Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFaunaphile

Loc: Central Coast, CA
Psilocybe cyanescens in Santa Barbara...again.
    #13687807 - 12/26/10 06:52 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Here in Santa Barbara for the holidays, of course itching to go out looking for mushrooms, especially since my find on the 17th of this month of cyanofriscosa's near the coast.  Multiple holiday events with various family factions, and some rain, has kept me indoors for the last three days.  This morning I parked on the street and walked into my Dad's condo, and saw several unidentified non-active species in the bark planters.  When I returned to the car to fetch my daughter's new rollerskates, I found Psilocybe cyanescens in a small patch, few older shrooms and several pins.  After looking around for about 10 minutes I found several patches in different planters, totalling several hundred mushrooms.  So, I haven't yet gone out hunting, but I got a nice sample anyhow.  These don't look as chunky as the cyanofriscosa's, have longer stems, slow bruising effect, and obvious wavy cap margins in age, which leads me to think cyanescens.  I'm sure you all will have some opinions!  These were in conifer bark, less than a quarter mile from the ocean, with rosemary, ornamental madrone, and agave plants. 
Happy hunting everyone!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCubeBensies
Stranger
Male

Loc: PNW
Re: Psilocybe cyanescens in Santa Barbara...again. [Re: Faunaphile]
    #13687825 - 12/26/10 06:54 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Awesome. I never had any luck when I lived in socal.

OfflinePrimal Call
Earth Mage
I'm a teapot

Loc: Here until here
    #13688440 - 12/26/10 09:14 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

i love that 4th shot! how clean it looks and that blue edge... so great!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I'm not sure if it's because the spores are only recently getting south, some other factor, or my imagination, but it seems the fruits south of SF are generally smaller... any thoughts?

still awesome! enjoy! :grin:

:peace:

--------------------
New Cultivator's Guide
Time to fruit? Pinning Strategy and Troubleshooting
My Trade Thread (Fungus, Plants, Herbal Medicine)

:peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace:

OfflineFaunaphile

Loc: Central Coast, CA
Re: Psilocybe cyanescens in Santa Barbara...again. [Re: Primal Call]
    #13690013 - 12/27/10 09:24 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Hey Ryath, thanks for the photo compliment.  There is something so irresistably photogenic about the blueing of cyans! I think the color just seems out of place on a little brown mushroom.  I am new to Psilocybe hunting and these and the friscosas I've found in SB are the only ones I've ever seen, so cant comment on size, but they are pretty small in general.  I'm wondering if they would even show down here in years with less than average fall-early winter rain?

OfflinePrimal Call
Earth Mage
I'm a teapot

#13690541 - 12/27/10 11:34 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Faunaphile said:
I'm wondering if they would even show down here in years with less than average fall-early winter rain?

As I understand it, all we have to do is keep providing new chips for nutrients in the spring and the mycelial network will expand. Then when fall comes with some watering or rainfall, they should ideally fruit again. Tending patches is something of a relationship, as Auweia (and I'm sure many others) have commented on. Respect the shrooms with care and love, and they will cycle their energy to us! :thumbup:

:peace:

--------------------
New Cultivator's Guide

:peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace:

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

#13692492 - 12/27/10 06:30 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Gnarly man :thumbup: ...

I was born and raised in SB, never thought you would be able to find wood-lover actives down there.

I'm just going to start keeping an eye out everywhere I go, seems like people are finding cyans/friscosas everywhere this year.

Utilize what you have and make some more patches eh'...

:stoner:

--------------------

OfflinePrimal Call
Earth Mage
I'm a teapot

Re: Psilocybe cyanescens in Santa Barbara...again. [Re: openmind]
    #13693143 - 12/27/10 08:31 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

openmind said:
I was born and raised in SB, never thought you would be able to find wood-lover actives down there.
I'm just going to start keeping an eye out everywhere I go, seems like people are finding cyans/friscosas everywhere this year.

I got impatient and decided about 2 weeks ago that I simply wouldn't find them here (about 1.5 hours north of SB). then 3 days later I found a small patch. then the next week I find another patch. and another in the same day. then another one christmas day.

point being... they are out there for sure. dont give up! Alan found them all the way in San Diego county.

--------------------
New Cultivator's Guide

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

#13694776 - 12/28/10 05:28 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Ryath said:
Quote:

openmind said:

I got impatient and decided about 2 weeks ago that I simply wouldn't find them here (about 1.5 hours north of SB). then 3 days later I found a small patch. then the next week I find another patch. and another in the same day. then another one christmas day....

Really!?..Damn...1.5 hour north of SB, so about the vicinity of Pismo Beach?

--------------------

OfflinePrimal Call
Earth Mage
I'm a teapot

#13695437 - 12/28/10 10:39 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

openmind said:
Really!?..Damn...1.5 hour north of SB, so about the vicinity of Pismo Beach? :stoner:

a little more north of there, but Pismo would be a good place to look as well. here's the posts if you want to browse :tongue2:

here and another.

--------------------
New Cultivator's Guide

Offlinejbodine
Stranger
    #24014409 - 01/16/17 11:29 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Hi all, long time lurker first time poster.

I live very close to SB and have been scouring the area ever since I read this post.  Walked around wood chips areas very close to the ocean (across the street to about 2 miles off the coast) several times now (5-6 hours yesterday).  I have found every look alike that exists for this species (at least it feels the way) but so far not the real deal. 

Its getting a little discouraging as I don't really know what I am doing wrong.  Has anyone confirmed sightings of cyans in the area this season?  I would think this would be an epic year for them here with the rains and the fact that so many people replaced their lawns with wood bark mulch!  Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by jbodine (01/16/17 11:41 AM)

OfflineGravity
Happy Learner
Male User Gallery

Loc: N. East Bay, San Francisc...
Re: Psilocybe cyanescens in Santa Barbara...again. [Re: jbodine] * 1
    #24014710 - 01/16/17 01:15 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

:whoawut:

--------------------

Edibles Found and Eaten

Chantrelles  Blewits  Shaggly Parasols  Honey Mushrooms  Candy Caps

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

Re: Psilocybe cyanescens in Santa Barbara...again. [Re: jbodine]
    #24015028 - 01/16/17 03:18 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

jbodine said:

Its getting a little discouraging as I don't really know what I am doing wrong.  Has anyone confirmed sightings of cyans in the area this season?  I would think this would be an epic year for them here with the rains and the fact that so many people replaced their lawns with wood bark mulch!  Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated!

You're prob not doing anything wrong, wood lover actives just aren't a common find that far south (sure they've been found down there, and even as far down as San Deigo, but they're not a common species that far south)....So you're likely going to have to put in many days & hours of hunting before you find an active species down there...Every spotting of woodlovers that I've heard of down in so-cal was found mostly by accident, so you might get lucky that way and come across some when you're not even intentionally looking.

I live farther up in northern California where wood lovers are bit more common, and it took me a few years of hunting before I found anything (my first active find was literally just 3 mushrooms, then the next year I found 3 patches around my town, the following year I found another).

Keep at it though!!...I think part of the reason we don't hear about woodlovers down in so-cal as often is because there's not as many people out looking for them down there. I was down in SB county recently (grew up down there) and did some hunting while I was down there, didn't find much of anything, didn't even see many non-actives (though this was right before the recent storms).

Some tips to save you time, you want to hunt for the ideal habitat more so than scoping out every single spread of woodchips that you see (doesn't hurt to look though, I can't help but glance every time I pass wood chips this time of year :lol: )...I'd say pass on looking at bark and stick to looking only at wood chips (they prefer chips and will rarely grow on bark as far as I know). Look at wood chips that have been in place for at least a year. Look at areas that have irrigation/sprinklers near by. Areas that are shaded by buildings or have bushes/plants nearby to create shade and a micro-climate.

All of my finds have been in spots that are on the north side of buildings (shaded), with sprinklers nearby, and woodchips that were put in place 2 to 4 years ago....think shopping plazas, banks, apartments, fast food places/restaurants, schools/colleges, etc....

But spots that are kinda blasted by the sun most of the day/year, spots that are wide open with no shade or bushes around, and spots that don't have any irrigation nearby...I don't spend much time hunting/looking through such habitats.

-OM

--------------------

Offlinejbodine
Stranger
    #24015269 - 01/16/17 04:44 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Thank you this helps a lot!  I've been mentally cataloging every site that has mulch on it!  haha

The other fun thing is staring into someones yard without looking like a total weirdo!  haha i think I've come up with a good cover though.  People are way less suspicious of someone staring at their wood chips if you appear to be on your phone engaged in a serious conversation:P 

As far as chips go I wanna say everything i have read says multi species chips?  Is this correct?  I see a lot of red wood bark down here but never see much of anything in it regardless of sun, plants irrigation etc. 

Have a few sweet sites that literally have acres of what you described above so perhaps you're right. maybe everything is correct and the timing isn't quite right yet.  We are looking at a possible 3 more inches of rain this week so that gives me hope. 

Speaking of rain do you know the average life cycle of cyans?  Best time frame to look for them after the rains?  I know it probably varies a lot due to many climatic and substrate conditions but thought i would ask regardless.

Thanks again the words of advise are most welcomed!

OfflineSteveinshell
Male User Gallery

Loc: North So Cal Flag
    #24015401 - 01/16/17 05:49 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Borrow someone's dog. That way it just looks like you're picking up dog shit when you start picking mushrooms.

I found two huge patches of cinctulus in pismo beach walking my dog this weekend after finding tons on horse manure last week. Both entirely by accident. I even collected them in to a dog crap pickup bag lol. The good shit!
Now I have 50 plus grams of extremely potent panaeolus cinctulus all found entirely by accident.

--------------------

Offlinejbodine
Stranger
Re: Psilocybe cyanescens in Santa Barbara...again. [Re: Steveinshell]
    #24015538 - 01/16/17 06:50 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Very nice! And thanks for the tip I'll take my pooch with me next time I'm on the prowl!!

I started off collecting delectable edibles a few years back and have only very recently (this season) have been getting into identifying actives. My confidence level in identifying anything other than cyans is pretty low at this point. I'll key up the species you listed and see how challenging they will be to ID. I have a few academic friends that can help ID but don't wanna abuse those relationships either.

OfflineSteveinshell
Male User Gallery

Loc: North So Cal Flag
    #24015561 - 01/16/17 06:58 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Cinctulus seem super easy to identify. Admittedly I'm new to active hunting in California. Really because this year is so wet and mushroomy is the only reason I've started actively hunting again. They are only really confused with one species and once you've held both in your hands you can pretty easily tell the difference.

--------------------

Offlinejbodine
Stranger
Re: Psilocybe cyanescens in Santa Barbara...again. [Re: Steveinshell]
    #24015583 - 01/16/17 07:04 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Any idea what the falsies ID is? Always find the best way to ID a friend is to know your enemies better!

Haha if you ever wanna see a whole mess of galerina and tubaria I'm your man! Hahahaha

OfflineHamra
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: Los Angeles
    #24016828 - 01/17/17 09:10 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

I'm in LA and have been wanring to go out to SB to look with all this rain. I picked some cyans over Christmas up in the Bay Area, but would love to find some cliser to home. Feel free to PM me with questions and let me know how it goes. I wanna try and make it out there in the next week or so. I have 25+ yrs experience harvesting in Seattle where I spent most of my life.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags