Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Pill Pusher
Loc: Armpit
Using quart jars instead of pints
    #1368595 - 03/12/03 10:01 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

My pet spider was wondering what opinions, if any, people may have of the quart jar method. In some ways, I think it's more convenient than using the standard pint jars. My spider's friend has used this method with some pretty good results.

This method cuts out some steps because the cakes can stay in the jar the entire time. A dark cloth should be used to cover the sides and the bottom of the jar and a cut out piece of transparancy should replace the lid when they are ready to be "birthed" so the mushrooms will grow upwards.

With this method a terrarium isn't needed since the jar itself will regulate the humidity and there is usually ample room for the mushrooms to grow. Does anyone know of any downsides of this method? Opinions?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
 User Gallery

Re: Using quart jars instead of pints [Re: CrazedGoat]
    #1368691 - 03/12/03 10:28 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I've never tried it, but, Ive seen/heard of people doing it with okay results. I'd say if you dont have the space for a terrarium, using a quart jar with the amount of substrate you put into a half pint would be good.

Its worth a try, eh?

Pitt Bull King

#1368718 - 03/12/03 10:39 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I see more downsides to this method than benefits. Let me get this right....you fill a quart jar like half way up with substrate, let it colonize, then fruit it inside the jar? Well first of all, PCing/boiling those monsters would be a bitch. You would have to put in like triple the work sterilizing your jars, for the same result. AND, there are many strains of cubes that would outgrow that thing before they are even halfway grown. I would feel horrible picking a potential monster shroom when its only a few inches tall. I am experimenting right now using this method, cept I am using a big ass pickle jar. I dont know if its a pint or what...
But anyways, it does work, I just found the flushes to be kind of weak. I am on the third flush right now, and where the first two flushes fit in there just fine, I have the feeling I'm gonna have to pop the top and put the jar in the terrerium for maximum benefits. So my advice is just pick a smaller strain like PR or something similar. Oh and when you innoculate, since you wont be able to get the needle INTO the substrate, just poke one hole in the center of the lid, poke the needle in there so its hanging a couple inches above the substrate, and move it all around when you squirt the solution. Basically just try and get spores to cover as much as the subsrtate as possible. But my advice is just buy a rubbermaid tub and some perlite. Under $10 for the whole setup at kmart. Hope this helps. Good luck. SD1

Yup, thats my dog.

Fuzzy McGee
Loc: N.Y., N.Y.
    #1368828 - 03/12/03 11:20 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

My friends lady's one legged mother urged me to mention that quarts is the way to go.
If u do it right colonization is about week & 1/2 for wbs; less jars to deal with.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation