Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
OfflineDERRAYLD
Constructus

Loc: South Africa
Re: Fungi Perfecti my arse. [Re: brainbreath]
    #2808274 - 06/19/04 03:54 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

brainbreath said:
These oysters are from stamets. I paid $125 for the culture, and in one run made $7200 I have no complaints.

That`s the way I understand it.

--------------------
Derrayld and out of control

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblephalcon005

Re: Fungi Perfecti my arse. [Re: DERRAYLD]
    #5827954 - 07/06/06 02:53 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Whew, this thread has bounced all over the place. Originally there was discussion on user agreements with Stamets and selling the spawn/cultures you get from him. Here's my two cents. I've read up all over his webpage and his catalog and you abide by a user's agreement when you buy spawn and cultures, not his fruiting blocks. Personally if I wanted something like his Shiitake I'd just buy a block, fruit it and clone the fruits. There is NOTHING that comes with those kits hinting at user agreements, so I wouldn't feel bound to anything.

As for my own experience it comes from his reishi. I ordered some needed lab supplies and got a free packet of 100 reishi plugs with the order. Have I cloned them? Heck yeah. Personally I plan on growing up all the reishi I need, and would give away the culture to anyone who asks. I never signed an agreement to get that free packet.

As for the confusion on patents and copyrights, none of his strains are covered by either of these. Patents would be the best case if he could do it, but you would have to DNA fingerprint your strains (which hasn't been done). Furthermore, even patent coverage is to be inforced strictly by the patent owner, and currently there is no sure way to identify his strains. This is actually considered a problem by some, if one could patent strains there would be more of an incentive to produce very good strains, but currently all one has to do is buy one of your mushrooms at market and they have it.

Pardon the babbling, but I wouldn't be afraid of the dark or Stamet's hunting you down unless you solidly agreed to his user agreements and later broke them. His case is more like a company trade secret than a patent in my opinion, he attempts to police the strains he offers, but can't persue someone who clones from his fruitbodies or grows cultures from their spores.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fungi Perfecti my arse. [Re: phalcon005]
    #5841576 - 07/10/06 07:02 AM (14 years, 29 days ago)

Cloning a mushroom from the store or a kit is not the same as having a culture with a low p value. The mycelium in the kits has been grown out and expanded about as far as it can go. Senescense is already kicking in by the time the kits fruit. Clone an oyster or shiitake from a kit or the grocery store and you'll get poor results. Reishi is perhaps a lone exception due to its vigor and long life in the forest.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa
 User Gallery

Re: Fungi Perfecti my arse. [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #5841898 - 07/10/06 10:18 AM (14 years, 29 days ago)

Its like any other buisness. Supply and demand. He doesn't want to waste his time or spend the money having someone making cultures to only sell them for 20 a peace. You don't need to buy the cultures from him but if you wan't the conveniance you got to pay out the arse.

The mycological department at Penn State offers cultures for 125$ Thats from a univerity no less. http://mushroomspawn.cas.psu.edu/Collection.htm

User Gallery

Re: Fungi Perfecti my arse. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5841911 - 07/10/06 10:24 AM (14 years, 29 days ago)

But taking a clone of a clone then fruiting and isolating spores of that fruit and growing those out solves the problem of a shitty first culture weather old kit grown mushroom or one taken from a supermarket.

Invisiblemicololo2
Stranger

Loc: Qu├ębec, Canada
Re: Fungi Perfecti my arse. [Re: phalcon005]
    #5843199 - 07/10/06 04:33 PM (14 years, 29 days ago)

I've bought in the past (about 5 years ago)in vitro cultures from Stamets, and others from another mycologist (less knowned, he didn't wrote books but got a lot of experience) and I never saw a difference in the yields or in the quality between those two, only in the price, 5 times more expensive. He made his reputation by writing good books and use it to make big money selling at high high price. It works, so ...

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fungi Perfecti my arse. [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #5844026 - 07/10/06 07:49 PM (14 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

Corporal Kielbasa said:
But taking a clone of a clone then fruiting and isolating spores of that fruit and growing those out solves the problem of a shitty first culture weather old kit grown mushroom or one taken from a supermarket.

It does, but you're likely to spend years isolating a good fruiting strain from spores. I have tons of oyster prints, but have never had anywhere near the success with them that I get from cloning wild mushrooms and growing them out. That's what paul and the others do as well. I've never gotten one single fruit of shiitake from spores. Same with portabellos. Keeping viable clones becomes a problem after twenty years or so, no matter how good one is at storing cultures. They degrade and must be replaced with new ones.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

User Gallery

Re: Fungi Perfecti my arse. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5844121 - 07/10/06 08:11 PM (14 years, 29 days ago)

Yeah i agree collecting your own is the way to go. But to bad paddy straw, shiitake, and king oyster dont grow or havn't been found to grow in my area.

Offlineblackmorelman
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Fungi Perfecti my arse. [Re: DERRAYLD]
    #5854429 - 07/13/06 11:48 AM (14 years, 26 days ago)

I think I remember reading something by Stamets personally that said something to the effect of,

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms