Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefreeskierpj
Just trying to learn some shit
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Up, up and away. Flag
Re: Pill divider for agar [Re: fngbronco]
    #13949394 - 02/12/11 12:48 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

fngbronco said:
Quote:

freeskierpj said:
I'm giving you :mushroom2::pinkshroom::supershroom::pinkshroom::mushroom2: because you just gave me an idea based on this...I'm only gonna post it up if it actually works but it should...

I've got the utmost confidence, I'm a pro at culturing bread molds and managed to make this work, anyone can! Thank you for the mushies too!!! If it doesn't work post anyways and we can troubleshoot it :laugh:

I found some awesome little "bead containers" today at a local huge market chain. $7 for a dozen i think, gonna pour some agar in those for culture give aways. figure they're sturdier than jewelry bags by a long shot and can be reused.

Yea I just found some old "bead containers" laying around the house that I'm thinking can be made to work with this method but I'll keep you guys posted as to my ideas...just wanna see if it's total BS before I actually make a journal post about it.

--------------------

-ProfessorPinHead
:amanita2::pinkshroom::supershroom::pinkshroom::amanita2:
My Mycological Excursions
Anything posted on these forums is strictly for fun and completely fictional.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFractalXplora
Grainiack
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pill divider for agar [Re: freeskierpj]
    #13950178 - 02/12/11 09:03 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

thats a sweet idea man, good brain you have:thumbup: will keep an eye out for some of those for sure.:cheers:

--------------------

Offlineillxyz
Life's a TRIP
Male User Gallery

Loc: necrosphere
Re: Pill divider for agar [Re: FractalXplora]
    #14050638 - 03/01/11 07:32 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

haha, i have a three week supply pill container i was gonna throw away when i moved last.
glad i didnt

--------------------

Invisiblefngbronco
Monkey Man
Male

Re: Pill divider for agar [Re: illxyz]
    #14050810 - 03/01/11 08:01 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

Nice! I've got four contaminated slots and three with healthy (or once was) myc

--------------------
I challenge you to challenge yourself more! When you feel complacent and ready to hang it up, challenge yourself to get over it! If you fail, don't look at it as you didn't succeed, look at it as you would a rock face you're trying to climb. Stand back, wayyyy back, and look at it and plot another path. If you can't find one, shuffle down the way a little, a little change of scenery or a view from a different angle may give you the insight you need.

Anything I state is relayed information from a friend of a friend and should be viewed as completely fictitious. I do not partake in any illegal or grey-area-of-the-law activities, but do have lots of friends who may or may not.    -fngbronco

Pill Divider Agar Tek

OfflineMaharishi_2_U
Opt Out Super Fag
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Streets Flag
    #14050854 - 03/01/11 08:12 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

Wow, very cool!
Good find!
Bc

InvisibleCH HELL
Brain Sturgeon
Male User Gallery

Loc: mars Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pill divider for agar [Re: Maharishi_2_U]
    #14050877 - 03/01/11 08:17 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

Petri dishes= cheap

Pill divider= expensive:shrug:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #14050906 - 03/01/11 08:23 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

fngbronco said:
in the pic I've got an isolated strain of trich (I'm really proud of that haha) and a lion's mane culture next to it. The cells are 100% sealed off from each other so there's no worries of cross contamination.

Sealed off perhaps until you open the lid in close proximity to the next compartment.  I speculate mold in one will transfer quickly to the others.  They also seem to be about double or more the price of petri dishes.  I'm trying real hard to see an advantage here, but can't.  You also need more room for the culture to grow so you can isolate the mycelium away from any contaminants.  Sorry, I just don't see it happening with these.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblefngbronco
Monkey Man
Male

Re: Pill divider for agar [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #14051253 - 03/01/11 09:21 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

You're right RR, they run about $.99 a piece but the lack of shipping cost helps. I've not had any contaminants cross transfer just because I only open 1 at a time. The contaminants were done intentionally to see if it would cross over to the tissue culture in Monday. My goal is to use them after I get an isolate so I have the right sized wedges to just grab and drop. There's not much ge but enough Monday is fully colonized and has some little lumps growing. I do agree nothing beats a petri for all around ease of work. I'm still having trouble with them, but I've also been too lazy to finish my glove box, that and I've run out of room. Sunday and Monday were done in open air (I got lucky) with the chamber just barely opened.

--------------------
I challenge you to challenge yourself more! When you feel complacent and ready to hang it up, challenge yourself to get over it! If you fail, don't look at it as you didn't succeed, look at it as you would a rock face you're trying to climb. Stand back, wayyyy back, and look at it and plot another path. If you can't find one, shuffle down the way a little, a little change of scenery or a view from a different angle may give you the insight you need.

Anything I state is relayed information from a friend of a friend and should be viewed as completely fictitious. I do not partake in any illegal or grey-area-of-the-law activities, but do have lots of friends who may or may not.    -fngbronco

Pill Divider Agar Tek

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #14051905 - 03/01/11 11:01 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

I can see using something like this to store master cultures compactly.
I don't really get a lot of contams in agar dishes. If I do, I'm pretty ruthless in  handling it.

But probably the main use is getting newbs to try agar work.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Offlineshroomie_glen
RedHotPussyLiquor
Male User Gallery

Loc: Narf Carolina Flag
Re: Pill divider for agar [Re: Doc_T]
    #14051964 - 03/01/11 11:08 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

I enjoy the novelty of this idea.
Thats pretty much it though.  i think it would be hard to sector effectively on such a small surface area.

It would be a smidgen easier for storage of master slants, but still, i like the circular shape of petris.  The mycelia grow in a circle, so it ould be simply inorganic to put them into a container where they would hit edges at seperate times.  IMO that is.

Again, I lOVE the novelty of this idea, and if it works for you, then go for it!
i aint givin up my petris though.

--------------------

No. No, man. Shit, no man.  I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' somethin' like that man.

Invisiblefngbronco
Monkey Man
Male

Re: Pill divider for agar [Re: shroomie_glen]
    #14052177 - 03/01/11 11:44 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

I've got my petri dishes too and those do rock. As doc put it, that was actually my first successful attempt with agar. A ton easier cleaning 7 slots with a fork than 20 dishes, plus it survives pressure cooking if wrapped in aluminum foil (my experiences don't apply to all) where as my plastic petri dishes warp in hot water.

This isn't meant to be a replacement to petri work, just a less threatening start for us newbs. Imagine trading 7 cultures with one box lol shipping would cost a bunch but it won't squish.

I do honestly appreciate all the input on this.

--------------------

Pill Divider Agar Tek

OfflineMaharishi_2_U
Opt Out Super Fag
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Streets Flag
    #14052398 - 03/02/11 12:38 AM (13 years, 30 days ago)

It has its place for you, it worked for you.  Good for you!
BC

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #14053086 - 03/02/11 07:14 AM (13 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

fngbronco said: Imagine trading 7 cultures with one box lol shipping would cost a bunch but it won't squish.

Mailing a pill divider would be cheap. Couple bucks.

Quote:

This isn't meant to be a replacement to petri work, just a less threatening start for us newbs

Yeah, no reason to spend hundreds of dollars before you ever start.
This way you can see what agar does before you shell out the money.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck