Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleLobsterSauceDiscord
 User Gallery

World faces overpopulation 'disaster' as number of people is set to rise by 75 million EACH YEAR
    #13773630 - 01/12/11 08:29 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

* Global population is expected to peak at 9.5bn in 2075
    * Annual rise is the equivalent of entire UK population

The world is edging closer to overpopulation Armageddon as swelling cities drain the planet of its vital resources, a report warns today.

Population growth, especially in newly developing countries, is the 'defining challenge of the 21st century'.

It represents a greater potential threat than climate change, according to the Institution of Mechanical Engineers.

Over the next six decades the world's population is expected to explode, soaring from 6.9billion to peak at 9.5billion in 2075, the report says.

Each year the number of people in the world is due to rise by 75million - equivalent to the entire population of the UK.

Most of the growth will be in the African continent, which is following in the industrial footsteps of Asia, and in cities.

The world's urban population is likely to increase from a 2007 figure of 3.3billion to 6.4billion in 2050.

But without drastic changes there will not be sufficient resources to provide people with basic human needs such as water, food, energy and shelter, says the report, entitled Population: One Planet, Too Many People?

Climate change is likely to place even more stress on resources, resulting in as many as a billion people moving from inhospitable regions.

Water requirements are projected to rise by 30 per cent by 2030 while food resources will be stretched by a doubling of demand for agricultural produce by 2050.

Slum living, already forced on a third of the world's urban populations, will become even more widespread as cities became increasingly packed with people.

As a result billions could be at risk of hunger, thirst and appalling living conditions, creating tinderbox conditions that could ignite civil unrest and conflict.

The report, compiled with the help of more than 70 engineers around the world, sets out a series of 'engineering development goals' as a first step towards averting the looming disaster.

It calls for a global engineering initiative, modelled on the United Nations' Millennium Development Goals, to tackle the key problem areas of energy, water, food, urbanisation and finance.

Lead author Dr Tim Fox said: 'Towards the end of the century the world is going to come face to face with the challenges of the largest population explosion in human history.

'These headline figures really are staggering from a resources point of view and for the provision of the basic needs of human society.'

Engineering solutions such as reducing energy waste, improving food storage and extracting water from underground aquifers would allow the world to sustain a population of 9.5billion, said Dr Fox.

The cost would run into many trillions of pounds, but would be affordable if richer nations were willing to share financial as well as technological resources.

A key necessity is to help poorer nations 'leapfrog' the resource-hungry 'dirty' phase of industrialisation.

As population levels soar in newly emerging industrialised countries, those in developed parts of the world such as the UK and US are likely to stabilise or even fall, said the report.

The population of Europe is expected to decline by 20 per cent by 2050. However, the impact of global population growth would still be felt around an increasingly connected world where changes in one region could have an impact 'many thousands of miles away'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1346357/World-faces-overpopulation-disaster-number-people-set-rise-75-million-EACH-YEAR.html#ixzz1ApqeGjO7

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineboxcarguy07
Uno
Male User Gallery

Loc: SC
Re: World faces overpopulation 'disaster' as number of people is set to rise by 75 million EACH YEAR [Re: LobsterSauce]
    #13773650 - 01/12/11 08:36 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

"edging closer" to overpopulation?
shit, we're already there

--------------------
:musicnote:Music doesn't stop at the ears when it begins at the heart.:musicnote:

:psychsplit:"Sit in reverie and watch the changing color of the waves that break upon the idle seashore of the mind."
            -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow:psychsplit:

InvisibleLobsterSauceDiscord
 User Gallery

Re: World faces overpopulation 'disaster' as number of people is set to rise by 75 million EACH YEAR [Re: boxcarguy07]
    #13773669 - 01/12/11 08:44 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Ya well things will really have gone tits up by then.

--------------------

InvisibleBodhi of Ankou
*alternate opinion blocks path*
Other

Loc: Soviet Canukistan Flag
Re: World faces overpopulation 'disaster' as number of people is set to rise by 75 million EACH YEAR [Re: LobsterSauce]
    #13773676 - 01/12/11 08:47 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

The genetic programming that makes it so we all want our own kid to continue the lineage, is going to fuck us all in the ass.

OfflinePatlal
You ask too many questions
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ottawa Flag
Re: World faces overpopulation 'disaster' as number of people is set to rise by 75 million EACH YEAR [Re: boxcarguy07]
    #13773681 - 01/12/11 08:48 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Yes, this problem is the hardest to address too cause you cant start killing people or telling people not to have children.

The pope is saying not to use condoms in africa...

Sometimes I just think that a solution would be to spread a man made plague on the overpopulated country killing hundreds of million, then I think to myself, yes... thats it psycho...how about nuking a few cities while were at it?

Solving this problem is going up against all the morals in the world.

Limit every country to 1 child per family?

Penalize overpopulated country?

The solution will be very hard to find... any ideas on what to do about it?

--------------------

Invisiblelinkamathingy
Aspiring Mycologist

Re: World faces overpopulation 'disaster' as number of people is set to rise by 75 million EACH YEAR [Re: Patlal]
    #13773694 - 01/12/11 08:54 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Patlal said:
Yes, this problem is the hardest to address too cause you cant start killing people or telling people not to have children.

The pope is saying not to use condoms in africa...

Sometimes I just think that a solution would be to spread a man made plague on the overpopulated country killing hundreds of million, then I think to myself, yes... thats it psycho...how about nuking a few cities while were at it?

Solving this problem is going up against all the morals in the world.

Limit every country to 1 child per family?

Penalize overpopulated country?

The solution will be very hard to find... any ideas on what to do about it?

don't worry about it. seriously. most solutions you'll find are malthusian or eugenicist, genocidal. it will equal off like any other organism's population in a limited ecosystem

education does make a huge difference though. educated women have far fewer children. it's a potential solution, poverty would cause lack of education, and a desire to spit out kids.

--------------------
SCIENCE!!!
If NIST didn't even investigate whether explosives were used, how can we trust their investigation? It's a rule whenever explosions are heard.
Though I Laugh
EyegasmArt.com
anonymous: without name
Anonymous: a group with a name
don't be fooled, have a revolution on your own terms.

OfflineGGTBod
Bod
Male User Gallery

Loc: 55 degrees north England
Re: World faces overpopulation 'disaster' as number of people is set to rise by 75 million EACH YEAR [Re: linkamathingy]
    #13773714 - 01/12/11 08:59 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

we just need a good world war bu make a new Geneva style convention where we just use infantry by the millions in big fields, my gang on your gang for about 20 years should sort it out :tongue:

InvisibleBodhi of Ankou
Other

Re: World faces overpopulation 'disaster' as number of people is set to rise by 75 million EACH YEAR [Re: GGTBod]
    #13773721 - 01/12/11 09:02 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Thats exactly whats gonna happen, Natural instinct for survival is going to lead to mass global wars over resources till we decimate ourselves enough that we can start to rebuild.

But eh what can you do but enjoy the peace while it lasts :bonghit:

Invisiblethoughts
imagining.
Male User Gallery

Loc: here.
Re: World faces overpopulation 'disaster' as number of people is set to rise by 75 million EACH YEAR [Re: Bodhi of Ankou]
    #13773739 - 01/12/11 09:08 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Have you guys ever roadtripped across any country?
There's plently of room, this is B.S., move out of the city, people.

--------------------
I need Jesus.

InvisibleBodhi of Ankou
Other

Re: World faces overpopulation 'disaster' as number of people is set to rise by 75 million EACH YEAR [Re: thoughts]
    #13773748 - 01/12/11 09:11 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Theres a lot of space,but where are all the resources gonna come from and how to you plan on socially engineering the general populace to change there ideals.

OfflinePatlal
Male User Gallery

Re: World faces overpopulation 'disaster' as number of people is set to rise by 75 million EACH YEAR [Re: thoughts]
    #13773750 - 01/12/11 09:11 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

iwasaClown said:

I dont think space is the issue here. It more the fresh water... then again lets boil ocean water right? Food is no issue, ever since we managed to invent nitrogen fertilizers we can grow food for like 15 billion. As for the pollution, someone will come up with that brialliant idea.

Wait a minute.... Is there a problem????

--------------------

Invisiblelinkamathingy
Aspiring Mycologist

#13773755 - 01/12/11 09:12 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

iwasaClown said:

this too, who says people are suffering greatly yet from overpopulation? i haven't felt it.

people suffer from the pillage of their countries by the IMF and the World Bank, the corporatocracy, and then global warming elitist fearmongers say the reason people are living in horrible conditions is that there are too many of them

--------------------
SCIENCE!!!
If NIST didn't even investigate whether explosives were used, how can we trust their investigation? It's a rule whenever explosions are heard.
Though I Laugh
EyegasmArt.com

InvisibleBodhi of Ankou
Other

Re: World faces overpopulation 'disaster' as number of people is set to rise by 75 million EACH YEAR [Re: linkamathingy]
    #13773762 - 01/12/11 09:17 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

You havent felt it, so it isnt a problem? :rolleyes:

Invisiblelinkamathingy
Aspiring Mycologist

Re: World faces overpopulation 'disaster' as number of people is set to rise by 75 million EACH YEAR [Re: Bodhi of Ankou]
    #13773783 - 01/12/11 09:25 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

that obviously wasn't the whole of my response there. have you felt it? i think food may be running out worldwide according to the National Inflation Association, but i may be incorrect. Shouldn't matter to the prepared survivalist with a food bank.

i've got to see people eating all the leaves off trees, rushing everywhere like rats in a basement before i believe this overpopulation stuff.

Fearmongering, relax and prepare for whatever may come in life, lack of food or elitist genocidal bastards

--------------------
SCIENCE!!!
Though I Laugh
EyegasmArt.com

Invisiblethoughts
imagining.
Male User Gallery

Loc: here.
    #13773786 - 01/12/11 09:26 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Bodhi of Ankou said:
Theres a lot of space,but where are all the resources gonna come from and how to you plan on socially engineering the general populace to change there ideals.

If we can make a city in the middle of the desert, (Vegas) i think we can manage to spread out
anywhere else if people really wanted to.
And fuck the mass, general populace. You gotta start one person at a time.

--------------------
I need Jesus.

OfflinePatlal
Male User Gallery

#13773789 - 01/12/11 09:28 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Food isnt the issue.. were all obese, we eat the amount of food that could feed 3 people... Lack of food would actually be a great thing for people

--------------------

OfflineWhere Is Life
Where Is My Mind?
Male

#13773800 - 01/12/11 09:32 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I don't see the issue here, I'm pretty sure if at least some part of our population isn't retarded they could figure something out to get enough space/food for everybody.

--------------------

Invisiblelinkamathingy
Aspiring Mycologist

Re: World faces overpopulation 'disaster' as number of people is set to rise by 75 million EACH YEAR [Re: Where Is Life]
    #13773815 - 01/12/11 09:35 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Patlal said:
Food isnt the issue.. were all obese, we eat the amount of food that could feed 3 people... Lack of food would actually be a great thing for people

Quote:

Where Is Life said:
I don't see the issue here, I'm pretty sure if at least some part of our population isn't retarded they could figure something out to get enough space/food for everybody.

there is no issue! everything is running smoothly and will run smoothly. all who can't find food, like deer who can't forage correctly, actually shouldn't be alive. people are tricked by grocery stores and concrete into thinking they don't need to know how to survive until shit goes down, the lolz, thats when it's too late

--------------------
SCIENCE!!!
Though I Laugh
EyegasmArt.com

InvisibleBodhi of Ankou
Other

#13773818 - 01/12/11 09:36 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

iwasaClown said:
Quote:

Bodhi of Ankou said:

If we can make a city in the middle of the desert, (Vegas) i think we can manage to spread out
anywhere else if people really wanted to.
And fuck the mass, general populace. You gotta start one person at a time.

Wheres the water gonna come from to support the exponentially growing mass's? you gonna rape all the aquifers, then what? Wheres all the minerals and metals and wood gonna come from? theres only a finite amount of those around the earth too. You gonna deforest more land and open it up for soil erosion, and decimation of species? How are we gonna keep up this explosion of technology if we dont have the minerals and finite elements integral to there manufacture? You gonna turn the entire earth into a feed lot for humans? rape every forest out there and turn it all into agricultural land?

This

And the current standard of westernized living is COMPLETELY unsustainable. most clean energy techonolgies, most notable being the magnets required in electric generating motors are NOT sustainable viable options due to the finite amount of mineral and material resources on the earth.

But no everythings okay cause you cant feel its effects...YET. Like it or not this is gonna become a global issue in the next twenty years that WILL invade the sanctity of your living room.

Offlineelectricfeel
wild wallflower
Female

Loc: sinking into the center
    #13773822 - 01/12/11 09:37 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Bodhi of Ankou said:
The genetic programming that makes it so we all want our own kid to continue the lineage, is going to fuck us all in the ass.

Regardless of how severe the issue of overpopulation may or may not be, I agree with Doug Stanhope. I'm not going to have kids. The fact is, this world does not need any more people. And I would hate myself for bringing a new person into this world right when I KNOW that the world is really going to shit. It feels like the later you are born, the more you are getting fucked. I think everyone should start adopting kids, let's start taking care of the billions of suffering people who are already here before we bring billions more assholes into the population.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom