Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Loc: Inner Eye
Please tell me Im right and not going nuts
    #1368419 - 03/12/03 06:50 AM (21 years, 21 days ago)

I?m putting this in advanced mushroom cultivation because this is an unusual story from a friend of mine, and don?t need amateur answers.....

I had a batch of mushrooms harvested about a moth ago. When they were growing, they had a bit of mycelium growing up the stems, but that was fine, and I proceeded to dry them successfully into cracker dry specimens and stored them in some ziplock bags for future use.
Recently I shared a few of my dried specimens with a friend, I shoved them in her bag pretty tight, and she likes to throw that bag around. So when she examined the mushrooms and told me that they were "moldy" I was very confused.....Upon further describing them, and sending some pictures, I realized that this was very unusual if it was true. Shes said they had a "moldy icing sugar like coating"...and were "green".......later on she described it more as a "green velvety coating"......
I asked her if her bag was in the water at all, or if it got wet, and she said no. They were also in a ziplock bag, and they were, as I said before, cracker dry.
So this is very unusual, she doesn?t see dried mushrooms very often though, and there are many shapes and textures that can come into the finished product. You can have spore stains (Black) on them.....The "velvety coating" is probably from the agressive mycelium that climbed up the stem (Harmless)....and " the green" is probably from all the bruising...
Please tell me Im right on this, and that shes just freaking out. The only other mushrooms shes seen were from me as well, this is the first time I gave her ones that were so massive (2g each) and that had mycellium creeping up the stems while growing...and that were so bruised up in her bag.....

Thanks for any answers...

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
Just take my clothes and leave
And I'll be gone

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineflatalbert
MexicanaJalisco,Stamets, andfractals
Loc: One of those corn states
Re: Please tell me Im right and not going nuts [Re: Northernsoul]
    #1368761 - 03/12/03 08:54 AM (21 years, 21 days ago)

I can't tell for sure, but you might have had some sort of infection by the look of the stems. They don't just look like shadows and it sounds more complicated than you describe. I don't have The Mushroom Cultivator handy or I would look it up.

Did they dry slowly? The moisture can let nasties take foot. Looks almost like mildew.

Peace
Flat

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
    #1368795 - 03/12/03 09:07 AM (21 years, 21 days ago)

I can't really tell that much from the images but I once put some apparently dry shrooms in a zip lock bag and after a month or so there was a grey, fuzzy mould growing all over them. I suppose although they appeared cracker dry there was still some moisture left in the stems that caused this.

I now store my shrooms in large paper envelopes and haven't had problems since !

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Re: Please tell me Im right and not going nuts [Re: Bi0TeK]
    #1369125 - 03/12/03 10:46 AM (21 years, 21 days ago)

Nope, this isnt a contam from being in a plastic bag, the other half of that same batch is in a plastic bag and theyre the same partialy bruised and fuzzy on the bottom part from the mycelium that creeped up it while growing it.....

--------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
And I'll be gone

Offlinerealrasta
man in my closet

#1369251 - 03/12/03 11:42 AM (21 years, 21 days ago)

noooo way man there fine youre right. my mushies turn light green to blue but they are cracker dry. some times when they dry they turn a kinda ting yellow like when some one smokes alot of ciggarettes in a rooom with white walls. but they look like any mush and the green is usally light blue effected by this very light yellowish color as above

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Re: Please tell me Im right and not going nuts [Re: realrasta]
    #1369261 - 03/12/03 11:44 AM (21 years, 21 days ago)

THANKS!! IM FUCKEN LOSING IT OVER THIS, SHES SUCH A NEWB AND NEVER SEEN A BAD ASS BRUISED MONSTER LIKE THE ONE I GAVE HER!

--------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
And I'll be gone

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

#1369615 - 03/12/03 01:49 PM (21 years, 21 days ago)

Here, this is exactly what my mushrooms looked like when they were being grown, except I did mine in casings. My fuzz ran all the way up the stem, and when i picked them there was a bit of bruising, plus a bit more from handling them. Not to mention all the spores that came out when the veil broke......

When it dries u still have that fluffy mycellium on it, and you can even leave a fingerprint on it, its THAT fine.....
Does that give u a better a picture of what she has now? :confused: 

--------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
And I'll be gone

Anonymous

#1369953 - 03/12/03 03:14 PM (21 years, 21 days ago)

hahaha northernsoul you're the guy who got abducted!
post some more pics theyre hilarious.
Mycellium is good to eat :smile:
Don't eat cakes with verm in it though... verm makes you sick... lol.

Offlinerealrasta
man in my closet

Re: Please tell me Im right and not going nuts [Re: daba]
    #1370481 - 03/12/03 05:39 PM (21 years, 21 days ago)

yeah it just was a spotty recovery from bruising. it didnt heal right so a lil bluein stayed that looks handeled thats all

OfflineSemperUbiSubUbi
some dude

Loc: Colorado
Re: Please tell me Im right and not going nuts [Re: realrasta]
    #1370731 - 03/12/03 07:06 PM (21 years, 21 days ago)

From the looks of your first pics I would say your ok but that last pic raised some questions.. I looked through TMC and diddn't find anything matching what I saw in the pics exactly. A coupla Q's that might help identifying whats going on.
Did you notice anything strange about the shrooms?
Did you split one open? what was in there?
did they open early?, have small porportioned caps?
did all of the other shrooms abort after you picked the wierd looking ones?
Did you touch the shroom making it turn blue? or did it just appear spontaneously?\
Did the casing appear to be contam'd?
My general rule about this kind of this is: When in doubt, throw it out.
I found this contam in TMC called Fusarium that starts out growing fuzzy white and can turn all sorts of colors: pink, red, YELLOW, PURPLE, reddish purple, and even one that stays WHITE. It also says that this contam inhibits shroom growth and causes most of them to abort.
And believe me people, it is a nasty one, It says here it can cause vertigo, bleeding, headaches, chills, and nausea, and is responsible for many deaths.

my 2 cents

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Re: Please tell me Im right and not going nuts [Re: flatalbert]
    #1372729 - 03/13/03 11:10 AM (21 years, 20 days ago)

I can't tell for sure, but you might have had some sort of infection by the look of the stems.\

Please look at the pic of the mushrooms growing on the cake above, thats a perfect match to what mycelium was climbing up the stem, its just mycelium. If it wasnt mycelium, I would have seen some green or whatever colour spores erupting from the white fuzz...Trich infection....but it was just mycelium overgrowth..

--------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
And I'll be gone

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Re: Please tell me Im right and not going nuts [Re: SemperUbiSubUbi]
    #1372784 - 03/13/03 11:29 AM (21 years, 20 days ago)

Did you notice anything strange about the shrooms?
Did you split one open? what was in there?
did they open early?, have small porportioned caps?
did all of the other shrooms abort after you picked the wierd looking ones?
Did you touch the shroom making it turn blue? or did it just appear spontaneously?
Did the casing appear to be contam?d?
My general rule about this kind of this is: When in doubt, throw it out.
I found this contam in TMC called Fusarium that starts out growing fuzzy white and can turn all sorts of colors: pink, red, YELLOW, PURPLE, reddish purple, and even one that stays WHITE. It also says that this contam inhibits shroom growth and causes most of them to abort.
And believe me people, it is a nasty one, It says here it can cause vertigo, bleeding, headaches, chills, and nausea, and is responsible for many deaths.

>>>Did you notice anything strange about the shrooms?

No, if you take a look at the cake pic posted above with the mycelium clumbing up the sides, thats normal unless later on you start to see the infection sporilating (usually with green spores or many different other colours) this was not an infection upon further daily observation and countless investigating on here.

>>>Did you split one open? what was in there?

Id split some of the larger ones, and they were fine. Sometimes if you let them grow too long with inadaquate moisture in the casing and less that prime conditions, youll have one or two that will rot, from the inside most times. In this case I would throw these away.

>>>>>did they open early?, have small porportioned caps?

No, these were fully developed with very healthy sized caps, each mushroom weighed aprox 1.5-2g dried......

>>>>>>did all of the other shrooms abort after you picked the wierd looking ones?
No, most the time I would pick them all at once for a nice even pinset and starting area for the second or third flush.

>>>>>>>Did you touch the shroom making it turn blue? or did it just appear spontaneously?
As you will see in the picture I will provide as a very good example of what I had in these flushes.....You will see due to (Most likely overlay) there wasnt adaquate moisture in the casing, therefor causing stess on the mushroom and making it bruise just a tiny bit. After that, yes, I did bruse them by picking them fast and handling them for drying etc....

>>>>Did the casing appear to be contam?d?

No, I had overlay in some casings though. Any sort of white build up that did occour always turned out to be just mycelium poking through the layer, as I would wait and see if it would sporilate and turn green or any other colour. This was an agressive...and repressive B+ strrain that had some agressive charicteristics....probably due to its genetics and gene pool...(Low budget vendor)

>>>My general rule about this kind of this is: When in doubt, throw it out.

Absolutely. In fear of not only contaminating the rest of my 7-9 casings in the same area, I ALWAYS throw anything out that looks suspicious....Ive never kept anything that looked bad around long enough to fully develop ...like letting it grow mushrooms...I was always able to tell early....I was so paranoid of contams, that I probably threw out alot of casing that were fine, but hey, theres always more casing material, and always more PF jars to make more!

HERE IS WHAT MY BATCH FOR THESE MUSHROOMS LOOKED LIKE, EXCEPT I HAD CASINGS.

--------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
And I'll be gone

Invisibleperuvian spark
Stranger

#1372805 - 03/13/03 11:38 AM (21 years, 20 days ago)

^^^^^ When those mushrooms were dried out, they DID have a strange blue-grey velvety look to the stems where the fuzz is at. Don't worry about it, its just dried up and bruised fuzz.  :wink: 

--------------------
"The only unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain and everything is changeable."

Edited by peruvian spark (03/13/03 11:41 AM)

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Re: Please tell me Im right and not going nuts [Re: peruvian spark]
    #1372843 - 03/13/03 11:50 AM (21 years, 20 days ago)

And this fuzz (unless it turns a different colour over the course of a few days) ..is fine right? Its just mycelium, isnt it! Ive been doing this obsesively for over a year now (Shrooming) ...I get someone thats only seen a few shroom, that were always in real good shape (no bruising or fuzz)...and gets grossed out by a little bruising and some mycelium crawling up the stem...man, I swear, the exact same people also always get all fussy when they order a pizza.."oh, i dont want any itty bitty green things on my pizza"....parsly flakes?..."yeah, no green stuff"....and that always wont eat a bannana if it has one tiney brown spot on it the size of a flea....what do u call those kind of people again?

--------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
And I'll be gone

Invisibleperuvian spark
Stranger

#1373061 - 03/13/03 01:03 PM (21 years, 20 days ago)

Yes, that fuzz is expected on the stems of dried mushrooms that had fuzz on them when they were growing. Its just fine. If your friend doesn't like them, tell her to quit her bitchin' and give them back!! She shouldn't be so picky, especially if you gave her a good deal!

--------------------
"The only unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain and everything is changeable."

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Re: Please tell me Im right and not going nuts [Re: peruvian spark]
    #1373142 - 03/13/03 01:40 PM (21 years, 20 days ago)

Yeah, Id say. Mushrooms have the fuzz, and they turn blue/green from bruising. If its your first time seeing this, dont automaticly assume its mold or some sorta contam. I mean I sealed them in a ziplock, and then in an envelope, and then inside a package which never even got wet......absolutely no chance man. Ive PM'd a few of the old-hands in here, and they agree.....I guess she'll only take ones that arent bruised and that are flawless...lol...fucken picky people

--------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
And I'll be gone

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #1373997 - 03/13/03 08:09 PM (21 years, 20 days ago)

It?s very difficult to judge it by the looks only.
I wouldn?t be sure that it?s not mold by these pictures

But if you are completely sure that the mushrooms were completely dry, and they were stored in a dry place in a sealed plastic baggie , then there is no way they can get moldy during the storage.

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Re: Please tell me Im right and not going nuts [Re: Anno]
    #1376058 - 03/14/03 11:30 AM (21 years, 19 days ago)

Thanks for your input everyone

--------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
And I'll be gone

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags