Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBirdman
If you catch onfire, do notrun!

ok...here is where I draw the line
    #1369049 - 03/12/03 12:24 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

In the past I have made some excuses not to throw away my casing. (ie...the contam was very small, it was only suface deep, I sprayed with h2o2). But this time I think I hit the jack pot! Take a look...

ok...in the red circle we have a rust color contam. It is about 3/8" diameter directly in the middle of the cake. In the blue cirlce we have a brown contam. And in the green circle we have a black contam.

A view from the top: Again, a round rust color contam directly in the middle of the casing (red circle), and a brown contam in the blue circle. (there is also a touch of the black showing in the green circle).

Damn thats a lot of contam. I threw away a bunch of healty looking shrooms from this casing and threw out the casing. I just noticed the contam today when I took it out of it cup. I couldn't even begin to think of an excuse to keep this on (or its flush). Maybe I should start to grow contams...

What could have caused so many diff types of contam?

ps-I just previewed the post and I see that you can't see my outline of the contams very well. If you click on the pics it make it A BIT better. Sorry for the blury pics.

--------------------
"Livin' a Juggalo's life"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineKrasHnBurnZ
enthusiast

Loc: USA
Re: ok...here is where I draw the line [Re: Birdman]
    #1369090 - 03/12/03 12:34 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I cant beleive your touching that nasty shit with your hands. I dont care how good Anti-Bacterial soap works. That would make me very perenoid to touch that stuff, then go eat lunch later, even if i washed my hands in between. Just my 2 Centz. Peace

OfflineNirvana
ScentlessApprentice

#1369093 - 03/12/03 12:35 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Send your contaminations to me everyone, I'll happilly munch them up so long as the're free!
I don't know what would have caused that Birdman, I'm an inexperienced mushroomerian.

--------------------
====* I Made My Avatar *====

OfflineBirdman

Re: ok...here is where I draw the line [Re: Nirvana]
    #1369122 - 03/12/03 12:45 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Wow...yea I think that is a bit on the paranoid side! Don't you think if some microscopic spores could get me sick or even kill me people would be dying regularly of shit like this. Not even people into mushrooms, just everyday people using the damn subway or an escalator in the mall. I think it would take much more than touching the cake and eating lunch to get me sick.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #1369208 - 03/12/03 01:21 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Wow...yea I think that is a bit on the paranoid side!

Better safe than sick or dead.

Quote:

Don't you think if some microscopic spores could get me sick or even kill me people would be dying regularly of shit like this.

They do. One of the leading causes of death in hospitals is infection.

Quote:

I think it would take much more than touching the cake and eating lunch to get me sick.

It depends on your health and what you are touching. You are holding in your hand a living organism that is dropping billions upon billions of spores into your immediate area. Unlike the subway, these spores are thick in the air... they haven't had time to diffuse and dilute. Many types of contamination love nice warm dark wet areas to grow, such as your lungs. When you inhale these spores, your body goes into action and starts to rid itself of them. If you inhale more than your body can get rid of you get sick. Usually something like pneumonia or meningitis.

What are the chances of this happening? Not very. Does it happen? Yes. Has it happened to somebody on the shroomery? Yes. If you want to take the risk, go ahead. Telling others that there is no danger is simply irresponsible.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineBirdman

Re: ok...here is where I draw the line [Re: Seuss]
    #1369349 - 03/12/03 02:17 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I agree! I would never tell anyone there is no danger! If you misread what I was saying I appologize for my illcomunication. Like you said the chances are very slim. I guess the point I was trying to get across was spores like these exist in your house by the billions, thats why your cakes or casings become infected with them. I also agree that the concentration of these spores is greater when on an effected casing. But I still think that holding the casing (maybe even touching the contam) is no worse than finding it in your terrarium. I didn't by any means rub the contam on me then lick my fingers but I don't think that being near or holding the casing then eating lunch 4 hours later (washing hands in between) puts you in any danger. And YES, I could be wrong, I am by no means an expert. I do not think there is no danger in contams. But I do THINK that being near contams does not put you in GRAVE danger.

--------------------

Offlineodinssun
letmehearthemusic

Loc: Canada
    #1369644 - 03/12/03 03:56 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

If I see a contam I promptly put unopened jar in a tub of iso-propyl alchohol to soak for atleast a day. I by no means open the jar until left to soak that is just a bad idea
:shocked: 

--------------------
This is all a work of fiction everything I type is fiction. I in no way have made any true statements
this is all a work of my mind

OfflineBirdman

Re: ok...here is where I draw the line [Re: odinssun]
    #1369665 - 03/12/03 04:00 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

So you soak the outside of the jar...? Once you let it "soak" for a while what do you do with the contams inside? What is the purpose of soaking the outside of the jar? Do you expose the subsrate and contams to the alchohol? Thanks...

--------------------

Offlinedr4g0n
sleeps withdragons

#1372905 - 03/13/03 02:09 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

fuck, i opened a contamed jar once and inhaled a whiff of air to smell it. oops. ill remember to trust my vision next time.

--------------------
Talk to my Aol Instant messenger robot, screen name YakSpuiT
http://www.canivour.net/~yakspuit/

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #1375790 - 03/14/03 12:01 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

When I talk about soaking a contaminated jar in bleach solution before opening I mean the following:

1) Fill the sink about half full of hot water
2) Add a cup or two of bleach
3) Drop the jars into the water so they sink to the bottom and are 100% covered
4) avoid any air bubbles that start to come out of the jars
5) wait a few hours
6) Open the jars under water and empty everything out into a garbage bag (be careful you don't clog up your plumbing)

The idea is to bleach everything to death underwater so that the spores don't become airborne. The bubbles coming out of the jars can still be filled with nasties so be careful. A PC for 15-30 minutes at 121C is even better, but the bleach soak will do.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #1375791 - 03/14/03 12:01 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

When I talk about soaking a contaminated jar in bleach solution before opening I mean the following:

1) Fill the sink about half full of hot water
2) Add a cup or two of bleach
3) Drop the jars into the water so they sink to the bottom and are 100% covered
4) avoid any air bubbles that start to come out of the jars
5) wait a few hours
6) Open the jars under water and empty everything out into a garbage bag (be careful you don't clog up your plumbing)

The idea is to bleach everything to death underwater so that the spores don't become airborne. The bubbles coming out of the jars can still be filled with nasties so be careful. A PC for 15-30 minutes at 121C is even better, but the bleach soak will do.

--------------------

OfflineBirdman

Re: ok...here is where I draw the line [Re: Seuss]
    #1375944 - 03/14/03 12:55 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Yea...thats a good idea. I might start doing something like that soon to keep my work area clean. Thanks for the idea.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum