Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
A Whole New Way of Thinking
    #1387210 - 03/18/03 08:54 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I think I posted something about this at one point, but didn't get too much of a discussion. So I am going to bring this up again and try to give a better description of this state of mind I live in. I am hoping to receive some interesting responses.

I think in a certain way that has been called various things such as the sixth circuit in Timothy Leary's Eightfold Model of Consiousness and Consiousness of Abstracting. I notice a lot of synchronicities, mostly very small things, like for example. I am listening to a song and I am looking at the window and it says window. Only it happens a lot, I basically think about thinking. I notice it a lot when I am with other people and it can be frustrating. It is like I am watching myself communicating with other people and noticing how I am in a completely different reality as them. They are talking about something that seems meaningless to me and when I enter the conversation, they have no clue what I am talking about. This happened to me all through highschool, but I am finally learning to not let it bother me. A lot of it has to do with symbolism and the simplicity or complexity of situations. If anyone would like more information regarding this subject or links just let me know.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: A Whole New Way of Thinking [Re: Earth_Droid]
    #1387583 - 03/18/03 10:44 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I hear ya brother :smile: although I don't really have anything to add quite yet

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
    #1387751 - 03/18/03 11:27 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I should add something that Alan Watts said in one of his lectures. It was something like after meditating for a while you can come to the realization that you may just be a mere puppet in a giant play that is beyond your control. But since you perceive everything that goes around you, perhaps you are controlling it, kind of like a god. This can make a lot of people scared as a god would have an awful lot of responsabilities on his back.

Right now in my life, I am suffering what seems like a major spiritual crisis. Wester medicine (anti depressents e.t.c.) have not been of help, I am struggling with extremely negative almost psychotic like thoughts. However, what makes different than real schizophrenics is I am aware they are only my thoughts, and they aren't really happening. None the less, I still can't overcome them. I hope one day I will transcend them after meditating on a regular bases. Robert Anton Wilson has called it cognative dissonance, where the models created in the mind contradict the view of reality. What makes me different than real scizophrenics is I know the thoughts are just thoughts and not real. I know they are just my own thought constructs.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #1387880 - 03/18/03 12:09 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Droid, don't get too down on yourself.. You've obviously got some intelligence behind ya - just do the best with what you got - good luck man :smile: :smile: This layering of idiologies/whatevers just may become more fun than trouble once you gain some footing here in actuality.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.

Offlinecherokee
Bruce Springsteen
Male User Gallery

Loc: International
    #1388094 - 03/18/03 01:14 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

What your're saying all has to do with perception. The world is how our minds percieve it. With psychadelics we can reprogram our brain(as leary said) and see everything in a new way. I have the same problems in high school as you did. People will be discussing something and I'll bring one thing up and everybody sees no connection to what I just said and the conversation. Though in my mind, what I just said made perfect sense. Almost like our brains all operate on different levels, and when the same levels are met by different people a connection can be made.

Edited by Smoker For Peace (03/19/03 04:16 PM)

Offlinemikey_
SURFING ON SINEWAVES
Male

Loc: Liverpool
Re: A Whole New Way of Thinking [Re: cherokee]
    #1388137 - 03/18/03 01:34 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Hi Earth Droid.
i've never made the 'realisation' before about the way i think, but you're first post pretty much described my thought patterns. i too, notice a lot of synchronicities, and i also experience deja vu alot.
people always say how i examine objects, i dont notice myself doing it but when someone points it out, i see what i'm doing.
for instance, if someone has a new pen or whatever i'll pick it up, flick it through my fingers and look at it carefuly, i'm not fully aware of doing this, i almost become fully absorbed into examining this object.
i dont know whether this has any relation but it seems to me that it would follow suit.

People will be discussing something and I'll bring one thing up and everybody sees no connection to what I just said and the conversation. Though in my mind, what I just said made perfect sense.
i tend to do this alot when stoned, i analyze peoples conversation in my head and almost forget the world around me and focus solely on my thoughts, i do become quiet and withdrawn when smoking marijuana.

--------------------
The poison is the dose - Paracelsus
Let your food be medicine and your medicine be food - Hippocrates

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
Re: A Whole New Way of Thinking [Re: mikey_]
    #1388148 - 03/18/03 01:39 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Yes, I have read a lot about this, and it can be called metaprogramming. Timothy Leary describes it has intelligence studying intelligence. It is you seeing your own experiences in your brain and things like that. He explains how psychedelics also put people in this state, of course too a much higher degree than I am. The advanced yogis can also imprint this circuit.

Offlinecherokee
Bruce Springsteen
Male User Gallery

Loc: International
    #1388240 - 03/18/03 02:21 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Here is Leary's Eight Circuit Model of Conscious for those interested

http://www.erowid.org/culture/characters/leary/leary_8-circuit.shtml

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #1388421 - 03/18/03 03:28 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

re: connections

I think about associations and connections all the time, especially when talking with people about stupid bullshit :wink: Its like a lot of the time I feel like talking about something REAL, something DEEP, something PROFOUND, but if I'm hanging out with people who just wanna talk about sports or food or something, then I find myself making pretty complex associations and connections to attempt to get the conversation to a more cerebral train of thought.

Sometimes people won't see the connection or association I was attempting to make, so it seems like I just said something completely out of the blue :wink:

Another type of thing having to do with different "levels" of communication has to do with expanding somebody else's statements, something I find my ego doing quite often. lets see how would I explain this...... hmm.. damn its hard to come up with an example right now but its this type of fractal thinking where somebody will say something, and I'll see how that something they just said referring to specific objects or people actually applies to WAY MORE than just the objects or people they were attaching a premise/statement/observation to. These kinds of statements usually result with me saying something like "well yeah its like that with EVERYthing."

Hope you guys can follow what I meant there, its hard to explain.. I'm starting to realize how often I've done things like that in conversations and have noticed that "psychedelic people," or the occasional rare sober-thinker will be able to continue the conversation from an "everything" perspective (much more interesting, talking about 'everything'), but most people will drag me back down to the weird specifics that they feel makes their statement different from the 'everything' generalization.. lol well I'm just thinking "out loud" by now so I'll click this "Continue" button down here.. >cuh-LICK<

--------------------

Edited by Strumpling (03/18/03 03:28 PM)

InvisibleTeragon
Noddy

Loc: Lost in the Patterns
    #1391757 - 03/19/03 02:52 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Reminds me of a topic(Depersonalization and "losing reality" for a lack of better words) that was touched on under this thread- Marijuana Hangover

I know what you mean, well atleast as far as this goes:
Quote:

It is like I am watching myself communicating with other people and noticing how I am in a completely different reality as them. They are talking about something that seems meaningless to me and when I enter the conversation, they have no clue what I am talking about. 

This and the synchronicities are the same for me. The amount of synchronicites I experience in one day is uncanny. I try to brush 'em off as "Well if it didn't happen, it wouldn't have been a synchronicity and you wouldn't have been the wiser of it...you're only noticing it because it is a synchronicity" But that doesn't really work and I'm left wondering why all these odd things keep coinciding...Who Knows...man that's a good song.  :grin: 

Quote:

It was something like after meditating for a while you can come to the realization that you may just be a mere puppet in a giant play that is beyond your control. But since you perceive everything that goes around you, perhaps you are controlling it, kind of like a god.

This describes the way I've been living my life recently. I realize my physical body is meaningless in all of this (puppet). Yet I feel like I am in control of this world before me...or something like that. It's so very odd...I get this feeling like I have no body...like I am something beyond my body..something more significant and powerful...and my thoughts turn real. I know it sounds like I'm a loon, but this is seemingly very real for me. It's all so very much like dreaming...no physicality, no limitations. The main difference is that before I used to perceive my world through my head and eyes. Like it was all there...Now my conciousness seems to stem from nowhere in my body. As if from elsewhere....well it feels like it's more from everywhere. "Me" is just as much in my foot as in my head. Like I was saying- the body has no significance in it all.

These feelings present themselves in thoughts that spur in my mind at any time- walking, resting, working. It feels like I'm not there and I ask myself..."Am I really here? What is this body here and why couldn't it be everywhere else?" I really don't know how to describe it, and don't know how much sense that all made. Sorry for the long schpeel(sp? word?), but I just want to know who else feels like this. :grin:

PS- Interesting to note that these immediate thoughts are fairly new, (although they are based on older experiences) presenting themselves in the last 3 months...and so is my mediation practice.  :wink:   

--------------------
need that cash to feed them jones.

Offlinejohnnyfive
Burning withCircles!
Loc: Hell
    #1392400 - 03/19/03 06:08 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

"What your're saying all has to do with perception. The world is how our minds percieve it. With psychadelics we can reprogram our brain(as leary said) and see everything in a new way. "

I agree

I like to think of it more as setting the mind back to "defualt". Something espeically needed in our small minded age.

--------------------
And the gameshow host rings the buzzer (brrnnntt) oh and now you get a face full of face!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology