Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleStretch
lurker

found a nice patch in my yard, ID please? *pics*
    #1372007 - 03/13/03 07:28 AM (21 years, 21 days ago)

more than likely these aren't psychoactive, they aren't bruising blue at all. Most caps are about the size of a penny, gills are light tan to brown. Growing at the base of a tree here in central Texas.

Anyway, thought it was a cool sight, so I snapped a few pics:

two more pics:
http://host41.hrwebservices.net/~wacostr/temp/drew/yard/P1010057.JPG
http://host41.hrwebservices.net/~wacostr/temp/drew/yard/P1010058.JPG

lata,
D

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecube421
420guy
Loc: TX
Re: found a nice patch in my yard, ID please? *pics* [Re: Stretch]
    #1372109 - 03/13/03 08:02 AM (21 years, 21 days ago)

not a clue on the ID, but nice pics though-

WHere in Central TX are you? I'm 45min from Austin

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: found a nice patch in my yard, ID please? *pics* [Re: cube421]
    #1372147 - 03/13/03 08:13 AM (21 years, 21 days ago)

Coprinus specie most probably. Not active and toxic if ingested with alcohol, don't eat.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1372275 - 03/13/03 08:52 AM (21 years, 21 days ago)

Nice photos.

Those look like Coprinus disseminatus (or Coprinellus disseminatus, by the proposed newer naming method). Technically edible if eaten when very young, but you'd have to get a lot of them and they probably don't have much flavor to them (and ceratinly no substance).

They are pretty, though, and make for some nice photos.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: found a nice patch in my yard, ID please? *pics* [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1372518 - 03/13/03 09:55 AM (21 years, 21 days ago)

Yes, I would have to concur that they are Coprinus disseminatus! :laugh:

Y'know I had to make sure ToxicMan really knew what he was talking about, just in case... :laugh: hehehe yeah right !

InvisibleStretch
lurker

Re: found a nice patch in my yard, ID please? *pics* [Re: angryshroom]
    #1372626 - 03/13/03 10:30 AM (21 years, 21 days ago)

Cool, thanks for the quick replies all! :smile:

cube421, I'm actually in Austin :grin:

thanks again,
D

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #1372936 - 03/13/03 12:18 PM (21 years, 21 days ago)

Ditto.

mj

InvisibleTxTec
Texas home andheart breaker...

#1372989 - 03/13/03 12:39 PM (21 years, 21 days ago)

Do these have a brown center with a grey colouration on the outer parts of the cap...if so they may be Coprinus plicatilis. These grow by the thousands an are referred as death caps sometimes, do not eat these because they look so much like the toxic Coprinus ones. Unless you are a mycologist you wont be abel to tell the differance...also there are a lot of ones that are all grey and only someone like MJ or Angryshroom would know the exact name. Angryshroom is probably right and you have Coprinus Disseminatus which has properties that are close to whats in anabuse..thats why it will make you sick if ingested with alchol...

--------------------
I felt a warm warm breeze that melted metal and steele

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: found a nice patch in my yard, ID please? *pics* [Re: TxTec]
    #1373438 - 03/13/03 03:56 PM (21 years, 21 days ago)

TxTec, there seems to be a little confusion with your names (especially common names). This is the main reason most mycologists avoid common names and stick to the scientific names as much as possible.

Death Cap is most often associated with Amanita phalloides, the mushroom species associated with the most deaths in the world. This is indeed a dangerous mushroom, and one which anybody who picks mushrooms to put in their mouth needs to be able to identify. I have little doubt that in certain locales other mushrooms may also be referred to as Death Caps.

Coprinus plicatilis (perhaps soon to be Parasola plicatilis) is a fairly common mushroom which isn't noticed much due to its small size, plus it's so fragile that it doesn't last long. I am currently unaware of any poisonings due to this species. A search of NAMA records shows that it has not been named in any poisonings in the US. Due to its size and fragility it is unlikely to be eaten by anybody except perhaps an infant in the "grazing" stage (where everything encountered goes into their mouth). Note in the photo the overall translucence of this species, which is one of its distinctive characters.

Coprinus disseminatus is another common species. It is somewhat variable in appearance due to large changes during the rather short life of the fruiting body. As this page states, there are a couple of species it is easy to confuse it with. In fact, Coprinus hiascens is similar enough to be distinguishable only with a microscope. However, a search indicates no listings of Coprinus hiascens in the US, so it is probably safe to say that these specimens are Coprinus disseminatus, since the photos are stated to be from central Texas. As far as toxicity of this species, I can find no listing of any poisonings for it in NAMA records. As with Coprinus plicatilis, it is unlikely to be eaten because of its small size.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion there may be about these species.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleTxTec

Re: found a nice patch in my yard, ID please? *pics* [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1373785 - 03/13/03 06:19 PM (21 years, 21 days ago)

There are two different species here that have been named death caps for years,one grows directlly out of cowfields an the other one is a lawn variety and niether resemble an Amanita at all ....I was hoping that i would get some insite as to what others in the species Coprinus might actually look like because of all the different strains....thanks.

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #1375332 - 03/14/03 07:25 AM (21 years, 20 days ago)

There are no Death Cap shrooms growing in fields. The amanitas have a symbiotic and mycorhizeal relationship with pine and birch and are woody shrooms.

The A. phalloides is the death cap grows in wood mulch and A. virosa grows under hardwoiods near grassy areas east of the Mississippi.

Both are deadly.

The shroom in the pastures which resembles some Amanitas is the Parasol smushroom knonw as Morgan's Lepiota (green gills) and is know botanically as Chlorophyllum Molybdites.

It is the number one shroom accidently consumed in Florida as Psilocybe cubensis, causeing many people to go to emergency rooms for treatment (usually includes a gastric lavish, recovery is always a few days away.

mj

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1375611 - 03/14/03 08:56 AM (21 years, 20 days ago)

Uh, yeah. Death cap refers to Amanita phalloides and a few other green/brown Amanitas. They don't grow in cow fields, they are mycorrhizal, so they will always be growing near trees.

A word of advice: moderators typicaly know what they are talking about. Especially ToxicMan.

InvisibleTxTec

Re: found a nice patch in my yard, ID please? *pics* [Re: Gumby]
    #1376152 - 03/14/03 12:06 PM (21 years, 20 days ago)

Death caps is what the local people have always referred to them as ...thanks MJ,Gumby dude an Toxicman...Im really excited about my hunt tomorrow an am looling forward to posting the pics so yall can help me id them properly...thanks again.. :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1377358 - 03/15/03 02:35 AM (21 years, 19 days ago)

I'm looking forward to the pics :smile: 

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds