Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleShot.In.Orbit
Stranger Danger!
Male

I want to grow Buttons/Portabella Mushrooms...
    #13717156 - 01/01/11 10:26 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I just ran a bunch of different searches here in the shroomery but have yielded really NOTHING as in teks on growing some Agaricus bitorquis: Warm Weather Button I got from the sporeworks. Anyone got a links? or some advise... or just simple some growth perimeters?

Advise is more than welcome:

Thank you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShot.In.Orbit
Stranger Danger!
Male

Re: I want to grow Buttons/Portabella Mushrooms... [Re: Shot.In.Orbit]
    #13717329 - 01/01/11 11:13 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Just read through TMC and didn't find much... Damn it!!!

InvisibleMonkeyKnifeFight
Stranger
 User Gallery

#13717433 - 01/01/11 11:40 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

There's quite a bit of information on button cultivation.  Might start here:

http://www.americanmushroom.org/agaricus.pdf

InvisibleShot.In.Orbit
Stranger Danger!
Male

Re: I want to grow Buttons/Portabella Mushrooms... [Re: MonkeyKnifeFight]
    #13717484 - 01/01/11 11:57 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks *reading* that now.

Offlineweedhopper
researcher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #13718376 - 01/02/11 09:03 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I was searching the same thing yesterday.  After reading through that article I think Ill place an order and do a couple wbs jars to see how they colonize.  I'm just not sure on the substrate.  I guess I've some experimenting to do.  Good luck Shot in Orbit.

InvisibleShot.In.Orbit
Stranger Danger!
Male

Re: I want to grow Buttons/Portabella Mushrooms... [Re: weedhopper]
    #13718809 - 01/02/11 11:27 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah I guess I have some experiments as well... I was think WBS... and the write up for it on The Sporeworks. Says manure and or straw. so I guess I will start there... I guess I will try the same spawning and fruiting conditions ad Ps. Cubes.... Maybe I will get results?

What was you planing on doing so we maybe able to exchange Idea... and Debunk each others Methods or give each other good methods... I plan on writing a Fucking tek  once i figure this out so no one else has to be a frustrated on this as I am...

Offlineweedhopper
researcher
Male User Gallery

#13718889 - 01/02/11 11:49 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I think the same as you right now.  Just try to grow like cubes first.  I will try a couple tubs with the Coir/Verm like Damion5050.  Works good with cubes.  Also I was going to buy a bag of compost/manure or something and pasturize it and make a couple of tubs to see what happens. 

I'm going to order a syringe from Sporeworks right now.  Should be here by the end of the week. 

Yeah, lets keep in touch to see what works and make a tek for these.

InvisibleTangich

Folding@home Statistics
    #13718923 - 01/02/11 11:57 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Portabellas are not so easy for indoor cultivation... They require microorganisms in casing soil to succesfully  fruit, although they will produce a few fruits even with pasteurized casing. As for the substrate, only compost will work, maybe pasteurized straw/horse manure, coir definitely won't. I think you'd have better luck trying to grow them outdoors.
Also, maybe you should consider Agaricus blazei, it has similar growth parameters, better taste and is an awesome medicinal mushroom.
My suggestion would be, LC to WBS/rye, spawn that to a rich compost mixture in trays, when it's fully colonized case with soil and put outside (when the temperatures are right), I believe that would produce best results.

InvisibleShot.In.Orbit
Stranger Danger!
Male

Re: I want to grow Buttons/Portabella Mushrooms... [Re: Tangich]
    #13719959 - 01/02/11 03:36 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Tangich said:
Portabellas are not so easy for indoor cultivation...

Well weedhopper and I are gonna try :smile:

I start where the last man left off.
Thomas A. Edison

Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration.
Thomas A. Edison

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.
Thomas A. Edison

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
Thomas A. Edison

Quote:

Tangich said:
They require microorganisms in casing soil to succesfully  fruit

Do you think MGMC casing would be a better alternative

So spawn to Straw/Manure and case with MGMC? Sound good?

Quote:

Tangich said:although they will produce a few fruits even with pasteurized casing. As for the substrate, only compost will work, maybe pasteurized straw/horse manure, coir definitely won't

Thanks for the Info! I will certainly will not use coir.

Quote:

Tangich said:I think you'd have better luck trying to grow them outdoors.

Yeah, But I want to attempt indoor cultivation...

Quote:

Tangich said: Also, maybe you should consider Agaricus blazei

Do you know how well this species grow indoor? Agaricus bitorquis

Quote:

Tangich said:My suggestion would be, LC to WBS/rye, spawn that to a rich compost mixture in trays, when it's fully colonized case with soil

That is exactally what I will be doing. Except I won't be putting them out side I will be putting them in the Fruiting Chamber... Anyone know what temp and humidity they Fruit at best? temp says: 75-77F what about humidity the normal 90+%?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

weedhopper: this is what I got from Sporeworks.

Agaricus bitorquis : Warm Weather Button, Tork Culture Syringe

Cultivation Difficulty: Moderate
Type: Edible
Substrate: Manure and straw based composts
Colonization/Fruiting Temperatures: 84-86F/75-77F
Agaricus bitorquis is essentially a warm temperature version of the well known common white button mushroom (Agaricus bisporus). Torks are denser, stronger in flavor, higher in disease resistance and less sensitive to high CO2 levels than the button mushroom. These traits make this species more suitable for the home grower, especially in warm climates. Like most agaricus, the Tork needs a non-sterile casing layer for optimum fruiting. But we have observed spontaneous fruitings in unopened jars of grain spawn that have been overincubated. It is unknown if unseen contaminates stimulated the fruiting or if this species can fruit in a sterile environment.

This species can be grown to maturity as a white Portabella or harvested young as a firm button. The mushrooms are very tasty, especially for those that might desire a more flavorful version of the white button mushroom. This is by far the easiest and most forgiving Agaricus species for the home grower that we have tested. Highly recommended.

Edited by Shot.In.Orbit (01/02/11 03:40 PM)

InvisibleShot.In.Orbit
Stranger Danger!
Male

#13719968 - 01/02/11 03:38 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

weedhopper said:I'm going to order a syringe from Sporeworks right now.  Should be here by the end of the week. 

Yeah, lets keep in touch to see what works and make a tek for these.

Let me know when you get you syringe... I am going to start cleaning and soaking my WBS now...

InvisibleTangich

Folding@home Statistics
    #13720221 - 01/02/11 04:19 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I'm also interested in how this turns out! Not many people grow Agaricus, I've seen some indoor blazei grows, but nothing else. I'll also try to grow them if I can get my hands on the culture.
Agaricus species usually prefer composted substrates, in nature they will never grow straight from horse manure, but either forest-debris compost, or on pastures. Maybe try adding some worm castings or compost to your substrate.
And for the casing, I'd suggest you get garden soil, from outside, not from the bag, add some vermiculite and pasteurize. But you'll have to be very careful with contaminates.
But as I said, I've never grown them, maybe someone has better suggestions.

InvisiblePeterthinks
(Caulking) gun for hire

#13720436 - 01/02/11 04:48 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

It's always interested me too but I draw the line at messing with crap and compost.
I'm straining my relationship enough without an over full of manure.

Keep us posted, still interested but in an outdoor way, Portabellos are one of my favorites.

--------------------
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
NEWB NEWBIE NEWCOMER IGNORANT? QUESTIONS?
Click HERE HERE HERE HERE For detailed instructions with pictures on how to grow mushrooms. There is a lot of info on the Shroomery and this is what you need to know.

Offlineweedhopper
researcher
Male User Gallery

#13720439 - 01/02/11 04:48 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Hey Orbit, I have ordered the same as you.  Agaricus bitorquis : Warm Weather Button, Tork Culture Syringe.  I will let you know when it arrives.

This should hopefully turn out interesting.  The way I see it,  if all indoor attempts fail,  spring is only a few months away and outdoor attempts can be started.  I just plan on shooting a couple jars and doing g2g with them and keeping the culture syringe as a back up.

Thanks for advice Tangich.  We need all the help we can get.

InvisibleShot.In.Orbit
Stranger Danger!
Male

#13720684 - 01/02/11 05:26 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I wonder if anyone who has attempted growing this specie (Agaricus bitorquis : Warm Weather Button, Tork) could chime in here... Someone has done it... Someone from sporeworks probally has I sent Workman a PM but have not heard back so I started this thread. Maybe RR has some info I know he cultivates a lot of edibles

Edited by Shot.In.Orbit (01/02/11 05:28 PM)

InvisibleShot.In.Orbit
Stranger Danger!
Male

#13720747 - 01/02/11 05:34 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Tangich said:
I'm also interested in how this turns out! Not many people grow Agaricus, I've seen some indoor blazei grows, but nothing else. I'll also try to grow them if I can get my hands on the culture.

I will send you a culture if or when I get a LC going (need more magnetic stir bars... I am anal I wont use a nail... LOL) I will stay in touch and come back to this post until I can make a fucking tek. I am so frustrated no one, and I can not find any real info on growing them indoor for the home mycologist.... So the more that jump on this and try it with me the better right? the quicker we will be a fucking tek out there for people to grow them. Because I am quite pissed off about this really... I got it in a Christmas grab bag. and I was like hell yeah! i'm going to grow some buttons and make me a mother fucking pizza when i am done. come to find out. No one has any real information out there for me and I cannot find any...

And I want a Pizza...

InvisibleMonkeyKnifeFight
Stranger
 User Gallery

#13721167 - 01/02/11 06:34 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Not sure why you're so pissed off.  The article I linked above has detailed information in every step of agaricus cultivation.  It may be aimed at large scale cultivation but the concepts remain the same.  What specific information are you missing?  I'm giving these guys a try myself.  I just started a bunch of plates with some samples cloned from the store.  My plan is to get some compost cooking while I see if my cultures work out.  I have a bunch of worm compost bins but vermicompost doesn't work too well for mushroom cultivation in my experience.  I started a traditional compost bin today with a bunch of straw, kitchen scraps, and spent sawdust blocks from other grows.  I'm stoked to see if I can make compost with spent blocks of other species to then use for agaricus.  I don't really fruit any of my grows indoors so I imagine I'll end up trying these outside too.  If my cultures work out then it's only a matter of time before I figure something out that works.

I don't think it's going to be as simple as dunking and rolling a cake but that doesn't mean it's not doable.  There are a bunch of reasons most people don't grow them around here.  They are widely available, there's basically no entry point for smaller cultivators to get into the market.  They are also underrated (in my opinion) taste wise and more of a pain to grow than other species.

InvisibleShot.In.Orbit
Stranger Danger!
Male

Re: I want to grow Buttons/Portabella Mushrooms... [Re: MonkeyKnifeFight]
    #13721359 - 01/02/11 07:04 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Pissed off is a bad call on my part maybe just disappointed that buttons are ignored like they are and there is no real tek or grow journal on them for the hobby cultivator I know the one you sent me can be tweaked and I am glad I was able to read it...Thanks I am sure it will be helpful. But I was hoping someone had a indoor grow/small scale journal or something because going from industrial to super small scale (i.e. tons of sub to a couple pounds) alot can go wrong... Just disappointed I would say. Button mushrooms are awesome! Pizza wouldn't be the same without them.

-soaking my WBS as we speak can't wait to inject my Button LC. I hope I am successful. So I can enjoy some fruits of my labor... growing mushrooms is fun.

Edited by Shot.In.Orbit (01/02/11 07:08 PM)

Offlineweedhopper
researcher
Male User Gallery

#13721458 - 01/02/11 07:21 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Hey thanks for the link earlier Monkey,  It does explain the process.  I think what we were looking for is someone to give a simple step by step tek though. 

Like "Mix ingredients A, B, and C,  add spawn,  wait 10 days to colonize,  introduce to specific fruiting conditions".

So anyway, sounds like some experimentation is going to happen. 

Anyway,  I did find this on ebay today.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Grow-Your-Own-Portabella-Mushroom-Kit-Complete-easy-/220716439553?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3363b99801

InvisibleShot.In.Orbit
Stranger Danger!
Male

#13721759 - 01/02/11 08:11 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Reverse engineer the damn thing? hmmm... I will certainly remember that kit if my attempts fail. I will look back to that...

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Valleys of Willamette Flag
    #13721760 - 01/02/11 08:12 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I've actually been interested in growing Agaricus Augustus, supposedly they fruit under very similar conditions. :o

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom