Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
The effect of shrooms on depression
    #1825321 - 08/18/03 05:47 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Hi,

I know that mushrooms affect the seratonen and dopamine receptors in the brain, and in that same light, how would this affect chronic depression, which occurs when there is a chemical imbalance of seratonen?

Having suffered depression my entire life, I noticed a remarkable mood stablization after my first trip on Friday.  No erratic mood swings, no constant sadness/depression...is this because of the shrooms? 

Even now, 3 days after my trip I just feel...neutral.  Pretty good emotionally after a few hard weeks of feeling self-destructive, depressed and even suicidal. 

Is there any scientific proof or any evidence that shrooms or other psychedelics can help abolish or battle chronic depression or other mood disorders? 

Any help? 

Thanks guys

-ShadeGirl

:smile:   

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
Re: The effect of shrooms on depression [Re: MOTH]
    #1825325 - 08/18/03 05:53 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I don't think they effect dopamine receptors. But as for your depression, the answer is far from black or white. It would depend on individuals and settings. If used properly and carefully I think it can be a great tool for depression. It helps my OCD.

Invisibleph_plus
Malkawian

Loc: Constantinople
Re: The effect of shrooms on depression [Re: Earth_Droid]
    #1825368 - 08/18/03 06:56 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I agree with Earth_Droid... And it worked the same way for me too... After a few trips and lots of my time spent on cultivation, i'm much better now. My relations with my family, friends, e.t.c. got much better. I don't get angry and pessimist easily any more.... :smile: Actually it helped me to see the things just the way they are and re-organize my priorities. One more happy person on the world.... :grin: But i've seen people getting bad after his/her first trip and some never recovered...  Who knows.... :wink:

--------------------

The word truth...... doesn't make any sense..... As if the word sense...... which isn't the truth.........

Anonymous

Re: The effect of shrooms on depression [Re: Earth_Droid]
    #1825370 - 08/18/03 06:57 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Do you have hard evidence that you were chronically depressed? i dont really know how/if they can test for serotonin levels in yer brain, but i do know that a lot of times depression is misdiagnosed/overdiagnosed. Did you have any realizations that came about while shrooming? I was diagnosed with depression a while back and shroomed not too long ago and it really kicked me out of the "depression" i was suffering from. Mostly i just realized what was making me unhappy and that it was totally in my control to be happy. Shrug, good luck anyway, i dont see how it would hurt every once in a while.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: The effect of shrooms on depression [Re: ]
    #1825382 - 08/18/03 07:09 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I agree that it is largely overdiagnosed in our society, but there was no other reason for me to be so sad all the time.  I lost interest in everything, was so sleepy all the time, just wanted to sleep my life away.  Just sad..the slightest thing could make me start balling.  I was an empty shell of a person.  There was no exterior reason for me to be so depressed, I just was.  Anti-depressants had minor results.  I was first diagnosed with it when I was 15. Around that time is also when I started self-injury and I've been battling with both ever since. 

How I feel right now...I feel like I'm on anti-depressants without any of the horrible side effects that made me stop taking them.  I just feel...'ok' inside, and after feeling such crippling depression for so long its such a relief. 

During the trip, I really did try to delve into my own depression and for self-improvement, and I didn't really come up with anything.  It was still a fantastic experience though.  :smile:

I heard about psilocybin's effects with OCD, and I was wondering if the same could be said for depression.  Speaking for myself, I am thinking that it made a difference in my moods.  I just generally have an elevated mood and feel much, much calmer. 

I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced the same sort of thing. 

-ShadeGirl

:smile: 

Offlinethegoone
ufo spotter
Loc: dublin
    #1825432 - 08/18/03 07:53 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

they used to be used many moons ago for treating many
psychological problems, councelling etc them and acid

--------------------
do at least sixty

but its only my first time

oh yeah do at least eighty

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1825631 - 08/18/03 10:07 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

They are the best anti-depressant on earth bar none. None of the man made anti-depressants with all their side effects even come close.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

Re: The effect of shrooms on depression [Re: Xlea321]
    #1825758 - 08/18/03 11:05 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I'd wait a few more days, I usually get a 3 day afterglow that diminishes soon thereafter.  Not to say I don't think shrooms can help depression, just get back to us with your emotional state a day or two from now.  Glad you feel better  :smile:

--------------------

Offlinedjd586
Underpants Gnome

Re: The effect of shrooms on depression [Re: Noviseer]
    #1825912 - 08/18/03 11:50 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I believe it can work either way as far as depression goes. If you dwell on your depression when you're tripping, you're in for a miserable experience. As long as you keep your mind off your every-day mental state, you should be fine.

A friend of mine suffers from depression and he has a bad trip every time he ingests mushrooms. He goes through the same cycle every time. Eats, the shrooms, starts to feel good, laughs, talks, really enjoys his experience. Then some where right around the peak of his trip he reminds his self how good he feels and how he feels not one bit depressed over things he is usually depressed about. This is the begining of the end for him. He starts to focus on his depression and why he is depress. He enters a negative thought loop. Dwells on the loop for about 20 minutes, then goes into an outright manic depressive episode. Starts to panic and worry. I have to give him a xanax to calm down. By the end of the trip he usually calms down enough to relax and enjoy the remaining portion of his trip.

I refuse to let him trip anymore. I just see it as pointless to watch him put himself through a miserabal experience.

--------------------

Phase 1... collect underpants... phase 2...??? ... Phase 3 - PROFIT!

OfflineBeanPie
6006|3 0//nZ4|| !
Loc: It's legal here...
Re: The effect of shrooms on depression [Re: djd586]
    #1826012 - 08/18/03 12:16 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

This may sound ridiculous but I've had 100% success rate with it. If someone becomes depressed while shrooming...make them watch infomercials. I have no idea why, but they become engrossed in them instantly and often laugh hysterically.

--------------------
Keep your crack and your LSD, I'm snorting something that God gave me....and it smells like LOVE!

Offlinedjd586
Underpants Gnome

Re: The effect of shrooms on depression [Re: BeanPie]
    #1826058 - 08/18/03 12:24 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

lol... you're right about that!

--------------------

Phase 1... collect underpants... phase 2...??? ... Phase 3 - PROFIT!

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: The effect of shrooms on depression [Re: Noviseer]
    #1826154 - 08/18/03 12:42 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Seems to be a permanent cure for depression for me.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Anonymous

Re: The effect of shrooms on depression [Re: Xlea321]
    #1826279 - 08/18/03 01:05 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

ITS ALL IN YER HED

OfflineIni
daughter of theyew- tree

Loc: Switzerland
Re: The effect of shrooms on depression [Re: ]
    #1826976 - 08/18/03 03:39 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

@EllemyshShade

The doctors say, I suffer from so called "endogenous depressions", caused by a disturbance of my serotonine metabolism. I tried many meds, but I didn't like them at all. They just "masked" the depressions. as if they were hidden under a thin foil, but still there.

The shrooms are the only thing that really helps. I still have my episodes of depression, but they only last for months, and not for years, as they did when I thought, I should not eat shrooms when I am depressed.

I allways waited 'til the depression went away, and then I took some shrooms. Once, I forced myself to take them when I was "at the bottom of the hole". And they helped me to get out...

--------------------
Remain in Light
Greez Ini

Offlinewhole9
LOVE ME BITCH

Re: The effect of shrooms on depression [Re: Ini]
    #1827628 - 08/18/03 06:37 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

You do get depressed you just have to find a way yourself through contemplation, and evaluation to get out of it. Thats the beauty of shrooms. They help you work these things out, and into a new ;D

OfflineGorian
Learning the artof Shroom

Re: The effect of shrooms on depression [Re: whole9]
    #1827930 - 08/18/03 08:22 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Well , after my third trip , it through me into depression , it still bothers me sometimes... So in my case , it triggered it

--------------------

Offlinecawils01
Stranger

Re: The effect of shrooms on depression [Re: Gorian]
    #13733261 - 01/05/11 01:10 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

so i've tripped twice before with both being great experiences and i think were both eye opening. i haven't tripped for about a year and a half now though and have wanted to again for quite some time hoping to open my eyes more and make me a better person as i feel it did the last time. recently though i've gone through a rough break up and i'm not sure if this would lead to a bad trip or would help me move on. any thoughts?

OfflineEvolution
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in time and spa...
    #13738997 - 01/06/11 01:09 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Interesting thread!

I made this post so I can find it back later.

--------------------
- Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies - F.W. Nietzche

OfflineLbDub
Male

Re: The effect of shrooms on depression [Re: cawils01]
    #13739325 - 01/06/11 03:25 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

cawils01 said:
any thoughts?

None besides not to bump 7 year old threads.

OfflineLoungeLizard
Stranger
Male

Loc: Israel Flag
    #24821909 - 12/02/17 05:18 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

"Diagnosing Depression" or "Bipolar" is certainly not an exact science. Have the pills I take had a good effect in the past but are not needed anymore? Ask 15 Psyciatric experts and get 18 answers. Anyway my Bipolar after taking "Effexor" {Info: https://www.nami.org/Learn-More/Treatment/Mental-Health-Medications/Venlafaxine-(Effexor)} for 12 years is such: Never a manic stage which is one half of Bipolar and a very rare case of depression, very rare. Actually the only thing I get momentarily down about  (for 20 seconds or less) is that my weight doubled and the meds make me very tired and listless.
In my country marijuana costs more than gold in weight but I had 2 joints about 15 months ago and did so while using "Effexor". The EFFECTS of the joints were much longer than usual, about 6 hours and this was low class weed. (I used to smoke reefer and do LSD a lot about 43-46 years ago so I know.
I plan to take very low doses of Shrooms to start with and build up and compare. I'm assuming that a trip will last longer than for a usual user with the Effexor anti-depressent but don't quote me until I come with more news.
Each soul is different.{ https://www.nami.org/Learn-More/Treatment/Mental-Health-Medications/Venlafaxine-(Effexor) }

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds