Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOreganic
Connoisseur of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Orygun
Re: Psilocybe pelliculosa? [Re: Dubwobble]
    #13645013 - 12/16/10 11:41 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Dubwobble said:
In general, the Psilocybe's will have a whitish stem, and the Pelliculosa I have found do bruise blue when fresh.

Generalizing will do you no good when you are trying to identify mushrooms of any genus. And pelliculosa most certainly do not have white stems. Also, I rarely see bluing on P. pelliculosa. I have seen very faint bluing on the base of maybe 4 or 5 out of over 100 specimen. If you have pictures of bluing Pellis I would love to see..

Quote:

Dubwobble said:
And, as stated - every identification of an unknown starts with a spore print.

I'd say that it starts with being able to identify some basic macroscopic characteristics (where is it growing, what substrate, gill colors, etc..) which help narrow things down GREATLY.. I knew I found pelliculosa before ever taking a spore print - but, of course I took a spore print to help verify.

--------------------

Edited by Oreganic (01/06/11 01:05 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDubwobble
Psilocybe Stoopin'
Male User Gallery

Loc: CA, USA Flag
Re: Psilocybe pelliculosa? [Re: Oreganic]
    #13645084 - 12/16/10 11:56 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Well - Psilocybe Pelliculosa's stem is NOT brown. It is def more "whitish" than the sample Maynard has posted. It has whitish "tufts" that run down the stem.

If you would like to see an actual printed picture please reference "Psilocybe Mushrooms & Their Allies" by Paul Stamets page 44 color plate 21.
* He also states that some fresh collections turn blue.
Argue with him if you'd like.

A similar species I have found is P. Strictipes, but stains blue readily and fruits earlier than Pelliculosa (at least in my experience). It also has a stem that is more whitish than brown.

If you find a LBM that doesn't have a white stem, than most likely it is NOT a Psilocybe.

Also, if you re-read my statement, you should agree.
"every identification of an unknown starts with a spore print."
Notice I said unknown species.

And anyways, a spore print id is a "macroscopic characteristic".
Macroscopic means readily identified with the naked eye.

--------------------

Edited by Dubwobble (12/17/10 12:11 AM)

Offlinepsylosymonreturns
aka Gym Sporrison
Male

Loc: Mos Eisley,
    #13645407 - 12/17/10 01:13 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

are you coming from experience or from a picture in a book? the stems can be quite brown like how lib stems can be brown IMO.

the more you hang out here he more you'll see that book isnt written in stone like it used to be.

--------------------

OfflineDubwobble
Psilocybe Stoopin'
Male User Gallery

Re: Psilocybe pelliculosa? [Re: psylosymonreturns]
    #13645478 - 12/17/10 01:41 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Come on now...

Experience.

Are you saying that people should look for brown stemmed Psilo's?

Then you are throwing people off course !

White stemmed LBM's should elicit scrutiny... you gotta agree with that....?

Either way, collect your P. Peillulosa's.
They barely get you high anyways. Honestly I never felt shit.
They also dry up to almost nothing.
Maybe 50 mushies will make you feel a little bit (but still weigh less than an eighth!)

Also read in M.D. about Pelliculosa. Are you gonna state that David Arora is wrong too?

Anyways - this thread is about what Maynard asked about.

What Maynard has/had prob. was not an active species.

--------------------

Edited by Dubwobble (12/17/10 02:57 AM)

Offlinepsylosymonreturns
aka Gym Sporrison
Male

#13645527 - 12/17/10 02:01 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

i am saying that in my experience semis and pellis and even stuntziis can have brown stems too. i dont throw em out cuz they are not white, do you?
pellislibs

i will upload some more pics tommorow if ya want.

--------------------

OfflineDubwobble
Psilocybe Stoopin'
Male User Gallery

Re: Psilocybe pelliculosa? [Re: psylosymonreturns]
    #13645534 - 12/17/10 02:06 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Dude, I've never scene ones like those.

I would pass them up, but then again I am not too familiar with Pelliculosa. Only the ones I found.

Honestly, I think I would not even notice those (duh!)... I would prob. think they are YAM's :tongue:

Did you spore print them and found them to be dark chocolate brown / purple brown or black (I imagine you did :blush:)

Thanks for the pics

=)

Have you ever noticed "activity" in those samples?

Edited by Dubwobble (12/17/10 02:58 AM)

OfflineOreganic
Connoisseur of Life
 User Gallery

#13645640 - 12/17/10 02:58 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Dubwobble said:

I would pass them up, but then again I am not too familiar with Pelliculosa. Only the ones I found.

Honestly, I think I would not even notice those (duh!)... I would prob. think they are YAM's :tongue:

:stanhopefacepalm: Dude.. really. You should be careful how you present yourself. Because while you "claim" to have experience with this species, it seems you reeeeally don't. Here are my examples, in case you need more reference. They don't have white stems at all, IMO. They are very RED, not brown - especially in the field. Sure, nobody should be looking for brown stemmed psilocybes, but, again, people also shouldn't be generalizing. But in my experience, and from every single picture I have seen of P. pelliculosa, the stipe has a considerable red hue.

--------------------

Edited by Oreganic (12/17/10 02:59 AM)

OfflineDubwobble
Psilocybe Stoopin'
Male User Gallery

Re: Psilocybe pelliculosa? [Re: Oreganic]
    #13645664 - 12/17/10 03:05 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Uhm...

Your attitude is patronizing.

Quote:

But in my experience, and from every single picture I have seen of P. pelliculosa, the stipe has a considerable red hue

Again, please look in a real guide and you will see the same mushies I am talking about (M.D. page 371 for info and "Psilocybe Mushrooms & Their Allies" page 44).

Also see (within this site): http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/13516772

I trust the experts pics, not yours (sorry)... if you posted a spore print maybe I'd believe you. Until then they look like Mycena's

=)

I have found p> Pelliculosa mushrooms.

I am still not sure what you found is.

I have not posted any pics (yet).

If what you have are Psylo's, then I would recommend most people stick to other psylo's than these to start with.

Have you eaten what you have found, and gotten high ?

Sorry if come across as a douchebag, it is not my intent... the only intent to to LEARN and share information so that others may LEARN.

Edited by Dubwobble (12/17/10 03:20 AM)

OfflineAmorosa
Peppy Picker

Loc: Greater Sacramento, Calif...
    #13645677 - 12/17/10 03:15 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Everyone's experience is valuable, but you can't say you're not very familiar with them, and then argue about the finer points of a mushroom's appearance. I don't have any experience at all with these, though, so for a nice variety of specimens to examine: MO observations
To my untrained eye, it looks like the stem color can vary, but they definitely aren't only white. Probably a better idea to rely on other features. :shrug:

--------------------
I don't know what I'm doing but I'm having fun learning!

OfflineDubwobble
Psilocybe Stoopin'
Male User Gallery

Re: Psilocybe pelliculosa? [Re: Amorosa]
    #13645683 - 12/17/10 03:18 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Like a spore print? I think I mentioned that.

--------------------

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
    #13645687 - 12/17/10 03:20 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

It's been established and confirmed in another thread that his finds were P. pelliculosa. Every single specimen in the last three pics is one. So there really isn't much use in arguing about it.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

OfflineOreganic
Connoisseur of Life
 User Gallery

#13645689 - 12/17/10 03:20 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Dubwobble said:
Um.

Your attitude is patronizing.

I'm sorry, I'm trying to inform, while you kind of spouted random info that wasn't very pertinent.

Quote:

Dubwobble said:
I have found these mushrooms.
I am still not sure what you found is.

I have not posted any pics (yet).

Ok, well, please share your specimen, since you are so speculative.

Quote:

Dubwobble said:
If what you have are Psylo's, then I would recommend most people stick to other psylo's than these to start with.

:lol: Well, I certainly agree with the second part. These aren't for the average "high seeker". These aren't what you go searching for if your looking for a quick high. Not at all... They take a keen eye, a good bit of luck, and a lot of patience. As for the first part... yes. These are "Psylo's" as you call them. They are Psilocybe pelliculosa and they have been verified by numerous Trusted Identifiers on this forum.

Quote:

Dubwobble said:
Have you eaten what you have found, and gotten high ?

To be honest, no, I personally have yet to. But I intend on it soon.

Quote:

Dubwobble said:
Sorry if come across as a douchebag, it is not my intent... the only intent to to LEARN and share information so that others may LEARN.

Well, I'm glad we've come here for the same purpose. But please, if you feel like placing these random information out there, at least back this up with pictures, or something tangible. You haven't presented yourself well.. :shrug: Sorry if I sound condescending because that really is not my point. But I don't think I'm alone on my stance.

--------------------

OfflineDubwobble
Psilocybe Stoopin'
Male User Gallery

Re: Psilocybe pelliculosa? [Re: German Kahuna]
    #13645691 - 12/17/10 03:24 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Nice one.

Now I have seen others that vary a bit from the norm.

Thanks.

So we are in agreement that what Maynard found was prob. not a Psilocybe correct?

Also, what wasn't pertinent about my info?

I'll try to be more polite BTW.

--------------------

Edited by Dubwobble (12/17/10 03:31 AM)

OfflineAmorosa
Peppy Picker

Loc: Greater Sacramento, Calif...
    #13645692 - 12/17/10 03:25 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I'm not saying I doubt you found them, just providing a variety of observations to check out.

--------------------
I don't know what I'm doing but I'm having fun learning!

OfflineOreganic
Connoisseur of Life
 User Gallery

#13645722 - 12/17/10 03:43 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Dubwobble said:
So we are in agreement that what Maynard found was prob. not a Psilocybe correct?

Yup.

Quote:

Dubwobble said:
Also, what wasn't pertinent about my info?

Well, to start, this...

Quote:

Dubwobble said:

Then this.

Quote:

Dubwobble said:
I trust the experts pics, not yours (sorry)... if you posted a spore print maybe I'd believe you. Until then they look like Mycena's

And this...

Quote:

Dubwobble said:
Well - Psilocybe Pelliculosa's stem is NOT brown. It is def more "whitish" than the sample Maynard has posted. It has whitish "tufts" that run down the stem.

And this too... yes,

Quote:

Dubwobble said:

Quote:

Dubwobble said:
Good luck eating those BTW. Try about 50 maybe you'll get some tracers.

Did you not read my above post which stated I picked over 100 of these specimen? And honestly, that is a low ball, at this point I probably have 200 dried. And I'm going to pick more tomorrow in fact. But, the point is that I am not hunting these for the high buddy! I have 2 ounces of dried cyans in my closet, that reeeeally isn't a worry for me.. Heh.  :commonsense:

Quote:

Dubwobble said:
I'll stick to my 2 caps of Cyans.

PLEASE do...

--------------------

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
    #13645726 - 12/17/10 03:44 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Correct. All LBMs. Psathyrella, Mycena, etc.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

OfflineDubwobble
Psilocybe Stoopin'
Male User Gallery

Re: Psilocybe pelliculosa? [Re: German Kahuna]
    #13645898 - 12/17/10 06:03 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Why would you pick over 200+ of something that is BARELY active, let alone something you were not 100% on??? I hope you left a few to spread the colony.

So OTHER than your WET Pelliculosa, and some other various specimens, most North Western Psilocybes have a whitish stem, with a viscid brown cap, and stain blue (when fresh)... or am I wrong?

BTW - I have more Cyans than you already this season Oreganic, trust me brah! Just wait for the mega-upload of pics.

Your are acting like an ass. Nothing I said was off.

I am trying to come off as self depreciating at this point.

We are helping comment on Maynards finds BTW.

-------------

If you find something wrong with my OWN threads I will def. appreciate your knowledge my fellow mycophile.

Edited by Dubwobble (12/17/10 06:38 AM)

InvisibleKokanee Shroom
Amature Herpetologist

Loc: PNW
Re: Psilocybe pelliculosa? [Re: maynardjameskeenan]
    #13645937 - 12/17/10 06:40 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Galerina Heterocystis
Psathyrella

OfflineHarryL
Squnä'am
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington State
Re Psilocybe pelliculosa? [Re: Dubwobble]
    #13645950 - 12/17/10 06:54 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

From what I have seen, there are variants and subspecies in most of these mushroom groups... Ie, you both are probably right... White stem, brownish stem, brown reddish stem... All possible... The gelatinous pelli, habitat and spore print are more telling... I have seen variations even in geographic areas... And as pointed out, other good mushrooms (and bad) fruit with pelliculosa.

With something like 170 types of Psilocybe, and how many are not known yet.... Who knows!

P. pelliculosa pelliculosa.... Vs  p pelliculosa ...

Yes... 4 gm dried is probably a minimal dose.. 8 gm a good high...

It's fun to hunt... Can't always just be about the destination... The journey is what lifes about in my mind!!

Happy hunting!

Bad news is looks like my happy hunting grounds are going to freeze!!!

--------------------
Mushroom hunting:  One bad mushroom can ruin your day! Know it or throw it.

Offlinepsylosymonreturns
aka Gym Sporrison
Male

Re: Re Psilocybe pelliculosa? [Re: HarryL]
    #13646214 - 12/17/10 09:01 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

ive eaten them but they are not very potent.i printed about 40 aswell. i will make tea next time , it was just too much to eat physically, they were quite gritty. i would rather eat like 10 dried cyans then 100 of these my self. but it is fun to try different species so why not pick them and eat them ?

now ya the stems are a reddish brown or brown sometimes. this doesnt just happen with with pellies, it happens with stuntzii and semilanceata too. thee is a lot of variation from the atypical specimen. it takes years to notice these, but after 18 years you do see this kind of thing all the time.
these 3 species are alll not high on the list for psilocin content, and are not known to be heavy bruisers.i find the more heavey bruisers like cyans and say subs all maintain the consistent white stem. maybe natures way of exibiting the blueing reaction.:shrug:

and brah its not a competition. and not everyone uploads every haul for bragging rights anyways.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags