Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Boomr Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegeo2001m
Raider Nation
Casing Help
    #1373875 - 03/13/03 07:00 PM (21 years, 20 days ago)

Hi, First of all this is my first try, so far so good, I started my 6 1/2 Pint Jars on the 6th and they are 100%. They are B+, I'm going to wait another week too make sure the insides of the cake is done also. But here is my question, I have a few bags of vermiculite, peat moss. I was going too case with that, do you guys suggest any other material too case with? I kinda wanna do this slow and right. Any suggestions would be great. Also I'll be using pertile at the bottom for humidity inside of a clear rubbermaid case. Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: Casing Help [Re: geo2001m]
    #1373941 - 03/13/03 07:32 PM (21 years, 20 days ago)

IMHO, 1 part peat, 1 part coir, 1 part verm, is the best casing mixure.

Test pH with a pH meter (available @ any garden store from $7 to $20 -- or limus strips) & adjust with hydrated lime (fast, Hoffmans brand --  if you can find it - @ any good garden supply stores).

Then -- add crushed oyster shell, crushed egg shell or limestone grit as a long lasting buffering agent.

Optimal casing pH is right around 7.5.

Raw mix above will be from 4 to 5.5 pH, before adjustment.

You CANNOT test or adjust a pH......................without a METER (or, litmus strips).

Most folks overlook this, get it all wrong & wonder when their casings stall, or side pin.

6T......................................... :wink:

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #1373982 - 03/13/03 08:01 PM (21 years, 20 days ago)

60/40 Verm and Coco Coir.

You don't need to worry about the ph of the casing material.

60/40 tek

good luck!

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinegeo2001m
Raider Nation
Re: Casing Help [Re: Roadkill]
    #1374025 - 03/13/03 08:28 PM (21 years, 20 days ago)

Thanks, I think I'll try both of them, after all its a hobby. I know where too get everything, but crushed oyster shells, Would the crushed oyster shells from a pet store be ok? Or is there a special gardening type?

OfflineShroomadelic1
Pitt Bull King

#1374032 - 03/13/03 08:31 PM (21 years, 20 days ago)

arent photosynthesetic plants the only things affected by small change in the mediums PH? meaning plants are affected by minute PH variences, while fungi need a larger fluxuation in acidity to really affect growth?

--------------------
Yup, thats my dog.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #1374062 - 03/13/03 08:55 PM (21 years, 20 days ago)

LOL........................

As much as I hate to, I have to slightly disagree with RoadKill :blush:.

The coir & verm his foaf uses, may not be the same as what your foaf can acquire & use.

Essentially the pH of vermiculite can be close to neutral but usually because of the presence of associated carbonate compounds, the reaction often is alkaline. As such, the pH of vermiculite does change, and can range from 6 to above 9.5, and the vermiculites from some mines tend to be more neutral while other mines will tend to have higher pH's. Also, depending on how vermiculite is processed (exfoliated or expanded), the pH of the expanded particles can change. After being processed, vermiculite can become more alkaline as it slowly absorbs more atmospheric moisture.

The pH of coir is depenant on its source & how it was processed. It can vary from pH 4 to 7 (search google & you will find the pH of coir from differing sources varies - signicifantly.

Now mix those verm & coir togather & what pH does the resulting mix have? You don't know, do you.

LOL, now I'm going to have watch my as, otherwise I may end up as road/fodder, with a tire tread mark across my ass..................

All in good fun, Roady :tongue:

My foaf has had casing mixes, that wrecked the whole show because the pH was way haywire (he found that out after the fact).

Consiquently, my foaf is a firm believer in testing it, no matter what the content & mix is. Then, adjusting it, to exactly what it should be...............rather than hope it's right.

As for where to find crushed oyster shell. If there are any feed stores in your area. They almost all stock it for chicken scratch.

6T  :tongue:

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #1374064 - 03/13/03 08:55 PM (21 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

Would the crushed oyster shells from a pet store be ok?

Yes that would work fine.

YW

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Anonymous

#1374075 - 03/13/03 09:07 PM (21 years, 20 days ago)

If this is your first casing I personally dont suggest using peat moss. Peat moss is a good way to get contams. And on my coco coir and verm it says the ph balence. But I only have had contams with peat but thats my own expeiriance.

Offlinegeo2001m
Raider Nation
Re: Casing Help [Re: fee]
    #1376220 - 03/14/03 12:34 PM (21 years, 19 days ago)

fee, your right, for my first casing i'll keep it simple, then I will try a more advanced method my 2nd time around. i'll try the 60/40. Also sorry to the board I posted a illegal trade on marketplace, I didnt know what I was looking for was illegal, because i seen some for sale on ebay. But now I know :smile:  Thanks for all your guys help, this is the friendyest (i cant spell) board i ever seen. Peace

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #1376626 - 03/14/03 04:12 PM (21 years, 19 days ago)

I agree with 6T here RK , ph can and does make a difference .
But in general mushies do not mind if you are "slightly" acidic .
Recently did some experiments messing with ph , anything more acidic than a 3 was bad news(lots of green ickies, few mushies) , and if you swing way far into the alkaline side , CATASTROPHE will be the final result . Myc will die off way before it can produce mushies .
PS peat verm works well , contams are not bad , this all depends on how well you prep and handle it IMO . If lazy and do not want to play with ph , it will work just fine by it self (not optimal , but still does trick) . Have not had priveledge of using coir , due to lack of people who carry it in my area , oyster shell works well to alter ph if you desire to do so . Listen to 6T he knows his shit !

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Edited by tripndicular (03/14/03 04:18 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Boomr Bag