Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLiquidSmoke
My title's cooler than yours DBK

Loc: S.A.G.G.Y.B.A.L.L.S.
The philosphy of love
    #1361302 - 03/09/03 08:35 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I was just thinking about how many people believe in a "soul mate".

Basically saying there is one person out there who is your perfect match. Your completion. Your better half.

It seems like this is the approach many people take in falling in love and with relationships. Do you believe this is truely how things are in this world?

With all due respect, I personally don't believe in it. I used to think it when I fell in love with my first girlfriend in college. It seemed like she was the perfect embodiment of everything I held dear. Then we broke up, and moved on. (it was mainly my decision)

I know people who go half their lives married to someone who is supposedly their "soul mate" and they end up getting a divorce after several kids and years of being together. What does that tell you about this sort of pre-destination of lovers?

I chose to believe that life is not a love story, and that in all actuality, the person you fall in love with and marry and such is simply someone who is very compatible with your personality and humanity. And that is all. If there was only ONE SINGLE person who was to be your "soul mate" in a world inhabitted by billions of people and stretched out for thousands of miles, then how do you not know he or she is some african village lady who doesn't even know how to speak english?

Then again you can say it's not random selection, but I can come forth with a conclusion that the person you fall in love with and have kids with is simply a member of a group of people whom you would be compatible with. A "type" of individual rather than a single selected soul of matchable perfection.

I dunno, what's your take on this?

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGrowingVines
Slowly Changinginto a Tree
Loc: GA
Re: The philosphy of love [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #1361364 - 03/09/03 09:12 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

A person does not need a "better half". Some people i know get so friggin depressed when they don't have a chick to be around. So i call them pathetic. If you need someone to make you happy when you can't do it yourself, well i am sorry to say, but you are pathetic. Having a partner can be a good thing or bad thing. Just let it happen, if you meet a girl that likes you and you like her, then hook up. If it doesn't work, then just seporrate and get on with ya'lls lives.

--------------------
Peace out my brothers, for everyone has a bit of insanity in them

InvisibleXibalba
Stranger
Re: The philosphy of love [Re: GrowingVines]
    #1361519 - 03/09/03 10:57 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I believe in any one of the following 4 scenarios...

1. There really is only one girl for me- my perfect match. She is, as you suspected, in a remote African village, speaks no English, is oblivious to my existence and I will never meet her. Oh well.

2. Actually there are many who would be the perfect woman for me, unfortunately, there are none for whom I am the right man. Life's funny like that.

3. I've already met my soulmate, didn't realize it at the time, and she's already gone on to settle for the second best guy, with whom she will live adequately ever after.

4. Not only is there no soulmate for me out there, there is no one alive I would be even halfway compatible with. In a world inhabited by billions of people, statistically there must be at least a few of us...

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
    #1361619 - 03/10/03 01:31 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I reckon there is no perfect person, just people you are more or less compatible with. I reckon in love you go all blinker-eyed and believe a person is perfect and that no other person could be so great and they must be a soulmate.

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

OfflineFliquid
Back from being gone.
Male User Gallery

Loc: omotive
    #1361663 - 03/10/03 02:30 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I think because we're all controled by chemicals and electricity. Sometimes we get a bit lyed to by our own senses. And we project our wished quality's on a person who sends out signals you decode as attractive. (In short).

--------------------
:dancing: My latest music! :yesnod:

InvisibleIn(di)go
People of the sun.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cologne, Germany
Re: The philosphy of love [Re: GrowingVines]
    #1361679 - 03/10/03 02:57 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

i totally agree with you, growingvines... you dont need no one but yourself to be happy... there is a wondefrul book about the secrets of love and relationship out there, that i recommend to everyone... its called "the mastery of love" by Don Miguel Ruiz... it opened my eyes to SO many things...

--------------------

OfflineCrass
Explorer of theMind

#1362036 - 03/10/03 07:07 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I've noticed a lot of people who say "They're my soul mate", arn't really being fair. They might look around for guys and if they see a cute one and who is in their 'style', they instantly fall in love with him. Well what about the other billions of guys which she'll never even give a chance. So I'm basically saying that they only WANT that person to be perfect for them, but there is always two people who meet on a coincidence and really do seem like they're perfect for each other.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #1362106 - 03/10/03 07:43 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I once met a girl who was perfect for me, except for the fact that she didn't feel the same way about me.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Invisibletak_old
Endo Smoke

Loc: State of confusion
Re: The philosphy of love [Re: silversoul7]
    #1364145 - 03/10/03 09:45 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I love everything.

InvisibleHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
Re: The philosphy of love [Re: silversoul7]
    #1370005 - 03/12/03 05:27 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

People only want things they cant have.

--------------------

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
Re: The philosphy of love [Re: HarveyWalbanger]
    #1370046 - 03/12/03 05:37 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I donno. If my soulmate exists, I most likely won't run into her in my lifetime considering the world is so fucking HUGE!

But I used to have dreams of my anima, and she/it was alot like me, but more innocent. I felt a strong connection with that (her) and pondered about soulmates and all that then.

I saw a girl years ago that fit this discription, I could see her personality and who she was just by looking at her. But I was too chicken to talk to her.......but at the time it was understandable. I'm very picky about finding a girl.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology