Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekdmmontana
Male

Drying Mushrooms/Potency issue
    #13795453 - 01/16/11 06:22 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Hello!

Ive been scavenging the forum for information on proper drying/storing and I havent really found anything conclusive. Seems there are a lot of answers that doesnt seem to follow any red thread. Ive read about people using driers/heaters/dessicants etc etc. I find that a lot of them seem to have issues with both potency and proper drying so I thought Id start a good thread where we could discuss proper methods. Hopefully, we will have a rather good discussion that can help others:)

So the questions are:

1. How to properly dry mushrooms without damaging/destroy/obliterate them
2. How to prevent loss of potency, factors that affect potency etc.

I for one have no idea about these facts so I would much appreciate if someone that knew these answers gave me one (and all others), as I cant sift through all the BS that seems to fly everywhere. I have searched different questions before and it stuns me how there seems to be 20 experts that each tell a different story (and I have NO idea whom to trust..), and thus only confusing the matter. Im not saying people are not entitled to their opinion (or that they dont know shit), not at all, but please dont start fights/arguments over which poster was more right than the other/hotlink a million pages etc etc.

Lets keep this thread clean and proper, for all to learn from:)

Thank you in advance!

/kdmmontana

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBase Icks
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Shroomshire Flag
Re: Drying Mushrooms/Potency issue [Re: kdmmontana]
    #13795599 - 01/16/11 07:38 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Dehydrators work. You would nearly have to burn the mushrooms to effect potency.

I personally fan dry for 24-48 hours, then place in the oven on trays. I leave the door open an inch or two. Using a thermometer I set the oven to 120-140f. I leave them in there for an hour or two, until cracker dry. No potency issues here.

Most people will say a higher heat for a shorter amount of time is the best. Potency is lost through oxidation. Oxidation of the active compounds happens over time, over a certain temperature. The longer they are at a high heat supposedly the more loss in potency that can happen.

TBH, I have yet to hear of some one doing something during drying to effect there potency, in my time on these boards.

Until some one with the proper lab set up, that has the time and money to actually test things like this, the world may never know.

OfflineRogerRabbitV
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Re: Drying Mushrooms/Potency issue (moved) [Re: kdmmontana]
    #13795796 - 01/16/11 09:01 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

This thread was moved from Mushroom Cultivation.

Reason:
Moved to a more appropriate forum.

OfflineFieldTrip

Re: Drying Mushrooms/Potency issue (moved) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #13795945 - 01/16/11 09:47 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I simply fan dry them for a few days and I have never had a problem getting them bone dry. My desert climate has been helpful in terms of humidity. Some people will use silica gel for drying, you should find a tutorial for a desiccant drying method.

Good luck with all you growing! :sambergfive:

Offlinekdmmontana
Male

Re: Drying Mushrooms/Potency issue [Re: Base Icks]
    #13795958 - 01/16/11 09:51 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Thank you very much Base! And thanks RR for moving the thing, didnt know I was in the wrong place:)

The thing was, my friend got a load of mushrooms from me, guess they must have oxidized...

Correct me if I am wrong, but this is how I figured it.

The mushrooms that I gave him werent that dry, in fact they werent properly dried. They turned black (oxidization I can assume) and "mushy"..

My greatest guess is that you are spot on, that one have to dry the mushrooms properly fast and then pack them away form light, heat and other elements!

Thank you I got it..:smile:

OfflineHarryL
Squnä'am
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington State
    #13796010 - 01/16/11 10:11 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

So far, I think using a fan is the best way I have used.  If you want to go the extra measure, put them on a screen so more air flow but I just put them on newspaper. I think the key is to dry fast and most folks will say don't heat over 120 F... No idea where that came from... But sounds good.

Storage... In my opinion, the best way for storage is vacuum packed and frozen...

If you want to be low cost, put the dried mushrooms in a ziplock bag, put a straw in it, zip it down to just the straw is sticking out.... Suck all the air out and zip shut while pulling out he straw
There are machines that do this and seal but....

Would think that minimize handling, thaw-freeze cycles and Keep mushrooms whole makes sense....

--------------------
Mushroom hunting:  One bad mushroom can ruin your day! Know it or throw it.

InvisibleBase Icks
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Shroomshire Flag
Re: Drying Mushrooms/Potency issue [Re: HarryL]
    #13796221 - 01/16/11 11:06 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

If they are still moist or have moisture inside of them they will rot, it turn black. You dont want to eat them they will make you sick.

Offlinekdmmontana
Male

Re: Drying Mushrooms/Potency issue [Re: Base Icks]
    #13796297 - 01/16/11 11:23 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

thank you very much for that information! I am sad to say that I must have done something wrong on the way.

Im learning alot!

Thanks all!

Invisibleconformist
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE Flag
    #13796764 - 01/16/11 01:13 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Like the post above mentioned, dehydrators work great to get them dry.
Here is a post that has a video on how to dry things with a fan and two AC filters.

Either of the above methods will get them mostly dry, once you take them out they will start absorbing moisture again (from the air). They need to be fully dried and kept in a sealed container that will keep moisture out. A glass jar with a rubber seal will work, maybe even freezer bags. If you use plastic bags you have to be sure they aren't gas permeable.

You can use desiccant to get any remaining moisture out for long term storage, then put them in the sealed container with new dry desiccant. Keep the mushrooms from contact with the desiccant - either put the desiccant in a pouch of some sort or separate it from the mushrooms with a screen.

I can't speak for the dry rid, as far as I know you can't reuse it.

I think the best thing for you to use is some sort of desiccant that can be reused, one that can be put in the oven, fully dried and put in the sealed container that way when you put your fan/dehydrator dried mushrooms in it you know that there is no moisture.

Just be sure that once you dry the desiccant in the oven, take it out and put it in the sealed container while it is still warm (not hot) and let it cool in the sealed container while it is sealed. If you let it fully cool down in the oven it will just absorb moisture while cooling.

So either fan dry or dehydrate them, put them in a container with oven dried desiccant to further dry them then put them in a sealed container with new, dry, cool desiccant for long term storage.

I'll try to find the types of desiccant that you can reuse. One type is sold at craft stores for drying flowers, it has an indicator in it that turns blue when it has absorbed moisture.

You can also make desiccant by using Epsom salt that can be purchased at drug stores or department stores in the pharmacy area - people use it in bath water. You put it in the oven at high temperature which drives out the water. It starts off as large crystals which will crumble into smaller crystals. It will probably stick together but is easily broken up.

Edited by conformist (01/16/11 01:51 PM)

OfflineJabbawaya

Re: Drying Mushrooms/Potency issue [Re: conformist]
    #13796784 - 01/16/11 01:17 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Fan dry overnight, then stick them in a desiccant box and leave them in there as long as you like. If you can't think of how to make a desiccant box, look it up, or just fan dry for a few days. Once they're cracker dry put them in an airtight jar with a small packet of desiccant if you have it. They'll be just fine for years with or without as long as they're cracker dry.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom