Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Sounds about right.
    #1383662 - 03/17/03 09:19 AM (21 years, 17 days ago)

Canada's Hateful Envy of America Grows
NewsMax.com Wires
Monday, March 17, 2003
There is a rising wave of anti-Americanism in Canada.
It is partly about anti-war sentiment and partly about the perception of George W. Bush as a cowboy, says Lian MacDonald, former head of public affairs at the Canadian Embassy in Washington.

"But it's largely about America's wealth and power. And in that sense, anti-Americanism is as pernicious as anti-Semitism, rooted in envy rather than grievance," MacDonald writes in MacLean's, Canada's weekly news magazine.

The developing new anti-Americanism in Canada is similar to that which has developed in Europe, but there are some special factors. Canada has been "miffed" about the North American Free Trade Agreement, which it says resulted in the bitter dispute over Canadian soft-wood exports and other products. Recently the Canadians have been grumbling because after they had given a huge fleet of U.S. air carriers landing permission on Sept. 11, 2001, Canada was ignored completely when "thank yous" were passed out in an address to Congress.

MacDonald is sharply critical of the Canadian anti-Americanism. He notes: "Even as we live under the protection of the American shield and live off the profits of our trade with them, we resent Americans. We see ourselves as the 'kinder, gentler' place ... a nation of peacekeepers - but we don't even do as much of that anymore. The impoverished nation of Bangladesh leads the world in peacekeeping while Canada's contribution has slipped to 34th place."

This wave of Canadian anti-Americanism began in a small way when Bush ignored the protocol that presidents go to Canada on their first official trip abroad. Bush went to Mexico and then had Mexican President Vicente Fox at a formal reception and dinner at the White House before meeting Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien.

President John Kennedy considered Prime Minister John Diefenbaker an oaf, and President Lyndon Johnson once grabbed Prime Minister Lester Pearson by his coat lapels and shook him violently because Canada refused to follow U.S. policy on Vietnam.

But those were personal differences.

This time the anti-Americanism seems broader and more dangerous.

Copyright 2003 by United Press International.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Sounds about right. [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1383678 - 03/17/03 09:23 AM (21 years, 17 days ago)

There is no anti-americanism in Europe. There's anti-Bushism. It isn't the same thing. Being anti-fundamentalist christian right wing lunatics is really quite healthy.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Sounds about right. [Re: Xlea321]
    #1383692 - 03/17/03 09:27 AM (21 years, 17 days ago)

Right. Sure.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #1383716 - 03/17/03 09:34 AM (21 years, 17 days ago)

Shit, it's not like I'm happy with the way things are in America, but when other countries start criticizing America, I tend to get a little pissed off.

Those Canadiens just need to thank the Lord that no one cares enough about them to attack them.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1383730 - 03/17/03 09:39 AM (21 years, 17 days ago)

How do you "hate" a country exactly? Do you think canadians go to Yellowstone park and go "I hate that mountain..and look at that lake..i hate it"?

No - people just take a dislike to fundamentalist christian right-wing lunatics.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1383739 - 03/17/03 09:40 AM (21 years, 17 days ago)

I have no doubt you think so Alpo. Fortunately not everyone is as small minded as you.

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1383755 - 03/17/03 09:44 AM (21 years, 17 days ago)

Yep. Fortunately not everyone is a fundamentalist christian right-wing lunatic.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #1383763 - 03/17/03 09:47 AM (21 years, 17 days ago)

This kind of hate can only grow. I think we should bomb them before they bomb us. I don't want another 9-11.

Do you?

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1383765 - 03/17/03 09:48 AM (21 years, 17 days ago)

True.

And fortunately not everyone is a left wing, closed minded bozo who seems to like foot long steel spikes.

--------------------

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
    #1384165 - 03/17/03 11:34 AM (21 years, 17 days ago)

> This time the anti-Americanism seems broader and more dangerous.

Canadians have the best jokes, but Americans rarely get them.

How many Americans does it take to kill Saddam Hussein? 
250,000 minus George Bush and Donald Rumsfield = 249,998

:tongue: 

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Sounds about right. [Re: pattern]
    #1384208 - 03/17/03 11:49 AM (21 years, 17 days ago)

How are smart Canadians and UFO's alike?

You've heard of them but you've never seen one.
:laugh:

--------------------

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

#1384238 - 03/17/03 11:57 AM (21 years, 17 days ago)

> How are smart Canadians and UFO's alike?
> You've heard of them but you've never seen one.

Haha!  Americans should get out more!  :grin: 

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Sounds about right. [Re: pattern]
    #1384242 - 03/17/03 11:57 AM (21 years, 17 days ago)

Some truth there although many do.

--------------------

Offlinerhizo
herb eater
Loc: Superposition of possible...
    #1385302 - 03/17/03 04:36 PM (21 years, 17 days ago)

This article doesn't mention that the US is trying to bring its drug war to Canada. I'm not Canadian, but I guess they don't like having their sovereignty threatened with DEA agents running rampant raiding their citizen's homes. Oooh, but I'm sure they're just jealous of us Americans.

--------------------
An optimist is never pleasantly surprised.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#1385936 - 03/17/03 07:31 PM (21 years, 17 days ago)

Envy?

Why would the general Canadian population be envious of Americans?

I mean, it was a stupid argument when you said that was the reason for the Sept 11 attacks, but at least those people had it worse off than Americans.

Canadians don't have it worse off than Americans. Life is nice up here. I'd rather not move to the US, there's less crime, and I'm not afraid to go outside and smoke a joint.

...and comparing it to anti-semitism? For fuck's sake, get off your cross. That's not only cheap and underhanded, it's completely disrespectful.

"This time the anti-Americanism seems broader and more dangerous."

Give me a fucking break.

"President Lyndon Johnson once grabbed Prime Minister Lester Pearson by his coat lapels and shook him violently because Canada refused to follow U.S. policy on Vietnam."

...and you wonder why people think americans are idiots.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Sounds about right. [Re: Phluck]
    #1386181 - 03/17/03 09:25 PM (21 years, 17 days ago)

First, I didn't say it, a Canadian did.

Second, I don't doubt he's right.

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #1386416 - 03/18/03 12:43 AM (21 years, 17 days ago)

You are sticking your hand in the bee's nest eh? I like it actually :grin:

I have become numb to the hate that other countries feel for us.  I think it stems from our un-willingness to shift our belief system and morals to a European Ideology.  I refuse to care wether or not i'm hated by other countries.  Canada may be mad at us but they'll eventually side with us like they always do.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Offlineupupup
guardian

Loc: George "I love Hitler" Bu...
    #1386709 - 03/18/03 03:52 AM (21 years, 17 days ago)

I hope they invade us and remove the dictator that suppresses us and we can start smoking weed legally and get better a hockey!!!! :laugh:

--------------------
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

Edited by upupup (03/18/03 03:53 AM)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Sounds about right. [Re: upupup]
    #1386741 - 03/18/03 04:07 AM (21 years, 17 days ago)

Hockey sucks, and if legalized weed is all you seek, move to Holland.

It doesn't matter who the pres is, it'll be years before pot is legal in the US.

--------------------

Edited by luvdemshrooms (03/18/03 04:08 AM)

OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery

Loc: Fire in the sky
    #1386751 - 03/18/03 04:10 AM (21 years, 17 days ago)

>>>It doesn't matter who the pres is, it'll be years before pot is legal in the US. >>>

If the right person got elected it could be decriminalized overnight.

Ed Rosenthal for President of The Unitd States 2004!!!

--------------------
"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do."-King Solomon

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale