Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: US of A
Comments on 9er tek after my last grow...
    #1371629 - 03/13/03 07:08 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Well, a couple weeks after my first grow, I personally have some experience with the 9er tek. I used cooked brown rice as the substrate medium, with a layer of perlite as a contam barrier, using 1/2 pint jars and the PF strain. In my opinion, the tek DOES work, but there are a few problems I encountered:

1. Long colonization time - Took about a month for most of my jars to colonize, although some were colonized in about 3 weeks.

2. Even when the jars are "supposedly" fully colonized, and the entire surface of the cake has a nice white layer over it, you should probably let it stay in the jars for another two weeks. This is because I found out that the mycacelium has a somewhat hard time breaking down the rice, basically, it'll worm its way through the spaces between the cooked rice, but it'll take a long time to break down the actual rice grains. You would find that it is easy to break the cakes apart, because the mycacelium network isn't very strong, and there are large chunks of uncolonized rice grains inside the cake itself.

3. Because the rice grains inside are hard to colonize, if one births their cakes a little early, they'll find that pins and shrooms will start to grow, but they will abort. I know this may be due to me growing the PF strain which is notorius for aborts, but I had several fruits that would grow to one to three inches in length, and stop growing. I believe that this is due to the fact that the mushrooms grow faster than the mycacelium network can provide nutrients to the growing fruits, because of the difficulty to break down the rice. So I hypothesize that the shrooms are growing faster than the mycacelium can provide food for them, and they eventually abort.

4. Because the cakes weren't fully colonized throughout the cake, they are more prone to contams. In the end, green mold destroyed the 8 cakes I had growing in my terrarium. I managed to salvage one by cutting it in half and peroxiding it, and one was pretty well colonized and never contamed, but the rest seemed to be infected from the bottom where they were laying on perlite.

*** One good thing to note, using a perlite contam barrier at the top of my jars works just as well as vermiculite, I didn't have any jars get contams from innoculation.

I ended up making tea out of the cakes after cutting off all the mold. Unfortunatelly, I left the tea in the fridge for about 4 days before taking it, and it turned a sort of blue/black from oxidation. If you're going to make tea, and not drink it immediately, freeze it!!! The batch that I gave to a freind that I froze fared much better than the tea I drank. It just tasted nasty and didn't do anything for me. To sum it up, the 9er tek does work, but I'd let your cakes colonize at least a week or two longer invitro. I in my newb haste decided that once they were fully covered that it was time to birth. Let them colonized longer in the jars, and you won't regret it. Just my 2 cents.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator

Loc: Canada
Re: Comments on 9er tek after my last grow... [Re: biglo]
    #1374396 - 03/14/03 03:18 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

The squirl living in my neighbours attic just told a babblefish that he just started 9er (I can hear his pc going). Someone with experience using 9er tek please comment.

tanstaafl (or maybe there is)

Re: Comments on 9er tek after my last grow... [Re: biglo]
    #8342433 - 04/29/08 05:28 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

in regards to your 9er tek try, i my have some important tips on why you may have been encountering problems. Let me first start by saying that i have no idea how perlite works as a barrier, i have used verm with much success and even no barrier with much success.

my guess is the main reason for the slow colonization would be one of two things...
1- water content, make sure that you cut the water to rice ratio down from the directions on the bag, as per 9er Tek, to 1.5 cups of water to 1 cup dry rice. i have also heard of some going to a straight 1:1 ratio. 1.5:1 ratio tends to build up a little condensation on the inside of the jars, but that i think depends on your lids, which brings me to the second reason for slow colonization.
2-Air exchange. i have found it to be troublesome to do the 9er tek using the ball jar lids with holes poked in them. if you plan on trying it this way i would highly recommend 1:1 ratio of water to rice. i on the other hand use nothing but a square of tyvek and the ring to screw it onto the jar with. tyvek is terrific! if you do not have any go to the hardware store and buy a tyvek jump suite for $10, it'll last a long time. a full tyvek lid really helps to cut down on condensation and allows a ton of air in and out for rapid growth.

i follow the 9er Tek as written except for the lids and the barrier. i use no barrier at all with the tyvek lids. fill the jar up to within an inch of the top, just like if you were going to use a barrier then cover with tyvek and pc. this allows you to puncture the tyvek in the center and move the needle in a circular pattern inside the jar while injecting liquid culture. then cover hole with small piece of tape. make sure you do not over do it when injecting, but just enough to trickle down to the bottom in the center. following these steps my 1 pint jars go from start to fully colonized in about 2.5 weeks. which brings me too the last area, which is full colonization.
if you inject mainly into the center of the jar the inside of the cake will colonize first thus strengthening until the outside is colonized at which point the cake should stay together very well and by the time the last grain of rice on the outside colonizes there should be no grains for contaminants to get a foot hold on. leave in an extra week if your not sure, it'll just ensure a stronger mycelial network. AND MAKE SURE TO LEAVE FULLY COVERED FROM LIGHT UNTIL DONE! exposing the jars to light will cause in-vitro growing. and when misting use peroxide mixture.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation