Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Calea Zacatechichi, Papaver Somniferum, Peat, Psychotria Viridis, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblematts
matts

#1369750 - 03/12/03 04:26 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Re: planting ethnos [Re: matts]
    #1371558 - 03/13/03 06:46 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Wow matts, that's quite a starting collection...

>>Acacia maidenii
Anadenanthera colubrina

Soil, throw some lime in, but i'd reccomend sprouting indoors and transplanting outside. Don't forget to use some pea innoculants.

>>Argemone mexicana

Likes light soil, but does well in almost any as long as it's given full sun. Plant them where you want them and don't move them, unless you have small peat pots.

>>Argyreia nervosa

See some of Entheo's and Salvia_E's posts, they've got a good handle and no need to repeat what they've done here.

>>Artemisia absinthium
Like sandy well drained poor soil, in a sunny location. Sow them in flats very near to the surface and water with an atomizer or some other way avoiding disturbing the seeds. then transplant when big enough

>>Atropa belladonna
Some threads here about it, cept i think they've resulted as an off-topic deviation of another.
Again sow the seeds shallowly inside in flats. Give it Well drained and well limed soil in full sun or part shade.

>>Brugmansia spp. (tree daturas)
Do you already have a specimen you're going to plant outside?

Young plants should be watered frequently until they're quite large, like if you wanted to keep them in tubs (like that large). If you're planting from seed, bottom heat helps speed up germination time.
Soil: Rich well drained soil. In the summer water them once a week with liquid fertilizer, and allow a large root system. If you're by the beach you might get a lot of sea wind, they don't like it. Shelter them from wind, especially harsh corosive sea wind.

I'll post again to break this up a little..

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Re: planting ethnos [Re: matts]
    #1371657 - 03/13/03 07:15 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Okay to continue with my post, the only big thing so far for the beach is your Tree Daturas, they don't like wind very much.

Okay to continue:

>>Calea zacatechichi
Pretty hardy plant, you can plant in a base of potting soil or in general soil, mix some sand though. In your area don't worry about freezing. I'd be slightly weary of harsh corrosive sea wind with this one.

>>Herbaceous Daturas
Datura innoxia/Datura stramonium:
Since you're in florida, plant them where you want them to be outside, They'll grow quick from tuber like rotting system (like a potato).
Give them sandy soil that is pretty loose (ie. airated). Don't worry about overwintering them in the winter, they're fine where they are in your zone.

>>Desmanthus illinoensis
Follow the same for Anandathera Clumbrina and Acacia growing. It works pretty much the same

>>Heimia salicifola
It thrives in moist soil. You can grow this from seed in a snap. If from seed: you want to plant this when the weather is in te 70s or so, once spring is well underway. Sow them in rows 2 -3 feet apart, keep the bed moist till they sprout, which will be relatively fast. You can put them in flats indoors if you wish and moved outside on a relatively cool/cold day.
Watch out for potato pests and mildewing/damping off like tomatoes (Grubber, 1991).

>>Morning Glories:
Ipomoea tuberosa
Ipomoea violacea

Entheo spoke of those, just to add they thrive in shit soil and do poorly in good soil.

>>Papaver somniferum
Argemone Mexicana growth is just like this or this is just like argemone mexicana.

>>Peganum harmala
Give it dry sandy soil with some organics in it, but not much.

To propagate by seed, viability is usually not that great but it works. Sow in flats of half sand/soil. Water very little at first letting the soil dry out again before watering again.
There is some controversey regarding growht outdoors. Saying they should be grown as potted plants for the first year and brought outside during the second and then left year round. I'm not sure since i don't live in the south and don't have the luxury to try it. But i'd try to keep some indoors and try some outdoors right from the start and see how it goes (heh keep us updated if you try).

>>Psychotria viridis
Willing to trade some seeds heh? I really want some.
Anyway, i'm not too familiar with germinating seeds of this, but here's what i've got in some books laying around here.

Soak the shit out of them. Like 10 minutes to 20 minutes in a mild bleach solution to sterilize husks.

Soak in some normal water left to stand to allow Cl2 to come out of solution, or unless you have well water don't worry. Do this for half a day.

Sow in normal potting soil about a quarter inch deep inside of a flat with a top. Keep temps near the 80s and just wait and see, it takes some time. I don't remember how long and it's not specifying here in this book. Perhaps someone can reply with an answer?

>>Sophora secundiflora
Mescal beans will grow well in your area.
Start by nicking and soaking them, then planting, they like soil on the dry side with hot full sun and a pretty basic pH soil, (add lots of lime!). When it blooms you can give it more water than normal.

and last but not least

>>Voacanga africana
Again well drained and some sandy soil. The seeds take forever to germinate from what i've read and heard from others. You won't get them outside or sprouted this summer. Perhaps start them in November this year and they'll be ready for outside, keep them warm and moist in a covered flat. Near 80 degrees.

Good luck!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Calea Zacatechichi, Papaver Somniferum, Peat, Psychotria Viridis, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden