Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinewhite_rabbit
alice in wonderland
would this work
    #1367435 - 03/11/03 10:58 PM (14 years, 15 days ago)

i want to save the time of doing the jars my ? is if i make a shit load of honey water then pasturize straw when the honey water is colonized can i just inject the live mycelium from the honey water into a straw casing will it colonize? when doing a casing of horse shit i found out that the shrooms are more potent growing from dung then growing on cakes. if i do a straw casing will the shrooms be more potent coming out of the straw instead of the cakes pf tek

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Re: would this work [Re: white_rabbit]
    #1367477 - 03/12/03 12:01 AM (14 years, 15 days ago)

yes you could. the two main points of spawn are:

1.) to provide a starting point of healthy, already growing mycelium so that colonization during the spawn run will take right off giving the mushroom mycelium a chance equal to or better than any other organism present.

2.) to give multiple inoculation points so the colonisation will take place as fast as possible for much the same reasons as the above.

liquid culkture inoculation satasfies these needs well so it is a viable option as long as it remains axenic (free of contaminant organisms).
honey water, IMHE, seems to be a magnet for contaminants. for some reason i have experienced signifigantly higher rates of inoculation vector contamination, largely yeasts and bacteria, using it than with any solid spawn media. i have heard of similar problems when using large amounts of liquid culture inoculants. i believe this may be due to the fact that nutritious liquid media allow the proliferation of anaerobes.

another thing to consider is wich substrates may be more apropriate for liquid inoculants than say grain based spawn. if you use a comercial steer manure based fertilizer, straw with a high alfalfa cont4ent such as timothy cobb hay, you may benifit by the nutrient suplementation provided by the grain used in the spawn. for others like the horse poo you mentioned or field gathered cow poo, i don't think it would matter

as far as the potency, i have not noticed much difference myself, but i have appreciated the size difference.

good luck, and let me know what you think of my ramblings.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlinewhite_rabbit
alice in wonderland
Re: would this work [Re: canid]
    #1368361 - 03/12/03 08:28 AM (14 years, 14 days ago)

good enough for me yes i agree with my few years of working with honey water it seems to contam alot easier but time wise its easir to replace of jug of honey water then it is to redo 100 jars

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology