Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
What, IYO, is sanity?
    #13746586 - 01/07/11 09:54 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

?

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: What, IYO, is sanity? [Re: Poid] * 1
    #13746602 - 01/07/11 09:57 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

It's Mr. Clause's first name.

Or

Fitting into the norms of culture.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: What, IYO, is sanity? [Re: Poid] * 1
    #13746603 - 01/07/11 09:57 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Roughly speaking, its not being in a state where your thought processes cause severe discomfort/stress in your life or debilitating interactions with others of your species.

Offlinedesert father
Stranger
Re: What, IYO, is sanity? [Re: Poid]
    #13746621 - 01/07/11 10:01 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

sanity is complete objective control of the current of thought (stream of conciousness)

--------------------
vi veri veniversum vivus vici

What she said :
"I smoke 'cos I'm hoping for an
Early death
AND I NEED TO CLING TO SOMETHING !"

OfflineSpace Elf
 User Gallery

#13746628 - 01/07/11 10:03 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Based on my first-hand study of someone with severe schizophrenia, I'd say sanity is the ability to differentiate delusions from reality or rather, having the full ability to choose what you believe and/or hold as fact. The aforementioned person I know cannot choose what he believes but instead he's forced to believe his delusions without  the involvement of logical analysis.

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What, IYO, is sanity? [Re: Space Elf]
    #13746674 - 01/07/11 10:14 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

desert father said:
sanity is complete objective control of the current of thought (stream of conciousness)

What do you mean by "objective control", and how does it differ from subjective control?

Quote:

Space Elf said:
Based on my first-hand study of someone with severe schizophrenia, I'd say sanity is the ability to differentiate delusions from reality or rather, having the full ability to choose what you believe and/or hold as fact. The aforementioned person I know cannot choose what he believes but instead he's forced to believe his delusions without  the involvement of logical analysis.

Some schizophrenics have full control of their delusions, and form them via logical analysis--would you say such people are sane?

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

OfflineSpace Elf
 User Gallery

#13746721 - 01/07/11 10:24 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

The delusions themselves are brought on by the insanity. The analysis involved only seems logical to the schizophrenic, who has absolutely no concept of reality, in severe cases. To anyone else, there is no logic involved whatsoever. No severe schizophrenic has control over his or her delusions without medication. Less severe schizophrenia exhibits similar characteristics to severe schizophrenia but obviously it doesn't have as powerful of an effect on the person's logic and reasoning. Therefore, they can differentiate delusion from reality more easily.

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13746744 - 01/07/11 10:28 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

What do you mean by 'reality'?

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

OfflineSpace Elf
 User Gallery

#13746777 - 01/07/11 10:36 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

The logical perspective of someone who is sane.

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13746794 - 01/07/11 10:40 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

So the logical perspective of someone who is insane is not reality?

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

OfflineSpace Elf
 User Gallery

#13746831 - 01/07/11 10:48 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

There's no such thing as a "logical perspective" from an unmedicated severe schizophrenic. Just because it seems logical to them doesn't mean it's actually true.

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13746844 - 01/07/11 10:51 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Space Elf said:
There's no such thing as a "logical perspective" from an unmedicated severe schizophrenic.

So you're saying it's impossible for a severe schizophrenic who doesn't take medication to have a logical perspective on something? I guess you've never seen the movie A Beautiful Mind...

Quote:

Space Elf said:
Just because it seems logical to them doesn't mean it's actually true.

It also doesn't mean that it's not true.

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

InvisibleDieCommie

#13746855 - 01/07/11 10:53 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

So because he was good at math, his perspective must have been logical?  I dont buy it.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What, IYO, is sanity? [Re: DieCommie]
    #13746877 - 01/07/11 10:55 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

His understanding of mathematics certainly was logical; I'm not saying that absolutely all of his perspectives were logical.

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

InvisibleDieCommie

#13746889 - 01/07/11 10:59 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

His understanding of mathematics is irrelevant to being sane or insane.  His logical perspectives are relevant, and his perspectives were quite illogical.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What, IYO, is sanity? [Re: DieCommie]
    #13747150 - 01/07/11 11:56 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
His understanding of mathematics is irrelevant to being sane or insane.

But it's not irrelevant to whether or not he is able to logically perceive at least some things.

Quote:

DieCommie said:
His logical perspectives are relevant, and his perspectives were quite illogical.

Sure, some of his perspectives were quite illogical,  but that's not to say that absolutely all of them were.

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

InvisibleDieCommie

#13747155 - 01/07/11 11:58 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Whether or not 'absolutely all of them were' is also irrelevant.  One logical and grounded perspective does not a sane person make.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13747190 - 01/07/11 12:07 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
One logical and grounded perspective does not a sane person make.

That wasn't my point, though, I was just rebutting Space Elf's claim that "There's no such thing as a "logical perspective" from an unmedicated severe schizophrenic"; since John Nash was a severe schizophrenic who was able to hold a logical perspective on something, that claim is false.

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

OfflineI AM SWIM
doin' thangs
 User Gallery

Loc: Feels Changsta Man
    #13747327 - 01/07/11 12:40 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: What, IYO, is sanity? [Re: I AM SWIM]
    #13750048 - 01/07/11 09:41 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

sanity is a healthful resilience to help ride life, emotion. and changes.
this applies regardless of your genetic or financial disposition and family history.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale