Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleBigwelby
journeyman
Loc: Canada
Colonizing jars drying out -- any hope for success???
    #1380684 - 03/16/03 11:24 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Hey all. My friend has 6 jars colonizing. It's his 2nd time trying to grow - the first was a year ago and not very successful.

Right now he is using a heating pad to keep his jars at 86deg. He has micron magic filter discs underneath the metal lids, with holes punched in them (the metal lids, and innoc. spots in the discs). His jars seem like they have lost too much moisture during colonization. The substrate is very loose in the jars and there is a lot of condensation in his container. He is worried that colonization has slowed because the substrate is drying out. Since the cakes aren't fully colonized (most are about 70%) is there anything he can do to help them out? Will they finish colonization? Are they screwed? Is a dunk possible or even reccomended? He was planning on trying to case them with coir when colonized, but should he maybe just try fruiting the cakes (if that is even possible)?

Or should he just start again and get a different heat method that won't dry his cakes out?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: Colonizing jars drying out -- any hope for success??? [Re: Bigwelby]
    #1380719 - 03/16/03 11:37 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

If they are setting on a heat pad, the temp is too high & they will dry out.

Might try setting something betweenn them & the pad, covering with tinfoil & placing a quart of clean water in with then, to raise the ambiant rh in whatever the jars are in.

You didnt say what size holes, or how many?

6T

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

InvisibleBigwelby
journeyman
Loc: Canada
Re: Colonizing jars drying out -- any hope for success??? [Re: SixTango]
    #1380791 - 03/16/03 12:02 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

He has 4 small holes in each lid.

The jars are in a rubbermaid container on top of a towel, and the heating pad is under that towel. I will have my friend raise the jars off the bottom of the container a bit, cover with some foil, and put some H2O in the container to hopefully raise the RH a little bit.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation