Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineclueless
justnew
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ANE Flag
Re: UV sterilizer in glove box? [Re: virus1824]
    #13719367 - 01/02/11 01:31 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Well bc I agree and upon further reflection I am going to switch it up a bit and go with 70% from here on out. Past success is no excuse for not following current proven technique.

--------------------
I'm a rhinestone tiger in a leisure suit.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMaharishi_2_U
Opt Out Super Fag
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Streets Flag
Re: UV sterilizer in glove box? [Re: clueless]
    #13719589 - 01/02/11 02:18 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Glad I could be of aid to you.
BC

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: UV sterilizer in glove box? [Re: Maharishi_2_U]
    #13727690 - 01/04/11 01:12 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

How can any chemical that meets these criteria be safe?

Obviously microbes and people are entirely different creatures.  A tiny bacterium swimming in an oxidizing solution like bleach, with nothing to protect its self but a sub micrometer thick porous cell membrane is obviously different from a 150 pound human with 2mm thick skin.

Many bacteria have almost no cellular mechanisms to deal with oxidizers.  Those that do are entirely overwhelmed by any significant amount of external oxidizer.  Humans have plenty of ways to deal with bleach.

Bleach as a disinfectant has been in use for a long time.  Its proven safety and effectiveness is exactly why it's the gold standard in disinfection.

Since your dishes are sanitized in bleach at almost every commercial restaurant and cafeteria in the country, it seems a little silly to me that people would be fear-mongering over using it for simple surface sterilization of lab areas.

The makers of Clorox say...
Quote:

To disinfect hard plastic toys use a solution of Clorox® Regular-Bleach. Wash, wipe or rinse toys with water then soak in a solution of ¾ cup Clorox® Regular-Bleach per gallon of water for 5 minutes. Rinse, then let air dry. If your child has been ill, you'll want to disinfect hard plastic toys with Clorox® Regular-Bleach daily.

So yeah, it's considered a good safe practice to sanitize kid's toys with bleach.  If you're worried that you're not as tough as a baby... well you've got bigger problems.

IPA has it's problems, and it just isn't a first choice disinfectant for surface sterilization.  It's flammable, it often evaporates too quickly to be effective, it's poisonous, it's more expensive, and it's less effective.  Aside from the chance of drinking a large quantity of bleach, or getting it in your eyes, bleach has none of those drawbacks.

-FF

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: UV sterilizer in glove box? [Re: fastfred]
    #13728319 - 01/04/11 08:33 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Agreed.  I use a lot of bleach.  It's hell on metal though. :frown:
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinefake estate
didgin it out
Male

Loc: NC
Re: UV sterilizer in glove box? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #13822516 - 01/20/11 07:33 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

http://www.thegreenroomblog.com/?tag=shiitake

Check that out

electromagnetic energy with the spectral qualities beyond human sight capabilities are not solely DNA hackers

these energies create healthy physiological responses in organisms as well

not saying you can necessarily extrapolate such findings to other species, but think about the psychospiritual potentiation which may be possible from such an influx of energy in the organism

--------------------
eat more algae.

Offlinepiracetam
bioanalytical chemist
Male User Gallery

Loc: TX Flag
Re: UV sterilizer in glove box? [Re: fake estate]
    #13822705 - 01/20/11 08:06 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

there are three types of UV..UVA, UVB, and UVC. UVC is the germicidal type, and does not typically reach the earth.
It's the commonly used type used in the lab to sterilize surfaces, as it creates thymine dimers in DNA, causing crosslinking.

no need to fear it, just wear gloves and goggles, or don't look directly at it.

Edited by piracetam (01/20/11 08:09 PM)

Offlinegrumbo
FunGuy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ohio
Re: UV sterilizer in glove box? [Re: piracetam]
    #13824717 - 01/21/11 06:39 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I use 91% alcohol to sterilize inside my +pressure glove box. I first wipe everything down in, out and around the box. I then plug in the fan and let it run for about 30mins+ before starting my work. I use a 10% bleach solution in a misting spray bottle and spray the room, i start by spraying toward the ceiling, the goal is for the mist to trap airborn particles and drag their asses to the ground in small droplets of certain death. I do use a toxic fumes respirator I got from lowes for about $45 when doing all of this. When I first started cultivating a short time ago I found that the bleach/ alcohol where effecting my lungs in some capacity, now I notice nothing out of the ordinary. So far I am contam free on all my agar dishes (50) and my grain inoculations (15) grain to grain transfers (20). I will continue down this same routine until I see reason to switch it up.

OfflineMaharishi_2_U
Opt Out Super Fag
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Streets Flag
Re: UV sterilizer in glove box? [Re: grumbo]
    #13824742 - 01/21/11 06:53 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

grumbo said:
I use 91% alcohol to sterilize inside my +pressure glove box. I first wipe everything down in, out and around the box. I then plug in the fan and let it run for about 30mins+ before starting my work. I use a 10% bleach solution in a misting spray bottle and spray the room, i start by spraying toward the ceiling, the goal is for the mist to trap airborn particles and drag their asses to the ground in small droplets of certain death. I do use a toxic fumes respirator I got from lowes for about $45 when doing all of this. When I first started cultivating a short time ago I found that the bleach/ alcohol where effecting my lungs in some capacity, now I notice nothing out of the ordinary. So far I am contam free on all my agar dishes (50) and my grain inoculations (15) grain to grain transfers (20). I will continue down this same routine until I see reason to switch it up.

You would be better suited, and it is generally reccomended to use lower dilution iso.  As forementioned 91% can evaporate to quickly to kill some contams.  This comes from myco nerds who have poured 5000 plates of agar....
Just sayin....
It is awesome that all of your myco accomplishments are factors of five!
Quote:

50 agar dishes 15 inoc. 20 G2G

Lol you take myco ocd to a new level... jay kay.... good job fer no contams.
I think industry standard is like ten percent, you might have found a career.
BC

Offlinegrumbo
FunGuy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ohio
Re: UV sterilizer in glove box? [Re: Maharishi_2_U]
    #13824827 - 01/21/11 07:46 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Im hoping it is a new career to be honest.. I have been a chef for 14yrs now 8yrs in restaurants and I have owned and been the CEO of a online video game business for the past 6 yrs now and it looks like things are winding down. So Im looking to make a serious jump from sitting behind a pc 24/7 to doing something I enjoy! LOL guess I like 5s!

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals