Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Invisiblefrith
God

Loc: Philadelphia, PA Flag
Re: Hey, older computer guys, remember this HAHAHA [Re: Gumby]
    #13674247 - 12/23/10 02:22 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Gumby said:
You guys probably know this, but I just installed Ubuntu Netbook Remix on my netbook after the disaster I've had with the failed hard drive. I've read that Ubuntu or Linux Mint are the most user friendly for new users.

This is the first time I've attempted using Linux since like 98 or something, back then I tried RedHat and I couldn't figure the shit out. I'm going to figure out Linux this time come hell or high water.

good god.. yeah its changed a lot since 98.. hell, two years in the open source world is an eternity.

throw up a post in S&T.. there are plenty of us there to help out. i used to moderate a forum that focuses specifically on teaching new users how to use linux.

actually, it was for a podcast that (unfortunately) is no longer in production. you should check out the archive episodes though. they are still relevant and should help you on your way.. i had been using linux for a few years before i started listening to the show and i still learned a hell of a lot.

link:
http://www.linuxreality.com

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFungal-one
Kneegrow
Male User Gallery

Loc: No fuckin tellin
Re: Hey, older computer guys, remember this HAHAHA [Re: frith]
    #13674250 - 12/23/10 02:23 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

:hmm:

Why do I never visit S&T?

:dumbass:

--------------------
Never judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. But, by that time you're a mile away and you got his shoes, so fuck em.

Invisiblefrith
God

Re: Hey, older computer guys, remember this HAHAHA [Re: Fungal-one]
    #13674257 - 12/23/10 02:27 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

wish more people did.. it gets pretty quiet in there sometimes..

the community aspect of *nix is one of the most enjoyable parts about it.. been on the lookout for a good forum since my boards shut down. that place was the best. couldnt have loved it more.

--------------------

OfflineFungal-one
Kneegrow
Male User Gallery

#13674273 - 12/23/10 02:33 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I never found a board I liked. Bunch of snooty assholes that can only type RTFM.

I've been most self-taught by trail and error and reading the man pages (another thing that *nix does right).

Funny how Gumby goes from wanting to stab us in the neck to embracing teh kool-aid

I can imagine the thought process; Pfft, fuckin' Fungal's a moron, if he can do it I know I can

:lolsy:

--------------------
Never judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. But, by that time you're a mile away and you got his shoes, so fuck em.

Invisiblefrith
God

#13674327 - 12/23/10 03:00 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

haha..

the boards at Linux Reality were the best. it was small but big enough to have regular traffic of really cool, extremely smart people. its focus was on new users so the RTFM people generally didnt go there.. the more knowledgeable were there specifically to help others.

most tech boards on non-tech focused sites, and even tech focused boards, are painful (this one too on occasion). they are usually just frequented by 16-20 year olds who think they know everything. Linux Reality was really nice though.. it almost felt like a family.

ive kept in contact with (and met) most people from there.. known them longer than most of my friends..

most of us hang out together in IRC nowadays though. the people havent changed too much, just the medium..

alright enough nostalgia for me.. :awesome:

--------------------

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

#13674344 - 12/23/10 03:11 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Fungal-one said:
Funny how Gumby goes from wanting to stab us in the neck to embracing teh kool-aid

I can imagine the thought process; Pfft, fuckin' Fungal's a moron, if he can do it I know I can

Nah, installing Linux was really just a last resort. Installing Windows from a flash drive isn't supposed to be possible, and it turned out that it really wasn't possible. After trying to install four different XP ISOs a total of about 9-12 times, I said "Fuck this shit, I just want a working netbook that boots up" and went for Ubuntu. Ubuntu installed flawlessly... In like 15 minutes, including resizing the partition. I was dumbfounded at how fast it installed.

I've always wanted to learn Linux but never had the will power to do it. I figure if I'm forced to use it on the netbook I'll either have to learn it or break down and buy an external CD-ROM drive so I can set up a dual boot system.

Invisiblefrith
God

#13674359 - 12/23/10 03:19 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

linux has gotten to the point where digging down and really messing around on the command line is getting less and less necessary..

a lot of documentation and tips that people give you will still use the CLI because it is most efficient.

example:
sudo apt-get install example-package

vs

click on System. then under administration, click Synaptic package manager. search for what you want. click the check box next to the application, choose "Mark for installation". click apply. click OK.

everyone has a tipping point with linux where all of a sudden everything just clicks and you get it. you may not even notice it at first but its definitely there. as long as you can stick with it for a little while youll be fine.

--------------------

OfflineC20H25N3O
Calico Kahlia
 User Gallery

#13675056 - 12/23/10 09:59 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

*nix has come so far that i am even thinking about installing it on my dads computer. He really just uses the computer for web browsing and email.

I have been using it for about two years, but have recently started a job in august where I find myself spending most my time inside a bash shell. I have been learning a lot from people who have been using UNIX since the late 70s and 80s. History plus hands on mentoring is fun...although i have been spending most of my time learning theory behind IR and KDD. As an anthropology major in college I often wonder how did I get here.

--------------------

Calico Kahlia come tell me the news
Calamity's waiting for a way to get to her
Rosy red and electric blue
I bought you a paddle for your paper canoe

Say you'll come back when you can
Whenever your airplane happens to land
Maybe I'll be back here too
It all depends on what's with you

Invisiblefrith
God

Re: Hey, older computer guys, remember this HAHAHA [Re: C20H25N3O]
    #13675177 - 12/23/10 10:40 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

C20H25N3O said:
*nix has come so far that i am even thinking about installing it on my dads computer. He really just uses the computer for web browsing and email.

my mom and my bro, neither are computer literate at all, have been using it for years. hook your dad up with a fresh Mint installation and he should be good to go.

my bro bought a new thinkpad about 6 months ago. came with Win7. he started it up and we both played around with it for a few minutes. i asked him if he was going to keep windows on it.. "fuck no." haha.. made me so happy. :smile:

--------------------

OfflineFungal-one
Kneegrow
Male User Gallery

#13675587 - 12/23/10 12:51 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

frith said:
Quote:

C20H25N3O said:

my mom and my bro, neither are computer literate at all, have been using it for years. hook your dad up with a fresh Mint installation and he should be good to go.

my bro bought a new thinkpad about 6 months ago. came with Win7. he started it up and we both played around with it for a few minutes. i asked him if he was going to keep windows on it.. "fuck no." haha.. made me so happy. :smile:

I have a friend that was pretty computer illiterate. He bought a laptop a few years ago and quickly trashed it with adware and a virus from stupidly hitting random pr0n. I put Ubuntu on there and since he didnt know windows either it made no difference to him. He's been going strong ever since. He finally sees how superior it is to what he had. He's not had a single problem.

What IRC channel do you hang out at? I spend alot of time on freenode at #emc and #linux, well, I used to. I will again.

--------------------

Invisibleifoundwaldo

Loc: Denver, CO Flag
    #13675605 - 12/23/10 12:57 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

You nostalgia, you lose.

:smile:

--------------------

Invisible4runner
 User Gallery

Loc: State of Jefferson
    #13675706 - 12/23/10 01:21 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Gumby said:I've read that Ubuntu or Linux Mint are the most user friendly for new users.

Back about two years ago I was trying different linux distros. I find that a lot of them are fairly easy now a days to get a grasp on. The thing that sets Ubuntu apart is the community .Everyone is really helpful and most of the time using the search someone has already asked and been helped with your new problem so the knowledge is extensive. Mint and Ubuntu are pretty much the same thing if memory serves me right, very little difference.

And oh shit I forgot about backorifice/Bo2K. I did that same shit with sub7 and bo2k using Mirc to trick people or what I actually found easier was just using a port scanner and scanning for open sub7 ports. I would get on Dalnet and go to #sacramento run some whois queries to find out local ISP's ip ranges. Good way to get free dial up accounts to use. Also have complete romote control over some random persons computer was amusing.

OfflineIdiot
I Am Moron!
Male User Gallery

Loc: 41.90231, 12.45390 Flag
Re: Hey, older computer guys, remember this HAHAHA [Re: ifoundwaldo]
    #13675736 - 12/23/10 01:32 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I'd love to get more into *nix but I couldn't get a connection on my laptop, something about my chipset not being compatible. 

A year or two ago I was trying to dual boot ubuntu with windows in an attempt to rid myself of windows but after the chipset problem and not getting any help from people who seemed proficient with linux I just left the installation there to collect dust.

--------------------

Customize your Shroomery experience!
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

OfflineFungal-one
Kneegrow
Male User Gallery

Re: Hey, older computer guys, remember this HAHAHA [Re: Idiot]
    #13675758 - 12/23/10 01:40 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Give some hardware details, idiot.

--------------------

OfflineIdiot
I Am Moron!
Male User Gallery

#13675825 - 12/23/10 01:56 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Oh I had a thread or two about it and there is always a bit of disconnect when getting help from a forum.

Anyways, while looking up the old threads I noticed I didn't give the clearest of specs.  I'll post back, when I'm not at work, with the specs.

--------------------

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

OfflineFungal-one
Kneegrow
Male User Gallery

Re: Hey, older computer guys, remember this HAHAHA [Re: Idiot]
    #13675834 - 12/23/10 01:58 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

:dumbass:

--------------------

OfflineIdiot
I Am Moron!
Male User Gallery

#13675852 - 12/23/10 02:03 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

...yeah after rereading those threads I feel like a newb, most likely cause I am.

--------------------

Invisiblem00nshine
ÜBER SHAMAN
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BALLS DEEP
    #13675948 - 12/23/10 02:32 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah dude, linux nowadays isn't that difficult to use,
but I feel you on that redhat '98 shit, though :rofl:

I actually had it working but for the life of me could not
get ppp to work. It got to the point where I printed out
all relevant man pages and still couldn't get it... Had
a more experienced friend take a look and I had forgotten
to uncomment a section, so retarded :dumblol:

Ubuntu now is awesomesauce. Command line is easy, too.
Just stick to it, you'll get it. It's the best way to
get shit done :yesnod:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom