Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLoverofEarth
spirit on ajourney

Loc: the in-between
proper watering
    #1369407 - 03/12/03 02:42 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

i think my overwatering is to blame for several sprouts keeling over. They just go limp and fall over and die. How can you know how much to water if you can't see the deep dirt?! You can't!! ahhhhh.. any suggestions? I keeled like all my sunflowers, it was definitely overwatering/transplant shock.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSalviaEngland
Omnipresence

Loc: Alternate Dimensions
Re: proper watering [Re: LoverofEarth]
    #1371170 - 03/13/03 01:38 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

With bottom watering it is very easy to over water.... If you leave the plants sitting in water the roots will start to rot (unless they are bog plants). If the plants and soil suck up all the water and its not left sitting in the pot or tray you have not over watered. If it sits there and is not sucked up then they are over watered.

You could include a drainage layer in all your pots. You could use gravel or perlite. Water until saturated and allow water to drain freely. Without a drainage layer soil can clog your drainage holes.

Another option would be use a reservoir system. You can buy pots with these systems built in. water sits in a reservoir and is sucked up to the soil and plant as needed, no roots sit in the reservoir so they don?t rot.

Also make sure you soil does not hold too much moisture if you plants prefer drier conditions. Add sand and perlite for plants, which prefer drier conditions. For plants which like more moist conditions vermiculite will help a gradual supply of water and feed.

I like to water my plants little and often. Water when ever the soil looks dry.

--------------------

Cactus

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden