Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineathena
long term viability?
    #1387350 - 03/18/03 07:41 AM (21 years, 16 days ago)

Hi,
  I have a question I would like 'expert' opinion on.
My friend's second cousin had bought a spore syringe in May of 2001.
thinking he would get to it soon he wrapped it and the shipping box in several layers of plastic bags, and put it in the bottom drawer of the fridge.  where it still sits today.  Now, if he were to innoculate, oh, say 2 jars of sterile oatmeal agar, and one of brown rice, using all of the 12 cc syringe ( with visible spores), how much chance is there that there are enough viable spores still left in the syringe that there might be growth?  I mean I know the FAQ section says possibly up to 2.5 years, but is this one chance in a million?  Or 50/50?  HOW likely is it that enough, or any of the spores are still viable enough to do anything?  Is it even worth messing with?  I would appreciate any and all educated guesses of anyone experienced.  I thank you for your help.  Athena. :confused: 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: long term viability? [Re: athena]
    #1387384 - 03/18/03 07:50 AM (21 years, 16 days ago)

I'd use it to inoculate a honey/malt water solution, then (if it grows) use that to innoculate some jars.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #1387470 - 03/18/03 08:19 AM (21 years, 16 days ago)

>but is this one chance in a million? Or 50/50

IME more 50/50.

Offlineathena
Re: long term viability? [Re: Anno]
    #1387575 - 03/18/03 08:42 AM (21 years, 16 days ago)

Hi,
Honey, and malt water? Please explain tek ( how much of each, etc.) as the search function seems to be down. I thank you for your help.
Athena.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

#1388017 - 03/18/03 10:50 AM (21 years, 16 days ago)

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Offlineathena
Re: long term viability? [Re: Evolving]
    #1390729 - 03/19/03 07:20 AM (21 years, 15 days ago)

Hello,
thank you for those links. So they are honey OR malt extract medias.
May I ask another question? Is one better than the other?
I mean she has honey from her own bees at her home so that would be easier, but I seem to remember somewhere someone posting something about honey being the wrong ph, or some such thing.
Also does anyone have any opinion regarding a liquid media made with potato water and corn syrup ( ala Bob Harris' 1976 book)? Would it be better, or worse in anyone's opinion, and why. Thank you all so much for the information, my friend's second cousin will be delighted.
Athena.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

#1391234 - 03/19/03 09:56 AM (21 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

Is one better than the other?
...Also does anyone have any opinion regarding a liquid media made with potato water and corn syrup

I don't know, I'm a home brewer and have stuck with malt extract with very good results. The malt extract is made from grains that have been sprouted, during this process enzymes are released which break down complex carbohydrates and proteins into simpler substances which are easier for various fungi to digest. I think that the malt would have a more balanced nutritional profile (but I haven't done the research to confirm this).

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag