-to-raise-humidity thing), or does it not? Just curious. I have two cakes still in their jars that have looked fully colonized for over a week, and i'm debating whether to just birth both onto the bottom of a rubbermaid with wet perlite, or whether to case them. I'm a total newbie, really enjoying this new hobby though, any words of wisdom from a more experienced individual would be most appreciated! :-)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePooPs
What's thisfor???

Loc: Stirrin up the pile!
Re: Basic newbie casing question [Re: fred222]
    #1386436 - 03/18/03 01:14 AM (21 years, 6 days ago)

Wet verm on bottom, crumble cake, wet verm on top.. all is does is provide water to the crumbled cake. it's not meant to provide humidity to the chamber.

now.....

If you can find straw and poop. or either of... mix it up with this and you multiply the amount of usable nutrients... much much better!!!!!!!

--------------------

-----------
Sniff, Sniff... What's that smell???... ohhhhh.!!
------------------

Pot Free for another : nevermind.. never made it..

Edited by PooPs (03/18/03 01:15 AM)

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #1386439 - 03/18/03 01:20 AM (21 years, 6 days ago)

>does the moist casing layer provide the humidity the mycelium needs (i.e. you put
>the casing container in a terrarium but don't need to do the whole wet-perlite-on-
>floor-to-raise-humidity thing), or does it not?

It does to some extent.
Usually it?s enough if you have the casings in a terrarium and, if you choose the manual fanning, the moisture that escapes the casings is enough to create humid enough conditions for the casings.

Offlinefred222
Stranger
Re: Basic newbie casing question [Re: Anno]
    #1387369 - 03/18/03 07:46 AM (21 years, 6 days ago)

Out of curiosity, and as part of my should-i-case or should-i-just-birth deciding thing... could someone give me estimates of approximate dry mushroom yield from either:

A)  Two 1/2 pint cakes in a small perlite-humidified terrarium,

and

B)  Two 1/2 pint cakes crumbled and cased, then put into a terrarium (with as much wet perlite around the edges of the thingie used to do the casing as possible for more humidity)?

Just want to know so i can do a little quick mental risk vs. reward calculation before i go ahead with either :smile:

OfflinePooPs
What's thisfor???

Loc: Stirrin up the pile!
    #1387396 - 03/18/03 07:53 AM (21 years, 6 days ago)

Can't answer as i have done very few cakes, and never cased one as is..

but mix with a few handfuls of straw and 2 quarts of poop and get easy 1 oz dry

--------------------

-----------
Sniff, Sniff... What's that smell???... ohhhhh.!!
------------------

Pot Free for another : nevermind.. never made it..

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #1387401 - 03/18/03 07:54 AM (21 years, 6 days ago)

that kramer says, would depend on strain,substrate ,and growing conditions

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

OfflineBigJohnson
Whoa! You guysneed to lightenup!

Loc: The Yard
    #1387424 - 03/18/03 08:00 AM (21 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

Out of curiosity, and as part of my should-i-case or should-i-just-birth deciding thing... could someone give me estimates of approximate dry mushroom yield from either:

A)  Two 1/2 pint cakes in a small perlite-humidified terrarium,

and

B)  Two 1/2 pint cakes crumbled and cased, then put into a terrarium (with as much wet perlite around the edges of the thingie used to do the casing as possible for more humidity)?

Just want to know so i can do a little quick mental risk vs. reward calculation before i go ahead with either :smile: 

Casing will give you a larger initial harvest, but over time the two methods are almost equal.

Some nutrients will be lost over time due to the mycelium sustaining itself, so casing may actually yield more in the end.

--------------------
Should the US relegalize drugs?

http://www.lp.org/issues/relegalize.html

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #1387428 - 03/18/03 08:02 AM (21 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

A) Two 1/2 pint cakes in a small perlite-humidified terrarium,

and

B) Two 1/2 pint cakes crumbled and cased, then put into a terrarium (with as much wet perlite around the edges of the thingie used to do the casing as possible for more humidity)? 

The potential yield for either method is identical. Same amount of same substrate = same amount of potential fruits. That being said, my friend has found crumbling and casing to be the much easier method of getting the maximum yield.  :laugh: 

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlinefred222
Stranger
Re: Basic newbie casing question [Re: dog]
    #1387766 - 03/18/03 09:33 AM (21 years, 6 days ago)

Thanks very much for all of your kind help!  Cheers :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains