Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Loc: Inner Eye
Depression and Medication
    #1366388 - 03/11/03 03:23 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I cant fall asleep untill 6-7am, and dont wake up sometimes untill 6pm at night. This depression is getting worse, I hate it. Sometimes I wont even leave the house, but usually I go stir crazy enough to go out and do something.

I take mediication (Zoloft, Effexor) to help, but its almost like its preventing me to cry about the situation, to react to the situation with the emotion any other person going crazy would! I mean, I give the medication credit for helping alot over the past 10 years, but I can also see how it stops you from REALLY feeling the hurt.
I almost feel like stopping the meds.

Anyone here with moderate to semi-severe to severe depression want to share for the rest of us?

Thanks for reading...

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
Just take my clothes and leave
And I'll be gone

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCherk
Narc
Male User Gallery

Loc: International
Re: Depression and Medication [Re: Northernsoul]
    #1366589 - 03/11/03 04:35 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

My view on anti-depressants has always been this: I believe they do nothing except block the problems from entering your brain. They dull you down enough to where you can't think about the problems. I think with a good psychologist the meds can pretty useful. It takes more than a pill cure depression, you have to want to change. If you haven't already you should check out some Buddhism books on happiness, life, ect... I have a friend who was pretty depressed, now he takes 125mg of Zoloft a day. He's definately become a different person, he's not as attentive as he used to be and his happiness appears to be phony to me.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
    #1368171 - 03/12/03 07:25 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Hi Northernsoul!

First of all, my opinion on "happy pills" is that they cause more harm than good. They are not solutions to the problem. They merely provide temporary relief of outward symptoms that are caused by a much deeper issue.

Psychiatrists these days find it much easier to simply write a prescription for someone rather than really talking to them and helping them get to the roots of their emotional problems. I know a lot of people who take anti-depressants, and from what I have seen, I would never take them myself.

First of all, everyone I know who takes the anti-depressants has become seriously dependent on them! Sure, the pills make them a generally happier person. But if they stop taking them, they fall into an even deeper depression than they were before! This proves that the pills do not cure your depression. They simply get rid of it for the time being.

This doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't you rather be cured of an illness rather than have to be reliant on pills to keep the symptoms away for the rest of your life? I know I would!

You said that you almost feel like stopping the meds. I would urge you to do so! But be prepared for what will come afterwards. You will most likely feel more depressed than you were before the meds. This won't last forever, though. You need to find other things to keep the depression away once you stop taking the pills. You need to start looking for a real cure!

One of my roommates was recently successful in getting off his anti-depressant medication. He said it was really hard at first, but now he feels just as good as he did when he was on the pills, without any pills involved!

He's found other paths to happiness in his life. He used to have sleeping problems very similar to yours, but he found that all he needed to do was force himself to get back on a normal sleep schedule. If you have to, make yourself stay up all day sometime and then go to bed at a normal time. Then set your alarm to get yourself up early the next morning, and keep this schedule going!

My roommate has also started taking walks everday, as he would sometimes stay in the house for days at a time as well. Staying in all the time can be very bad for your mental health! I feel that your living space has a lot to do with your mind. If you are confined to a house all the time, your mind is confined as well. It's very obvious. I mean, a dog who is allowed to run free is much happier than a dog who is stuck in a cage all the time, no?

Also, I think the cleanliness of the space you live in has a similar effect on the mind. I noticed my roommate started becoming a clean freak after he stopped his medecine. There are never dirty dishes in the sink, the carpets are always vaccuumed, and there is no clutter anywhere! He said it makes him feel happier when the place he lives in is clean. It seems that a clean home equals a clean mind!

Anyway... I hope that something I said here has helped you. I cannot relate directly to your problems, but I know a lot of people who can. Whether you decide to stop your medication or not, I urge you to find a therapist who will sit down and talk with you about your problems rather than simply prescribing you a pill. Battling depression is a very hard thing to do alone.

Good luck, Northernsoul!

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
    #1370622 - 03/12/03 08:33 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

It's not a good idea to stop taking medication after 10 years, at least not at once. You said it yourself that they helped you a lot, it is possible that you got too used to them and that they're not effective anymore. Discuss it with your doctor, request different medicaments with less side effects if possible.
Good luck!

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
Re: Depression and Medication [Re: zeronio]
    #1374001 - 03/13/03 10:12 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

yea stick to the meds. i have been the same place in life before not wanting to socialize or go out of the house and just sleep all the time. what i like to do is try to rediscover myself and really learn to live life again ya know. takeup a new hobby anything to get your mind off of spiralling downward out of control. i think self-motivation will be the healer to any depression at least for me. good luck bro and hope everything comes out ok.

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: socratesmind]
    #1374049 - 03/13/03 10:49 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

InvisibleWhite_Widow
Lost fairy

Loc: Sweet Old Europe
    #1374056 - 03/13/03 10:53 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

First of all: wonderful avatar!

Soon after: DON'T stop medications without medical support! I've been on antidepressents for four long periods of my life and every time the result has been different, but in the end depression has never left me. I can only cope with it when I'm in love or with a good toke... I've tried many different kinds of therapy, but it seems like there's nothing to get me out of here...
I'm lucky just because I have a really supporting boyfriend and though he never manages to get me out of my altered state he still can be on my side.
All I can remember about antidepressants is a "numb" state that led me to consider fisically suppressing "enemies" the first time, taking my life the second time, smashing everything I could the third time and a heavy vacuum the forth. None of the four was pleasant or basically solving my problem.

Expose yourself to the light of sun as much as you can. Make plans (no matter if you realize them). Try to find "loving" people to keep around you... or make new friends over the net as well. I've found some (very few) good friends to be e-mail-palls and that helped me a bit.

PM me if you need...

--------------------
"Love is the law; love under will..."

OfflineSolo
enthusiast
Re: Depression and Medication [Re: White_Widow]
    #1390555 - 03/19/03 08:18 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Only take psychiatric advice from a psychiatrist.

Never take psychiatric advice from teenagers who are recreational drug users.

I had the same syptoms as you when I was in college. I didn't take meds then. I do now and am glad i do. With regards to them blocking your 'feelings' you should realize that the 'fight or flight' center of your brain over reacts to normal amounts of stress. Additionally, often times the emotional reactions that you would 'feel' from everyday life connect with past trauma's, hense the overreaction.

Depression is a brain illness. When you have a broken leg see an orthopedic doctor, when you have depression see a psychiatric doctor.

Offlinebillbraski
just some dood.

Loc: the woods behind your hou...
    #1406540 - 03/24/03 04:51 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I would like to recommend a book that inspired me out of my depression.
It's called "On the Heights of Despair" by Emil M. Cioran.
It is philosophy and was written when the author was on his 'heights of despair' from insomnia. The book is pure intellectual genious, and very unlike other philosophy. The book is rare and may be hard to find.
But if you can find it at your library, get it!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being