Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleandymc
cocoa beetles from zanzibar
Male User Gallery

Re: Inoculation: Flame Sterilization Vs. Alcohol Sterilization... Does it make a difference? [Re: tibberous]
    #13820696 - 01/20/11 02:03 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I can see that you do understand how this all works, but remember that noobs are going to be reading/searching this thread years from now, and they may not come away with the right idea.

They may think "if flame sterilization is good, and alcohol sanitization is good, then combining them must be better".  Most people want to do the best job they can, so it's easy to make those kinds of logical mistakes.  Look at the way some people think "if 70% IPA is good, 90% must be better", but they're wrong.

Other people are lazy, and might read this and think simply alcohol sanitizing a syringe is good enough, but if you, tibberous, own flame sterilization gear (as you seem to) and use it (as you seem to) then you clearly know that alcohol isn't good enough on its own.

Sometimes, making sure people get the right information from this forum is tricky business.

--------------------
How I make spore prints
Trade List
My flow hood

If he asks me "Did you have a good time?" I'll say,
"Get the lights, Mr. Grim Reaper"  -odds

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBase Icks
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Shroomshire Flag
Re: Inoculation: Flame Sterilization Vs. Alcohol Sterilization... Does it make a difference? [Re: tibberous]
    #13821585 - 01/20/11 04:30 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

tibberous said:
Quote:

andymc said:
Quote:

pockets le peu said:
besides that just keep the needle covered with an alcohol soaked nap and wipe between innoculations. 

:nonono: NO.  Don't touch your sterilized needle with anything, not even alcohol-soaked whatevers.

Save the alcohol for sanitizing your gloves.  Just flame-sterilize for each jar.  It's not difficult, so I don't understand why various people around here are so resistant to it.  Is it laziness?

Same reason I said - because a hot needle will melt a huge hole in plastic bag or a tyvek lid. I happen to flame sterilize then wipe - it works fine. If you can use a hot needle, great - but you don't have too. It doesn't matter whether you incinerate the bacteria or kill it or just wipe it off with a rag - it's fine. I'll bet half the contams people think they are getting from the inoc aren't even from it - there either coming from bad syringes or not pressure cooking the jars right. I haven't had a contam before bulk since I started PC'ing 90 minutes (not even off agar or LC's)

Yeah a red hot lightsaber needle :jedi: is going to mess up inoculation ports and the like. Heres how you solve that riddle. After flaming the needle end to end red hot place it back in your GB/SAB ASAP. Once in there, squeeze out a drop of two of solution.

Problem solved. Needled cooled to way less than the boiling point of water.

:awethumb:

OfflineTheCannabisSativa
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Inoculation: Flame Sterilization Vs. Alcohol Sterilization... Does it make a difference? [Re: Base Icks]
    #13821992 - 01/20/11 05:55 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I always thought/heard it was important to use alcohol as the flame your sterilizing with but everybody is saying it dosnt matter right...?

I think I remember reading something about butane being a dirty flame but must not be that important.....I'll stick with alcohol though.

Invisibleandymc
cocoa beetles from zanzibar
Male User Gallery

Re: Inoculation: Flame Sterilization Vs. Alcohol Sterilization... Does it make a difference? [Re: TheCannabisSativa]
    #13822085 - 01/20/11 06:18 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

TheCannabisSativa said:
I always thought/heard it was important to use alcohol as the flame your sterilizing with but everybody is saying it dosnt matter right...?

I think I remember reading something about butane being a dirty flame but must not be that important.....I'll stick with alcohol though.

This :confused: me for a second, but you're asking about using an alcohol lamp to flame things, am I right?

Yes, absolutely use an alcohol lamp to sterilize, if you have one.  Propange/butane work fine too.  Just don't wipe rubbing alcohol on things after you flame-sterilize them :smile:

--------------------
How I make spore prints
Trade List
My flow hood

If he asks me "Did you have a good time?" I'll say,
"Get the lights, Mr. Grim Reaper"  -odds

Offlineroaddog
turnip
Male User Gallery

Loc: third rock from the sun Flag
Re: Inoculation: Flame Sterilization Vs. Alcohol Sterilization... Does it make a difference? [Re: andymc]
    #13822149 - 01/20/11 06:30 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

You know what I dont flame sterilize, anything, ever. I dont really use alcohol ether.Well I take that back, I might flame a stored syringe. But If I just made it, I inoculate and go.But I always tell new folks to flame, because It is a good procedure to follow. But Its hell on needle tips.

Edited by roaddog (01/20/11 06:39 PM)

OfflineTheCannabisSativa
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Inoculation: Flame Sterilization Vs. Alcohol Sterilization... Does it make a difference? [Re: roaddog]
    #13822952 - 01/20/11 08:53 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

This  me for a second, but you're asking about using an alcohol lamp to flame things, am I right?

Yes, absolutely use an alcohol lamp to sterilize, if you have one.  Propange/butane work fine too.  Just don't wipe rubbing alcohol on things after you flame-sterilize them 

Yes I'm talking about using alcohol to flame things, but I use an upside down glass that somebody changes/lights alcohol when I'm ready for each jar.  I wasn't talking about using alcohol instead of or after flaming....I always wipe with alcohol after innoculting then flame the needle for the next jar. 

sorry for the response delay...

OfflineIride1203
Human
Male User Gallery

Re: Inoculation: Flame Sterilization Vs. Alcohol Sterilization... Does it make a difference? [Re: TheCannabisSativa]
    #24215226 - 04/03/17 12:34 PM (7 years, 14 days ago)

I just did some spore prints today and only used alcohol to wipe my scalpel before removing the stem. I forgot to flame sterilize, leading me to put in big letters on my SAB "Flame  sterilize". Question is- are these spore prints now contaminated and shouldn't be used? I have more fruits on the way so I am able to go go another round with making a new print.

InvisibleMad Season
hookers and blackjack
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Inoculation: Flame Sterilization Vs. Alcohol Sterilization... Does it make a difference? [Re: Iride1203]
    #24215257 - 04/03/17 12:44 PM (7 years, 14 days ago)

Expect every spore print to be contaminated, and as such agar is the best for germination. Also loops/swabs > scalpels..

--------------------
contam and car window art
How to shroomery like a pro! (Seriously, everyone read this!)
Improve your sterile techniques! (A comprehensive guide to agar)
Links upon links of literally EVERYTHING UP TO DATE

AMU Q&A
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

OfflineIride1203
Human
Male User Gallery

Re: Inoculation: Flame Sterilization Vs. Alcohol Sterilization... Does it make a difference? [Re: Mad Season]
    #24215311 - 04/03/17 01:03 PM (7 years, 14 days ago)

Ok I kinda figured since the mushroom itself is exposed to the outside elements especially in a SGFC. I also just got finished reading the Magic Mushrooms growing guide by Quaesitor and it seems as if you can still take a uncontaminated square in a contaminated agar dish (early on) and transfer the healthy cube into a new agar dish? I'm soon going to get into the agar stuff and isolate my strain off a tissue sample of these spore prints I'm making into syringes to cut down transfers. So Thanks for feedback

OfflineIride1203
Human
Male User Gallery

Re: Inoculation: Flame Sterilization Vs. Alcohol Sterilization... Does it make a difference? [Re: Iride1203]
    #24215316 - 04/03/17 01:06 PM (7 years, 14 days ago)

And as to my first question you believe these prints will still be ok to use?

InvisibleMad Season
hookers and blackjack
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #24215592 - 04/03/17 03:04 PM (7 years, 14 days ago)

Yeah they will be ok to use.

--------------------
contam and car window art
How to shroomery like a pro! (Seriously, everyone read this!)
Improve your sterile techniques! (A comprehensive guide to agar)
Links upon links of literally EVERYTHING UP TO DATE

AMU Q&A
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Offlinemrmazdarx9
Pffffttt

Loc: behind you Flag
Re: Inoculation: Flame Sterilization Vs. Alcohol Sterilization... Does it make a difference? [Re: Mad Season]
    #24215639 - 04/03/17 03:16 PM (7 years, 14 days ago)

Hello 6 years ago :facepalm:

--------------------
COCA GROWERS come here and share your knowledge
COCA GROWERS UNITE
:penis:Click here for UK trades:penis:
:penis: need some supplies in the UK check Here or PM me:penis:
UK OTD uk members chat
UK supplies and trade OTD place to chat shit
Right Here
If you use "SWIM" you should DROWN

OfflineIride1203
Human
Male User Gallery

Re: Inoculation: Flame Sterilization Vs. Alcohol Sterilization... Does it make a difference? [Re: mrmazdarx9]
    #24215779 - 04/03/17 04:00 PM (7 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

mrmazdarx9 said:
Hello 6 years ago :facepalm:

Why is that a bad thing? I'm new to the forum I just found the appropriate thread to best suit my question... Sorry if it's a pain in the ass for you.

Edited by Iride1203 (04/03/17 04:01 PM)

Offlinemrmazdarx9
Pffffttt

#24215794 - 04/03/17 04:06 PM (7 years, 14 days ago)

Its annoying to everyone to bump shit old threads and any noobs coming along could read outdated info thinking its upto date. When using the search function correctly you would have answered your question. Instead of using it as a quick search function click on the search our forum button, which then allows you to shorten the search to more modern knowledge by reducing to less than 3 years old and click on the trusted cultivators button so you only get the info what the highly knowledgeable guys like mad season above.

--------------------
COCA GROWERS UNITE
UK OTD uk members chat
Right Here

OfflineIride1203
Human
Male User Gallery

Re: Inoculation: Flame Sterilization Vs. Alcohol Sterilization... Does it make a difference? [Re: mrmazdarx9]
    #24215904 - 04/03/17 04:49 PM (7 years, 14 days ago)

Oh ok good info thanks. My bad

Offlinemrmazdarx9
Pffffttt

#24215927 - 04/03/17 04:59 PM (7 years, 14 days ago)

No worries the search bar when used correctly is actually really good its just knowing how to use it thats the issue, the quick search thing brings stuff up from 15 years ago some of the shit it brings up is funny as fuck.

--------------------
COCA GROWERS UNITE
UK OTD uk members chat
Right Here

OfflineCapnZ
Dimensional explorer
Male

Loc: In the Mystic
Re: Inoculation: Flame Sterilization Vs. Alcohol Sterilization... Does it make a difference? [Re: Ekyldog]
    #24215982 - 04/03/17 05:25 PM (7 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

Ekyldog said:
Propane torches set on low flame work great for sterilizing as well.

I love my bunsen burner. :laugh:

:whathesaid:
Propane torch on low. Yeah baby I'll never use anything else. Just squeeze out a few drops of fluid between flames to cool the needle. It will steam a bit with the first drop or 2, but once you have liquid drops coming out you are good to go. And like hamloaf said there are billions of spores in there....

--------------------
Deep into the darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before...

OfflineIride1203
Human
Male User Gallery

#24216439 - 04/03/17 08:46 PM (7 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

mrmazdarx9 said:
No worries the search bar when used correctly is actually really good its just knowing how to use it thats the issue, the quick search thing brings stuff up from 15 years ago some of the shit it brings up is funny as fuck.

Yeah I just checked it out when you sent me that last message. Very efficient thanks man

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale