Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates, CBD Oils   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesnakemonkey
lockpicker
Male User Gallery

oyster mushroom warning
    #13710490 - 12/31/10 10:22 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

hi guys id just like to point out this is the 2nd time i have suffered from sore eyes runny nose head ake mucas on the throut,extreme cough due to oyster spores fruiting in my bedroom its a shame cos oysters are cheap and fast to grow and taste heavenly but have decided i wont be growing them again,thrown everything away..its a sad day for me but i value my health..:-(

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNiwita
Village Idiot
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Under a Rock
Re: oyster mushroom warning [Re: snakemonkey]
    #13710671 - 12/31/10 11:33 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Grow outdoors: problem solved ->

:snowman:

--------------------
:etbig::etbig::etbig:

InvisibleTangich

Folding@home Statistics
Re: oyster mushroom warning [Re: Niwita]
    #13710698 - 12/31/10 11:46 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I don't know why so many people advise oysters as the best and easiest species for indoor cultivation, they are not, not by a long-shot, they require ludicrous amounts of light and fresh air, and spores can be hazardous to health. But they can be tolerant to very wide temperature range, and obviously belong outside.
King oysters are a whole different story tough. More people should choose them for indoor cultivation, they are just as easy as oysters, require very little light and FAE, and don't have spore loads as bad as other oysters.

OfflineHumility
Working on it
 User Gallery

#13710924 - 12/31/10 12:44 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I've got a grow going on right now.  Everything is still in jars but at the end of January or so I should be starting the logs up and by mid February through the end of February I should have fruits.

I'm planning on doing 8 logs.  Get a respirator and a pair of goggles.  Its cheaper than it sounds, probably 100 bucks in total.  A full-face mask is going to run 200-300ish depending on new vs. used.

The filter elements are usually very cheap to replace, maybe 10 bucks or so.

Make sure you have air coming in and air going out, clean respiration and eye protection and you should be fine m8y.

--------------------

Offlinenexus1946
Rebel
 User Gallery

Loc: In the moment
Re: oyster mushroom warning [Re: Humility]
    #13711178 - 12/31/10 01:54 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

If anything, don't grow them in the bedroom or any room you spend any significant time in.

RR has spoken about this many times as he's developed an allergy to them because of this.

Everything I grow is done indoors without a problem but I don't have my grow room, GH's, or fruiting chambers in my immediate living quarters.

Inhaling any spores can pose a potential health risk. Especially to those with respiratory ailments.

--------------------
Gypsum/Drywall Tek
The Story Of Russell The Texas (Cube) Bear

The human race's prospects of survival were considerably better when we were defenceless against tigers than they are today when we have become defenceless against ourselves.
-Arnold J. Toynbee

OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: The bottom of the sea.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: oyster mushroom warning [Re: nexus1946]
    #13711209 - 12/31/10 02:03 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

nexus1946 said:
If anything, don't grow them in the bedroom or any room you spend any significant time in.

RR has spoken about this many times as he's developed an allergy to them because of this.

Everything I grow is done indoors without a problem but I don't have my grow room, GH's, or fruiting chambers in my immediate living quarters.

Inhaling any spores can pose a potential health risk. Especially to those with respiratory ailments.

I believe the species RR developed his allergy to was P. pulmonarius, which I've heard has especially bad spore loads. Personally I've never had a problem with spores of Blue, Pink or King Oysters.

--------------------
PC's LAGM 2021 (TOC & TWC)
P. natalensis Growlog 2021
Pans for PC Fall 2021 Growlog

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Offlinenexus1946
Rebel
 User Gallery

Loc: In the moment
Re: oyster mushroom warning [Re: PitcherCrab]
    #13711249 - 12/31/10 02:14 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

The only spores I've had an issue with was from Reishi.

The GH was caked in spores and I would choke the moment I opened it.

--------------------
Gypsum/Drywall Tek
The Story Of Russell The Texas (Cube) Bear

The human race's prospects of survival were considerably better when we were defenceless against tigers than they are today when we have become defenceless against ourselves.
-Arnold J. Toynbee

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: oyster mushroom warning [Re: nexus1946] * 1
    #13711272 - 12/31/10 02:21 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

It's all of the oyster family of species I'm now allergic to, from P ostreatus to H ulmarius.  Last summer we had some oysters on straw logs down by the creek, over 100 yards from the house.  When they started dropping spores, I knew it right away.  Next year, we'll have no oysters anywhere.  I don't want to have to wear a respirator.

Besides, they're not nearly as good tasting as shiitake, don't bring shiitake prices, and don't have near the shelf life of shiitake.  They're good in spaghetti, but other than that, they're one of my least favorite species, as far as eating goes.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineHumility
Working on it
 User Gallery

Re: oyster mushroom warning [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #13711354 - 12/31/10 02:48 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

damn, pwnt!

They do have the distinction of being hands down the easiest mushroom to grow though :smile:.  I'll make sure to start investing in other edibles after hearing this from you though.  Probably go with kings and shiitake next spin.

I really want to get a bunch of syringes of Pinks, Blues, goldens, and Pearls and display them all together (along with phoenix, what I'm doing now).  I have a feeling as aesthetically appealing as it'd be, it wouldn't be economically viable unless you were already well established and had a marketfront where that kind of display could draw people to you.

--------------------

Offlinepepper
SawDust Block Junkie
Male User Gallery

Loc: British Columbia Flag
    #13713882 - 01/01/11 05:11 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
It's all of the oyster family of species I'm now allergic to, from P ostreatus to H ulmarius.  Last summer we had some oysters on straw logs down by the creek, over 100 yards from the house.  When they started dropping spores, I knew it right away.  Next year, we'll have no oysters anywhere.  I don't want to have to wear a respirator.

Besides, they're not nearly as good tasting as shiitake, don't bring shiitake prices, and don't have near the shelf life of shiitake.  They're good in spaghetti, but other than that, they're one of my least favorite species, as far as eating goes.
RR

So did it take a couple years working with Oyster mushrooms to become allergic or was it right away?
I was wondering who else has problems with this strain? Please chime in. Thanks.:undecided:

--------------------

Trade list    OR    :pm:<-------

Offlineneriwa
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #13713904 - 01/01/11 05:40 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I completely disagree with you roger, I think the oyster mushrooms are better tasting, and a better texture than shiitake.  Even my vegetarian wife agrees.  My family who usually do not eat mushrooms, love when I cook them oysters.  I've found that people who do not like mushrooms will munch on well cook oysters all day long.

And the restaurants thought I was crazy asking for more money for my shiitakes.  I dont see a price difference at all in the southeast.

Offlineneriwa
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #13713925 - 01/01/11 05:52 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Offlinesnakemonkey
lockpicker
Male User Gallery

Re: oyster mushroom warning [Re: neriwa]
    #13714100 - 01/01/11 09:39 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Happy new year year to everyone must agre with neriwa that i find oysters very tastey combined with shiitake cooked with left over white wine think i will wait a couple of months til the temps are better out doors ie between 10 to 15 at the moment only 6 in the uk.These 2 blocks are on there 2nd flush after nearly 2 lbs of fresh shiitake,36 hours soak in cold water then back into my mini green house.

Offlinesnakemonkey
lockpicker
Male User Gallery

#13714124 - 01/01/11 09:56 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

the block on the right is made from 50/50 hardwood and straw one on left is 3rd hardwood/softwood pellets/straw and 10% bran as you can see due to the straw and bran ratio well over suplimented i have shiitake growing on shiitake the 2nd flush should be fine..:-)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: oyster mushroom warning [Re: pepper]
    #13714311 - 01/01/11 11:43 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

pepper said:
So did it take a couple years working with Oyster mushrooms to become allergic or was it right away?

It took about six months of having them in my bedroom daily to get the allergy.  I had grown them for at least a decade before that, but in a separate area where I only got exposed when tending them.  However, once the allergy developed, I can't even go into a grow room for two minutes if there's an oyster spore load there.

Snakemonky, those are a bit past prime.  It's best to pick shiitake while the edges of the caps are still curled down.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinepskept

Male User Gallery

Loc: /home/pskept
    #13716785 - 01/01/11 10:38 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

would you say this concern exists even for the small oyster kits?

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Valleys of Willamette Flag
Re: oyster mushroom warning [Re: pskept]
    #13716920 - 01/01/11 11:12 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I'm curious too, I've got a couple oyster bags going in my bedrooms greenhouse right now, nothing largescale, just enough for me to eat every week or so...

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: oyster mushroom warning [Re: Maverick]
    #13717172 - 01/02/11 12:30 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

You'll be fine for a few months at least.  It takes time for our bodies to develop the allergy.

If you get a sore throat, migraine headache from hell, fever, and general flu symptoms, you'll know to stay away from them in the future.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

InvisibleChad1
Stranger
Male
Loc: USA
    #13724567 - 01/03/11 02:07 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Im growing king oysters in my bedroom as well. Can you pick them before they drop alot of spores?

Offlinekelfio
adventure farmer
Female User Gallery

Loc: appalachia
Re: oyster mushroom warning [Re: Chad1]
    #13724807 - 01/03/11 03:11 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I've been growing blue and pearl oysters for about a month and a half now, and for some reason, mine are NOT dropping spores.
I've got a thread on the particularities of my grow (I think it's something like "my oyster grow" or something equally original!) so if you'd like the details, check it out.

Suffice to say, I have left the oysters on my straw logs until the rot, just to experiment and see if they will sporulate, and they continuously have not.
If there's something special about my method, I'd love to figure it out, because growing oysters without the hassle of spores could change everything for a lot of people. :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates, CBD Oils   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains