Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemmcakes
Stranger
 User Gallery

LC Sediment
    #13805635 - 01/18/11 12:09 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

This is my second LC. My first had lot of brown stuff cloudy stuff floating around after I pressured cooked it. This second batch has less cloudy stuff (and less brown), but still some. Am I burning the sugars when pressure cooking or is this from not filtering properly? (I don't drink coffee so I used a few paper towels to filter it)

notes:
First batch - used too much dextrose/malt (8-10%) and PCed for 45 minutes
Second batch - used (hopefully) correct amount dextrose/malt (3 tbs/1L h20) and PCed for 30 minutes

Where does this sediment come from? The solution looked very clear before going into the PC. Should decrease the sterilization time or increase the filter quality?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Loc: ation is turned off.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: LC Sediment [Re: mmcakes]
    #13805701 - 01/18/11 12:28 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

mmcakes said:
This is my second LC. My first had lot of brown stuff cloudy stuff floating around after I pressured cooked it. This second batch has less cloudy stuff (and less brown), but still some. Am I burning the sugars when pressure cooking or is this from not filtering properly? (I don't drink coffee so I used a few paper towels to filter it)

notes:
First batch - used too much dextrose/malt (8-10%) and PCed for 45 minutes
Second batch - used (hopefully) correct amount dextrose/malt (3 tbs/1L h20) and PCed for 30 minutes

Where does this sediment come from? The solution looked very clear before going into the PC. Should decrease the sterilization time or increase the filter quality?

3 tablespoons of light malt and dextrose per 1 liter of water is way too much.
Secondly, 45 and 30 minutes at 15 psi is way too long of a sterilization duration for liquid mediums.

Use 1 table spoon of light malt extract per 400ml of boiling water, dextrose is not needed.
Sterilize your medium for no longer than 20 minutes at 15 psi.

The sediment is just the nutrients after they've been cooked.
Sediment is not a bad thing.
Gives something for them spores and mycelium to latch onto and expand from.

--------------------

How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

OfflinerunMD
Face Thoroughly Palmed

Loc: South Park County, CO
    #13805708 - 01/18/11 12:31 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I've done a few LCs. Non of them contaminated but I always seem to find something floating around in there either right after PCing or upon more careful inspection as growth progressed.

It was unsettling at first but if it was sterile coming out of the PC, those particulates shouldn't matter.

I only use karo and gypsum, in mine, fwiw. I'm probably moving to agar from here.

Edit: I should note that my particulates have been much finer and 'dust-like' than what is shown in your picture.

--------------------
"Are you high or just stupid?"   
"I assure you, I am NOT high"

::All my posts are fabrications or observed accounts of other people's experiences. All cultivation is for the growth of legal and edible gourmet mushrooms.::
Not A Medical Doctor.
Elementary Coir Tek
Damion's Favorite Links, I love em.

Study Them. Experience Them.Learn from Them. Respect Them.

Offlinemmcakes
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: LC Sediment [Re: runMD]
    #13805853 - 01/18/11 01:08 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the feedback!
I should note that I meant 3 tbs total (1 tbs Light Malt, 2 tbs Dextrose) not 3 of each. So 3tbs/1000mL = 1.2tbs/400mL - not too much stronger than your recommendation. I'll knock these up and see how they do.

The first batch (super sugary and lots of sediment) I did didn't really show any myc growth even after a few weeks, but I injected some into some BRF cakes and a few days later there was significant pure white growth. So I'm using this original LC to start the new one. The original was started with Cambodian MS.

What advantages does the Malt have over the Dextrose? I've read that using only malt can slow and inhibit myc growth.

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Loc: ation is turned off.
Trusted Cultivator
    #13805924 - 01/18/11 01:27 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

I've read that using only malt can slow and inhibit myc growth.

Blargh!  Mis-information.
Light malt extract alone makes every bit of a grain shredding liquid culture as the light malt extract/dextrose combination does.

The advantage of the light malt extract alone liquid medium over the combo is efficiency.
Write sporeworks and ask them what nutrient source is used in the making of their liquid cultures.

--------------------

How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale