Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Jim Morrison

Loc: Florida
A Chemical to test Shrroms ???
    #1366106 - 03/11/03 01:41 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I have a question for all... I was on this site that was talking about mushroom identification.  The guide said to take the stems of the shrooms and place them in a tray with Metol. ( It said Metol is use in developing photo's and could be obtained from a camera shop?)???  After about 30 minutes the stems are suppose to be blue if you have a good one.....  Is this true?  And if so wouldnt this be a better way of identifying the good ones from the bad ones.....  Any answers anyone???

THE MAD SCIENTIST :cool: :cool: 

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator

Re: A Chemical to test Shrroms ??? [Re: TripsterD]
    #1366659 - 03/11/03 05:03 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: A Chemical to test Shrroms ??? [Re: TripsterD]
    #1366713 - 03/11/03 05:31 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Just bruising the mushroom with a fingernail or knife edge is the standard way professional mycologists do it.

The active ingredient in Metol was p-methylaminophenol sulfate. That's not a chemical you want to ingest. And you certainly wouldn't want to take something you were considering eating and soak it in a solution of that stuff for 30 minutes before you ate it. Note the warnings for handling it on this page.

Happy mushrooming!

Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: A Chemical to test Shrroms ??? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1367759 - 03/12/03 04:21 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Usually if there is a good crop growing the shrooms will already have bluing in them from wind, rain or damaged frompeople walking acr0oss a lawn or a patch and causing physical harm to the shrooms.

TO give a goood example,

This phot below of Psilocybe stuntzii Guzman and Ott was collected on the lawn of the art museum at Volunteer Park in 1976. OF course there are no more stuntzii's on that lawn since about 1979 when they stoped fertilizing the lawn due to lack of funds.

So I am not giving a location.

See the bluing. I cut away this custer froma whoile row of them to show how the bluing is there with out having to pinch the stem. Remember that liberty caps have little bluing int hem ever but those one would have to pinch. The azures, cyans and stuntaiz and Baeos are always have some bluing in them at one time or another in their fresh stages.

HEre are some baby Psilocybe cyanescens with a greenish tinge to them, the bluing mixes with the drying leathery yellowtan skin of the cap to make green becasue that is what blue and yellow make.

And see the little spots of green tinges along the outer edges of the cap. and in the center with a spot of light blue. Those were there naturally that color when i photographed them.

and one more with some blue-greenish tinges

And a large grouping of four shrooms fromthe edge of the muclbed in the grass and turned dopewn to photograph the blue in the stems of this image.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification