Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

objective and subjective states of mind
    #1386828 - 03/18/03 06:37 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

just trying to classify some states of mind that i've been riding around in, let me know what you think.

objectivity:
seeing yourself from someone elses eyes. being in the mind of an influence. being alienated from yourself. psychologically placing yourself on heirarchy type ladders for anything from social status to amount of personal experience, to how much fun you can have on a weekend. desperation to achieve some sort of goal. that feeling that things are not right, that you have to be better, you have to change yourself.

subjectivity:
feeling like you are the center of all matter around you. you are the center of your world. nothing except what is here and now matters. you are not bogged down by the past, and not worrying about a future that hasn't happened yet. you look for things in the present. you get in touch with vibes. you listen to yourself. meditation. you are the same YOU that you have been all your life. you can feel your childhood.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineEvilGir
Im the on coming storm

Loc: Planet Irk
Re: objective and subjective states of mind [Re: Grav]
    #1386876 - 03/18/03 06:49 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I think objectivity means viewing an event ect without placeing your own influences on it and subjectivly would mean the oppisite.

--------------------
Fighting the man the best way I can.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: objective and subjective states of mind [Re: Grav]
    #1387186 - 03/18/03 08:47 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

There is no such thing as an objective state of "mind," because mind automatically means there will be subjectivity

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineSafeHaven

Re: objective and subjective states of mind [Re: Strumpling]
    #1387830 - 03/18/03 11:52 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Thinks it depends on the subject, as I can look at something objectively and see it for what it is , someone else would not, yet we both have minds "seeing" objectively. Kinda like perception and perspective, one can compliment the other but both are not the same thing.

"When asked if the Glass is half full or half empty? Reply that it is neither, It needs refilled"

--------------------
As I sit here I ponder greater things.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: objective and subjective states of mind [Re: SafeHaven]
    #1387910 - 03/18/03 12:16 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

what I'm saying is that anything you percieve, no matter how hard you try to look at it objectively, is being percieved subjectively. There is no way around it as of yet.

Since all of us write our own operating systems in our brains for thought-processes and danger-detection, our subjective views of objectivity are skewed.

I think something could only be called objective (and even then its still a major stretch) if "everybody" agrees on all aspects of the subject, which is still just a "collective subjective" interpretation of the objective subject.

I think that in order to percieve something as "objectively" as possible, one must simply percieve and not process the perception. Then there is a semi-objective interpretation waiting in your mind, but as soon as you start to process that interpretation, more subjective baggage is tossed onto it.

edit: fixed a couple spelling errors..

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Edited by Strumpling (03/18/03 03:08 PM)

Offlinecherokee
tennis shoes
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nationwide
Re: objective and subjective states of mind [Re: Strumpling]
    #1388109 - 03/18/03 01:21 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I definately agree. I think the only thing that can see things in an objective state is a new born child. Before their brains are programmed they're fresh and unmarked. They see things as they are and act accordingly. This most likely only happens for a very short while. As soon as the child is brough home from the hospitol the parents start to rub their personalities off on the child. From there to adulthood the brain is programmed and set to how it will think for the rest of its life. I wrote this post in a factual manner, when in fact it's all specualtion. Don't take it to seriousely;)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology