Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Air Pump, Paul Stamets, Perlite, pH Test Strips, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinesancho
mexican
 User Gallery

Loc: 20 floors below sea level...
few casing questions......
    #1387761 - 03/18/03 11:31 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

1) When should i expect to see pins on my casing? my dog placed it in his terrarium on monday (3/17/03).

2) there has been a few aggressive patches of mycelium on the casing. should he cover the spots up by patching the casing or leave them alone. there are about 2 areas with dime-quarter sized patches of mycelium breaking throught the casing layer.

3) when pins begin to show, he plans to drop the humidity down from 100% to 70-80%. right now, (trying to keep the humidity at 100%) he has a layer of perlite on the bottom of the rubbermaid container, and mists once a day. to drop it down to 70-80%, he plans to take the perlite layer off the bottom and mist once a day. would taking the perlite layer away and just misting once a day drop the humidity down to optimal parameters?

thank you. :confused: :confused: :confused: 

--------------------
Drugs may be the road to nowhere, but at least they're the scenic route.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BurgerTime, Space Invaders
Trusted Cultivator
Re: few casing questions...... [Re: sancho]
    #1387874 - 03/18/03 12:07 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

kramer says to stop misting and just fan it 2-4 times a day.only mist when casing dries out

--------------------

Quote:

pftek said:Impossible to clean everything right now. Maybe in a week.

ROTHBURY

:pm:

Offlinethrice
Stranger

Re: few casing questions...... [Re: george castanza]
    #1388544 - 03/18/03 04:11 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I want to know this also. How does one lower the humidity for fruiting when using perlite? I was thinking of a tiny hole above the perlite and at the top of the container, in order to help gas exchange and lower humidity. Someone help please.

Also, I just want to double check something. When inducing pinning what %rh do you want? And what %rh for fruiting? Thanks.

--------------------
"I've got high friends in places".

Edited by thrice (03/18/03 04:14 PM)

OfflineBigJohnson
Whoa! You guysneed to lightenup!

Loc: The Yard
Re: few casing questions...... [Re: thrice]
    #1388565 - 03/18/03 04:17 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I want to know this also. How does one lower the humidity for fruiting when using perlite? I was thinking of a tiny hole above the perlite and at the top of the container, in order to help gas exchange and lower humidity. Someone help please.

Also, I just want to double check something. When inducing pinning what %rh do you want? And what %rh for fruiting? Thanks.

My friend hasn't even had to pay attention to rh when casing. He just puts them in a relatively air tight container and mists/fans.

--------------------
Should the US relegalize drugs?

http://www.lp.org/issues/relegalize.html

OfflineHafrican
Mega-ultrachicken

Loc: SW Azerbaijan
    #1388590 - 03/18/03 04:26 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

1. Anywhere from 7-14 days. If your temperature isn't at the fruiting optimum (74-78F), expect it to be at the end of that range. Some people have reported very aggressive pinners -- i.e. like 3-5 days -- depends on the strain and genetics.

2. If you patch case, then you should return the casing to incubation temperatures (84-88) until the mycelium breaks through again. Patching will make for a more even pinset and greater yields over time. This is one view. The other view says patching will give you a bunch of small fruits and take longer, while not patching will allow for less, bigger fruits quicker. If you have more than one casing, my friend suggests trying each and seeing which one works best for *your* environment.

3. Removing the perlite layer sounds like a mess, as well as a potential contamination risk! Just think of all that misted water sitting down there. I don't care if it is mineral/bottled water -- it is still stagnant. Depending on your schedule, you can drop humidity by either fanning more frequently, or hooking up an air pump on a timer (both of these introduce fresh air which lowers humidity). My friend says you will need a pet with oposable thumbs to fan your chamber like every hour to drop the humidity down to the 80-85% mark in a perlite setup.

BTW, if you keep 95-100% humidity during cropping, you will have fuzzy stems (fuzzy with mycelium). Assuming you have sufficient air exchange, your fruits shouldn't be stunted or deformed .... Or, if you have another chamber, just keep them in there with no perlite and mist to get the rh up to 80 or so ....

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
    #1388602 - 03/18/03 04:29 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

if you already have casing in fruiting chamber .. then dont patch..Depending on what kind of setup you have.. casings can usually provide enough humidity on their own... I think 100% humidity is too high..in either situation..

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Offlinethrice
Stranger

Re: few casing questions...... [Re: motaman]
    #1388629 - 03/18/03 04:39 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

So what %rh do I want for pinning? then once all the pins have formed start fruiting stage? Can someone post a link to the growth parameters? Thanks.

--------------------

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
    #1388680 - 03/18/03 04:52 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23457

Psilocybe cubensis Growth Parameters
taken from

Paul Stamets and J. S. Chilton: The Mushroom Cultivator
If you want more information (and there is plenty!), go buy the book

Mycelial Types: Rhizomorphic to linear; whitish in overall color but often bruising bluish where injured.
Standard Spawn Medium: Rye grain. See Chapter III.
Fruiting Substrate: Rye grain; wheat straw; leached horse or cow manure and/or horse manure/straw compost balanced to a 71-74% moisture content.
Method of Preparation: See Chapters III, V, and VI. Pasteurization achieved through exposure to live steam for 2 hours at 140?F. throughout the substrate. Straw or compost should be filled to a depth of 6-12 inches. Straw should be spawned at a rate of 2 cups/sq. ft.

Spawn Run:
Relative Humidity: 90%.
Substrate Temperature: 84-86 ?F. Thermal death limits have been established at 106?F.
Duration: 10-14 days.
CO2: 5000-10,000 ppm.
Fresh Air Exchanges: 0 per hour.
Type of Casing: After fully run, cover with the standard casing whose preparations described in Chapter VIII. Layer to a depth of 1-2 inches. The casing should be balanced to an initial pH of 6. 8-7. 2.

Post Casing/Prepinning:
Relative Humidify: 90 %. Substrate Temperature: 84-86?F.
Duration of Case Run: 5-10 days.
CO2: 5000-10,000 ppm.
Fresh Air Exchanges: 0 per hour.
Light: Incubation in total darkness.

Primordia Formation:
Relative Humidify: 95-100%.
Air Temperature: 74-78 ?F.
Duration: 6-10 days.
CO2: less than 5000 ppm.
Fresh Air Exchanges: 1 -3 per hour. (For practical purposes, fanning a terrarium 2-3 times a day is sufficient)
Light: Diffuse natural or exposure for 12-16 hours/day of grow-lux type fluorescent light high in blue spectra at the 480 nanometer wavelength. (See Chapters IV and IX).

Cropping:
Relative Humidify: 85-92%. (For cakes: 95-100% )
Air Temperature: 74-78 ?F.
CO2 : less than 5000 ppm.
Fresh Air Exchanges: 1 -3 per hour. (For practical purposes, fanning a terrarium 2-3 times a day is sufficient)
Flushing Pattern: Every 5-8 days.
Harvest Stage: When the cap becomes convex and soon after the partial veil ruptures.
Light: Indirect natural or same as above.

Yield Potential: Average yields are 2-4 Ibs. /sq. ft. over a 5 week cropping period. Maximum yield potential has not been established.

Moisture Content of Mushrooms: 92% water; 8% dry matter.

Nutritional Content: Not yet established.

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Offlinezoomery
psilocybinist

Loc: saskatchewan
    #1388689 - 03/18/03 04:53 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I think post pinning is like 82-92. Dont quote me on that though.

Personally my friend keeps his chamber at 92% at all time because he only have the one, and hes adding casings at al times, at different points. It takes a smidge longer to get pins on newer casings, but its good when you need to stimulate both humidity conditions.

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23457

Offlinethrice
Stranger

Re: few casing questions...... [Re: zoomery]
    #1388784 - 03/18/03 05:24 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Sweet. Thanks a lot guys.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Air Pump, Paul Stamets, Perlite, pH Test Strips, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation