Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation >> Mushroom Cultivation Archive >> Casing

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: BULK SUBSTRATE TRAYS [Re: psyphon]
    #1428494 - 04/04/03 12:26 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

The only problem is that the flipping unleveled the surface of the substrate, severly on one of them. So does anybody know, should he try to level this with a fork right before applying the casing layer?

Depends how picky you are. The easiest solution would be to simply make sure that the depth of the casing is the same over the whole tray, regardless of the surface being actually level or not. This can be done on an uneven surface by using depth rings. Cut rings of large diameter PVC, tennis ball tubes, even paper towel tubes to the width that you want your casing depth to be (I'd say somewhere between .75 and 1.25 inches). Lay these rings over the uneven substrate, then case to the tops of the depth rings. Remove the rings after casing is applied. This will make your casing depth even although it will still look sloped.

Reasoning is that the depth of the substrate being uneven will have a slight impact on fruiting in that area, but far more important is to insure that the entire tray pins at the same time. An even casing depth is important to even pin set because it helps the mycelium reach the surface at the same time.

I wouldn't bother re-leveling the substrate as long as the casing is applied evenly.

Now, who's going to cut and paste all this relevant info into a doc form for the FAQ? I'd offer to, but every time I do, I never get around to it. Bad mycofile, bad!
*slaps own hand and yelps*

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemajik_monkey
Always Learning
Loc: machu picchu
Re: BULK SUBSTRATE TRAYS [Re: mycofile]
    #1428593 - 04/04/03 01:02 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

The other day I tried to PC some of that landscaping material and I ended up with a steaming, smelly, porous, molten looking block of black plastic. It was sitting on a towel in the PC and there was more than enough water...guess it was just too hot....and I DID use the right thing.... the Easy Gardner cloth. Anyone else with this problem? or am I just that special?

Anyhow, I decided to just use the stuff unsterilized. Works fine. Pasteurised substrate is supposed to be selecive anyhow, right? Day 3 and the top is 80% colonized...not bad says me.

....For all the lazy people out there...I just thought I'd plant the idea of not bothering with the PC for the cloth.

-MM

--------------------
There are more important things in life than just being really, really, ridiculously good looking. -Zoolander

OfflineRoll's all day
I'll show youmine if you showme yours......
    #1428632 - 04/04/03 01:17 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Cool so now I get to go tell my friend that he's probly fine and to just watch out for those lakes of water developing . As for the Co2, I did know that it is heavier than air but thought that the holes with the M<M<F disc's on them would work fine. However I hadn't thought about placing them on the sides which is a very good idea( making note for friend ). Now on to the Duct tape, before combining the spawn and straw my friend took the time to very thoroughly tape the bottom. I don?t know if any of you have ever tried to tape or paint the bottom of a two gallon Rubbermaid that is full of perfectly colonized substrate, that has been cased but its very tricky. Which leads me to this, if he takes the tape off now he will be able to see any of those pools of water gathering and will then be able to punch a hole in the bottom to drain any excess, the draw back is taping it back up before he births it. I will say that after thorough examination it looks like thing are growing fine and he probly shouldn't screw with it. He's on day three and thing look good so I guess that unless anyone here can think of a good reason to screw with it then he'll leave it alone!
Thanx

--------------------
Slowly but surely, I realize every day.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: BULK SUBSTRATE TRAYS [Re: majik_monkey]
    #1429154 - 04/04/03 05:07 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

The other day I tried to PC some of that landscaping material and I ended up with a steaming, smelly, porous, molten looking block of black plastic. It was sitting on a towel in the PC and there was more than enough water...guess it was just too hot....and I DID use the right thing.... the Easy Gardner cloth. Anyone else with this problem? or am I just that special?

Polyester spunbonded landscape clothe has never melted in my FOAF's experiance when being PC'ed.

Does the stuff you used look like plastc, or a cloth like material?

Because if it looks like plastic w/pin holes in it. It is not a polyester spunbonded landscape cloth.

The right stuff looks like this cloth that covers this tray:

6T

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: BULK SUBSTRATE TRAYS [Re: SixTango]
    #1429168 - 04/04/03 05:10 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Here is a close up of it.

6T

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: BULK SUBSTRATE TRAYS [Re: SixTango]
    #1439799 - 04/08/03 05:27 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

OK, I did my part for a faq contribution based on this thread, deals with what I said about even casing layers:
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23717
Who wants to compile an entry for the general info on trays? SixT, you up for it?

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Offlinemajik_monkey
Always Learning
Loc: machu picchu
    #1450539 - 04/11/03 07:36 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

You wrote:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Polyester spunbonded landscape clothe has never melted in my FOAF's experiance when being PC'ed.
Does the stuff you used look like plastc, or a cloth like material?
Because if it looks like plastic w/pin holes in it. It is not a polyester spunbonded landscape cloth.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I bought the polyethylene stuff....back to Home Depot, but I could swear I looked at everything they had and this was the only thing with the words "cloth" anywhere on it. Oh well, more looking for me.
thanks, KK

--------------------
There are more important things in life than just being really, really, ridiculously good looking. -Zoolander

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation >> Mushroom Cultivation Archive >> Casing